• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why lessons?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Why lessons? Reply with quote

I played trumpet in grade school, and then just picked it up again after many, many years. Not with any specific goal in mind, I just felt like tootling. On a budget.

And I was just reading recommendations to another reader for lessons, lessons, lessons. So now I'm wondering why, why, why? What sorts of things would a skilled teacher teach? How much of it can be gotten from books?
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you a quick answer, a skilled teacher will know which material suits your desire and level of performance and will show you how to apply them to reach your goals. There is huge amount of material available in print and on the internet. The question is what should you use and how should you use it. The teacher can also monitor your progress and make adjustments as needed.

Just like medicine. If you were ill, wouldn't it be nice to have a skilled physician examine you in person and prescribe the proper medication and proper dosage.

Alan
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my opinion that the trumpet isn't always an intuitive endevour. With a teacher you reduce the chances that you will start down an unproductive path that could take years (and lots of cussing) to come back from.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

To develop good habits now. Bad habits are much harder to change than developing good habits in the first place. It's not unlike golf or tennis in that respect. A few lessons to get you started and you will play better, faster and enjoy it more.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record yourself. If you are satisfied with what you hear on playback, charge on and don't give another thought to lessons.

If you are like most of us, what you hear recorded is not always what you think is coming out of the bell. I think there is a certain projected bias that makes us sound better in our heads than what we are actually producing.

Lessons help bridge the gap between what we want to produce, and what we actually produce.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading your second sentence, I figure right now you don't really need lessons. A lot of people have a piano in the house and go to it occasionally and pick out one line melodies for their own enjoyment. They never learned to use 2 hands, let alone chord or harmonize with one, but as long as they're happy and the box isn't taking up too much space, what's the dif? It's a form of entertainment.

If your second sentence ever changes, you might then also begin to see the need for a mentor if you are unable to attain them yourself. Good luck. Don't worry about it. Have fun playing your horn first and if/when you need to expand to keep having fun, you'll know.
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Craig, and to the rest.

It's true that I don't anticipate performing, or really ever needing to play *at all*. And I'm money-sensitive. (I was hoping library books could take me far enough.) But it's also true that you enjoy something more when you're good at it. And I have friends who sometimes pull out the congas and guitars and just dink around, it would be nice to sound good for something like that. (Which brings up other matters-- it seems like a drummer can pound out a pattern indefinitely until he wants to change it, guitars can play rhythm, but trumpets are more of a melody thing and shouldn't spend too much time just going up and down a chord or two...)

Well, I did a little poking around, found a few places in my area that offer lessons for instruments that aren't trumpets. I'm sure I can find something if I try. I'll keep it in mind.

Just to tide me over for now, what kinds of pitfalls and bad habits should I watch out for?
johnnyjazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the best players take lessons. You don't have to do for an extended period of time if finances are a concern. It is important, however, to get off on the right foot (or lip as the case may be). Take a few lessons from a qualified teacher to get you going in the right direction. You will get further ahead a lot faster and you will avoid some bad habits. Good luck.
John
Curry 3C, Curry 3VC and Bach 3CFL mouthpieces
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percivalthehappyboy wrote:
Thanks, Craig, and to the rest.

It's true that I don't anticipate performing, or really ever needing to play *at all*. And I'm money-sensitive. (I was hoping library books could take me far enough.) But it's also true that you enjoy something more when you're good at it.

Goodness knows I can relate to money being a factor (as can many here, I suspect), but I'd like to throw an idea out there: regardless of the need or intent to perform, putting some money into your hobby for lessons is a reflection of commitment, and is an incentive to try to make the most of your time and money. This can give someone motivation to do the sometimes unfun things that are necessary to get better, rather than just picking up the horn and fooling around until you're bored.

For most people, the trumpet is a much less approachable instrument than guitar or drums, and in most cases, nothing beyond eventual boredom will result from aimless noodling.

Just to tide me over for now, what kinds of pitfalls and bad habits should I watch out for?

This is the reason everyone advocates lessons - if you get any substantial answers to this question, it's likely to boil down to: don't do too much of anything, but also don't do too little. Both are bad. Do just the right amount.

A teacher is there to tell you what's too much, and what's too little, and to give you some carefully chosen guidance about how to get there.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial answer would be blunt - to learn to play the instrument. But, it could also depend on your aspirations.

If they are limited and do not involve becoming anything more than a purely recreational player, and you have some innate musical talent, then lessons may be unnecessary.

However, if you aspire to any level of excellence and technical expertise beyond that, then lessons will be necessary to reach that level and succeed.

Many guitar players are self taught - even professionals. I know of few professional - or even amateur but technically excellent - trumpet players who are self taught.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs to me that if money is a big constraint for lessons, it might be worth your while to have a few lessons to get you rolling, then see if there's some kind of a community band you could join where you could learn from the other players in a more hands-on way.

(Assuming, of course, that's something that interests you.)
differencetone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your goals. For classical music, you need a teacher because it's important to blend in with the other musicians. A lot of this talk about "bad habits" is just a matter of opinion as there is no right or wrong way to play if it's working for you.

Now that I play trumpet, I listen to trumpet players in a different way and I can hear that some players sound unique in their tone and style. I certainly would resent someone telling me I'm doing it the wrong way. Jazz was meant to be fun but now that they institutionalized it, it's less so. The music geeks are holding it back.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good teaching is a skill that is developed just like anything else. A good teacher is able to take his personal playing and teaching experiences and apply them to each unique student. At the same time he should have a clear understanding of priorities. Some of the wisdom as a teacher is knowing what things to not talk about in order to keep the student on track with the most important things.

If good teaching didn't require wisdom, you could just have a computer programmed to do it. It's an art form like music and takes creativity.

Good teaching can really be worth the money in the long run too. You will get more opportunities to play as your skill goes up. And, if you ever make money at playing or teaching you will see monetary return on your investment too. If that doesn't happen, you will at least get the best thing, which is more enjoyment from your playing.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
trumq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

differencetone wrote:

A lot of this talk about "bad habits" is just a matter of opinion as there is no right or wrong way to play if it's working for you.

There are plenty of wrong ways to play, and you may not know that you are using one until you hit a wall that you can't get beyond due to faulty technique.

Henri Selmer 80J
'63 Olds Studio
'55 King Liberty
King altonium
'47 Conn 80A
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my 70's, and the last lessons I took was in the 8th grade. So I decided to take some lessons last year. I didn't take that many, but the ones I took made a lot of difference in the way I practiced. I can tell a lot of progress in both range and endurance since applying the advice I got to practice. Since I had been playing for a long time, the man I took lessons from wasn't sure how much he could help me, but when we were through, I assured him he had helped me a lot. Often it doesn't take much to be put on the right path.
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm pretty well convinced by now that lessons are important. But now I'm afraid to pick the damned thing up until I get them!
differencetone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm pretty well convinced by now that lessons are important. But now I'm afraid to pick the damned thing up until I get them!

That is why I hate teachers. It's just music for god's sake, it isn't going to hurt anyone. Screw the teachers, play the wrong way.
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

differencetone wrote:

That is why I hate teachers. It's just music for god's sake, it isn't going to hurt anyone. Screw the teachers, play the wrong way.

The thing about playing the wrong way is that we play the right way because it sounds good, especially if you're playing with other people. It's how you get a pure, resonant sound that blends, it's how you get the control to center notes immediately, it's how you get the control to play in tune, etc. We don't advocate teachers because we're fascists, we advocate teachers because they help guide you to play the way you want to play. If you just play by yourself in your basement or do some small group jazz and think that some airy, forced sound is hip then go for it. If you want to sound like a trumpet player and have any real hope of gigs with other people (or even doing well in a community band) you should probably get with someone who knows what they're doing.
bobd0
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by bobd0 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play. Its like introducing yourself to someone. You can follow all the conventions and learn all the social graces, but there's hardly any perfect way to break the ice. A teacher can help you to avoid the most obvious faux pas.

As a side note, this is why I begin with 5 minutes of the most basic first-year fundamentals each day. It is only too easy for yours truly to think myself into a bind, or act myself into a fix.

Yet play. Then when or if you feel you're ready, invest in a teacher.

Play what you hear in your head!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: