• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The "Wilmington". A Better Benge?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
The challenge with Benge is that for the past 40 years, the marque has suffered from management that showed little or no respect for the original designs and quality.
I suppose the same could be said for just about any company- especially Bach, and perhaps Schilke most specifically...
I have read that each has tried to improve on "the dogs" that were produced for one reason or another over time,
but I'm not sure if this refers to materials (mandrels, quality brass, valves) or details and consistency of assembly? Or maybe both?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I just ask that they go the full measure and honor the lives of the assembled masters (Elden Benge, Zig Kanstul, Byron Autrey, and more) that dedicated so much of their lives to the brand.

The BAC team saved every scrap of paper Byron or Zig had made notes on found wadded in the backs of drawers at Kanstul, and went to great lengths (I was in the middle at first) to obtain everything relevant from Byron's estate, including his last work that would otherwise have been lost. What you ask is what they intend.

At the end of the day though, what matters is how a horn plays and how it sounds. I expect that with the new valves, the Benge will be even more faithful to the characteristics of that line (and first feedback was excellent), and ultimately further Benge's goal of building a better Besson than Besson ever did.

(yeah, I said "goal" - people will debate endlessly if that goal has been achieved yet, but some really great horns have filled the last century as a result of that pursuit by these great masters)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
I just ask that they go the full measure and honor the lives of the assembled masters (Elden Benge, Zig Kanstul, Byron Autrey, and more) that dedicated so much of their lives to the brand.

The BAC team saved every scrap of paper Byron or Zig had made notes on found wadded in the backs of drawers at Kanstul, and went to great lengths (I was in the middle at first) to obtain everything relevant from Byron's estate, including his last work that would otherwise have been lost. What you ask is what they intend.

At the end of the day though, what matters is how a horn plays and how it sounds. I expect that with the new valves, the Benge will be even more faithful to the characteristics of that line (and first feedback was excellent), and ultimately further Benge's goal of building a better Besson than Besson ever did.

(yeah, I said "goal" - people will debate endlessly if that goal has been achieved yet, but some really great horns have filled the last century as a result of that pursuit by these great masters)

Well said, Ron.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: