• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

good rep. for beginner students

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan1020

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: good rep. for beginner students Reply with quote

I have students ranging from 4th-7th grade. During the school year i helped them with their lesson music, scales, fundamentals, NYSSMA music, etc etc, but as the summer approaches I am not certain on what direction i should go with the students as far as rep.

Granted each student is on a different level and I give them assignments based on what they can/cannot do.

My idea is to keep them reading new music and learning more styles (along with maintaining and improving fundamental aspects of playing)..does anyone know good solo books for beginners (Ive searched, but don't know which ones are good)

any ideas would be helpful
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS for the Beginning or Comeback Trumpter

by

David Hickman

This book is really catching on. www.HickmanMusicEditions.com

Sorry for the shameless plug!!
JazzmanGIANT
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getchell etudes?
Bach Strad 1973
Olds Ambassador 1963
Laskey 65MC
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Really Big Student Songbook

http://www.bolvinmusic.com/
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMART MUSIC

$30 student subscription.
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Hering 40 Etudes book. Worked wonders for me as a kid and has done the same for my 2nd grader.
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is still available, but there was a beginner's cornet/trumpet solo book titled something like "The Junior Soloist". It had about 8 solos, most of them were appealing to young students.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know their are vast amounts of free music online that have not been copy righted. You can print them for free. That is what I would be looking at.

As far as études and such go you would prop. do well to make some up on your own based on a list of common problems and three different skill levels. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced then do the common things like air support, tonguing, slurring and toss in some scales and arpeggios and you have a cut and paste format with a lot of free music to pick from!

If you color code it the kids can grab the right material with out you even needing to hand it out to them. Just let them grab it fromt he right colored stack or exercise's!
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been dealing with this problem for quite a long time, there seems to be a gap is usable material for students. Even the Arban's needs a G above the staff to get through the first 2 pages.

For absolute beginners I get them moving through a beginning band book, like Standard of Excellence, Essential Elements, or Accent on Achievement. There is little point in writing out your own exercises for a beginner to learn their fingers and rhythms, these books are perfect and sooo cheap.

For studies, which they will need for technique after they get the hang of things, I use the First Book Of Progressive Studies followed by the 2nd book of progressive studies (Again cheap and perfect for their level)

For solos there are a few options. The Canadian Brass have their Solos for trumpeters, starting at easy, then beginner, then intermediate. Play along cds are included and are great for them to hear how the harmonies move over their single line of music. You can also try "Tones of Tunes for Trumpet" "Easy Classics for the young Trumpet player" and "Festival Solos for trumpet" (That one is by Standard of Excellence as well.)

If they are into jazz you can get them playing some very good jazz solos with band back up using the Jazz Conception books (The first one is called Easy Jazz Conception). Ryan Kisor plays on the cd that comes with it, and they could do much worse than that sound model, that is for sure. They will need to be able to get to the top of that staff for those books though, so that can be a goal for them.

I have been on a book safari for kids for years, i pick up every new thing i find, you should plan on doing that for a long while. Eventually you put together a good pile of material for every set of student needs.
Hope that helps!
wilsoncw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getchell Book 1.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do or have them play, get them out of those idiot band methods like Standard of Excellence, etc. They all are 8 bar exercises and build no sense of phrasing, support or endurance. If the kid is a self starter, get them on pop tunes along with the normal fundamentals, and by all means, teach them to read at sight. Without that skill, they'll never do much playing in the real world. At the age level you describe, it's pretty important for most students to have fun, with the music and you. Good luck.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably have most of the standard methods, etudes, etc., but the one book my granddaughter prefers above all the others is:

100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player
by David Hickman

She likes the progressive, reasonable pacing, the combination of technical exercises, standard musical excerpts, and bits of musical information. Since she's completed her second year of study (the first one was ultra-light and doesn't count for much), we started off at five lessons per day, slowing the pace as we reached the point that she was being challenged a bit.
We're using other methods, solos, school materials, jazz scales, a little of everything, but the Hickman lessons are the core of her lesson plan. When she went on an extended vacation recently, that was the one trumpet book she wanted to take for practice.
BigGuns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a good teacher, the standard band methods can be fine with a little bit of supplemental exercises. They're only idiot books if they're being taught by a teacher who tries to follow them to a T.
dalmavs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about solos? I know which books I like to use, however when it goes to solos I have a harder time. I teach in Ohio so I would be thinking along Ohio's class divison. I know class 1/A, but not any others. Any suggestions?
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're a good teacher, the standard band methods can be fine with a little bit of supplemental exercises. They're only idiot books if they're being taught by a teacher who tries to follow them to a T.

The primary value of such "methods" is that one can teach multiple instruments at once, either in a large group lesson or as an entire band class. For the life of me, I can't imagine why one would resort to using one if they weren't limited to that situation.

For the hell of it sometime, I'm going to try starting some kid using only "Twinkle, Twinkle...", the theme from Beethoven 9 Finale, and "The Saints Go Marching In", utilizing all key signatures and related meters, as well as various tempi to fit different styles as they are introduced. In reality, I'd need a good 3/4 tune as well, maybe "Row, Row...". I could teach about all styles, forms, meter, note values, etc. with a tiny bit of imagination.

If you're better with Finale than I and try this and are successful in creating a new method, send me $1000 for the idea. Thanks, and good luck.
BigGuns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Quote:

The primary value of such "methods" is that one can teach multiple instruments at once, either in a large group lesson or as an entire band class. For the life of me, I can't imagine why one would resort to using one if they weren't limited to that situation.

For the hell of it sometime, I'm going to try starting some kid using only "Twinkle, Twinkle...", the theme from Beethoven 9 Finale, and "The Saints Go Marching In", utilizing all key signatures and related meters, as well as various tempi to fit different styles as they are introduced. In reality, I'd need a good 3/4 tune as well, maybe "Row, Row...". I could teach about all styles, forms, meter, note values, etc. with a tiny bit of imagination.

If you're better with Finale than I and try this and are successful in creating a new method, send me $1000 for the idea. Thanks, and good luck.

Haha, that is a great idea, but I beat you to it so I'm keepin my $$
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do with young students is to write simple songs some pop and others from the hymn book and put them into simple keys and in a range which they can handle. I use a simple a 40.00 music program Noteworthy Composer which does a great job, is simple to use and keeps the kids interested as they are playing real music and as they develop chops gradually raise the bar and start them on learning the keys. I have been very successful doing this for a long time and once you have saved all the tunes in the computer it is no big deal to just go and change the key and print it off, this way they learn the tune in C and then G folled by F etc.

This along with lip slurs and long tones is what I do.

Last edited by trumpaholic on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richj50 wrote:
I really like the Hering 40 Etudes book. Worked wonders for me as a kid and has done the same for my 2nd grader.

Yup.
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS for the Beginning or Comeback Trumpter

by

David Hickman

This book is really catching on. www.HickmanMusicEditions.com

Sorry for the shameless plug!!

I just spent a couple of minutes at that link doing a keyword search,
and I couldn't find the book there.

I even did an all-Internet Google search and the only hit was your mention of it here.

- Morris
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris
http://www.hickmanmusiceditions.com/select2.asp?page=5&selection=36

Music Catalog
Study Books for Trumpet
Page 5

Took me under 10 seconds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: