• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

beginning trumpet class

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan184
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: beginning trumpet class Reply with quote

hello
i just found out i'll be teaching a beginning trumpet class for 50 minutes a day for two weeks. there will be 7 trumpet players in the class that have never played. i'd be surprised if any of them can read music.
what's the best plan of attack?
thanks
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are they?

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
Ryan184
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all 6th graders, so 11 or 12 i suppose
robertgrier
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First show them how to make a sound, any sound on the horn. Some will get lucky and some will need help. You will need to model on the horn A LOT! second show them how to take a deep breath and blow. Third show them how to start the note with their tongue. Then get a good beginning trumpet book and teach from the book. Important, have a LOT of patience. Play recordings for them. most if not all of them have never seen a trumpet much less heard one
www.bobgriermusic.com
bgrierjr@triad.rr.com
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:
It seems that most beginning band books have you play 2 weeks of "G" then you get to press your valves down...Then you do some 1/2 notes...etc.
For a two week intro class such as this would it be better to TRY to get some small tunes out of them instead...true they'll need to tongue and press valves down and count...but by playing a tune they know would that tend to flow easier then just doing exercises??

I realize you might have to put the valves on top of each note and the count of each note...but still, better then playing 2 weeks of whole notes "G" (Unless your doing the CAT ANDERSON book)
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you get them to be able to play any open note, have them practice slow trills. That way there will be a little action and they will feel like something is being accomplished. open to 2 , open to 1 etc.

All they really need to do is hold long tones until they can play notes more easily but they will get too bored doing that.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: