• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I out a guy who sold me a damaged mouthpiece?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Should I out a guy who sold me a damaged mouthpiece? Reply with quote

I bought a Reeves mouthpiece from this guy, and it was totally unusable. The rim is all scuffed up, to the point of being very noticeable to the naked eye. Needless to say it is very uncomfortable to play.

He now refuses to respond to my emails about this. I really have to call people out, but it's been a week and a half since my initial email about it.

Should I name him. I just want my money back.

Caveat emptor?
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Outing" a bad actor is a fair use of internet technology, but an uncalled for outing is itself a bad act that can have unfortunate consequences for a long time.

Before doing this, answer these questions:

Did the seller make any representation about the condition of the piece?
Did the price fairly represent the market price of a piece in new condition, good condition or bargin bin condition?
Have you had someone else look at and play the piece and agree with your evaluation of the condition?
Should you give him one more chance to respond with the warning that if you don't hear from him, you'll make your posting?

Caveat emptor always applies, but the efficient market requires a sharing of informatin. If you are sure of your facts, spill 'em.

Tommy T.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no indication of the condition of the mouthpiece at all, which is perfectly in line with the 100's of listing we wee in the marketplace. I was not (and do) not expect it in mint condition. I see it as a perfectly reasonable assumption that, unless stated otherwise, it is in good condition. This mouthpiece is clearly NOT in good condition.

As for the price, it was a tad (and just a tad) on the lower end of what I've paid here for perfectly acceptable pieces.

I have not had anyone else inspect it, as it is patently obvious that the rim isscored all over the place. As I said, it is very obvious to the naked eye, not to mention what it feels like on the chops. there was no mention of this anywhrein the ad our our transactions.

tommy t. wrote:
"Outing" a bad actor is a fair use of internet technology, but an uncalled for outing is itself a bad act that can have unfortunate consequences for a long time.

Before doing this, answer these questions:

Did the seller make any representation about the condition of the piece?
Did the price fairly represent the market price of a piece in new condition, good condition or bargin bin condition?
Have you had someone else look at and play the piece and agree with your evaluation of the condition?
Should you give him one more chance to respond with the warning that if you don't hear from him, you'll make your posting?

Caveat emptor always applies, but the efficient market requires a sharing of informatin. If you are sure of your facts, spill 'em.

Tommy T.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I out a guy who sold me a damaged mouthpiece? Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
I bought a Reeves mouthpiece from this guy, and it was totally unusable. The rim is all scuffed up, to the point of being very noticeable to the naked eye. Needless to say it is very uncomfortable to play.

He now refuses to respond to my emails about this. I really have to call people out, but it's been a week and a half since my initial email about it.

Caveat emptor?

Send it to Tom Green, $18.00 (I think) and it's like new!

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know who he is, that way we won't be doing business with him.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go hit him in the chops with it. he knows better.

dj
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Should I out a guy who sold me a damaged mouthpiece? Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
fraserhutch wrote:

Caveat emptor?

that and a few bucks in shipping and you are free of the entire thing. Pretty good price to put a less than good person behind you.

Send it to Tom Green, $18.00 (I think) and it's like new!

LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the lucky winner is?
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will out him Monday if I don't hear back from him by then.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reply, so I'm letting you all know not to have dealings with Benjamin Strickland.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Is that one related to Strickland's Propane from Arlen, TX?
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
No reply, so I'm letting you all know not to have dealings with Benjamin Strickland.

The last time he posted here was September, 2008.
http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=864225&highlight=#864225

He is a college student, and college students are usually dirt poor.
That is no excuse for selling a bad mouthpiece,
but it might be the reason.

http://trumpetherald.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5186

- Morris
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could also make the assumption that each person has his own concept of the quality of a used item. Did he think it was of good quality and offered it? Did he know it was poor quality and was out to make a fast buck?

If the quality was not implied in the ad it was a "Catch 22" situation when ordering. The seller's perception and the buyer's perception of the used item were not the same.

Having said that, I believe one could give a hundred excuses why the seller has not come to terms with the buyer? College student or not, does he not the seller bear the responsibility for delivering the goods on time? What are we teaching him if we overlook his lack of responsibility? Integrity needs to be taught and learned. Sadly, not all have learned integrity and a college education apparently doesn't guarantee it.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a picture of the rim tonight. There is no case for considering this a decent condition mouthpiece, IMHO. We're talking a gouged-up rim here.

I have yet to be able to get a reply from him either though TH or through his email. I am left to assume he knows full well what he has done and just refuses to make things right.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
I will post a picture of the rim tonight. There is no case for considering this a decent condition mouthpiece, IMHO. We're talking a gouged-up rim here.

I have yet to be able to get a reply from him either though TH or through his email. I am left to assume he knows full well what he has done and just refuses to make things right.

There was another student in TH who is no longer here, a different one from the one in question in this thread.
His posting name was "blasticore".

He was experiencing severe financial hardship while attending college, so he was trying to sell off all of his equipment here in TH just to make ends meet.
The last day he posted here was September 5, 2007.

I was in email / PM contact with him at that time, then he disappeared off the face of the earth.
To this day I have no idea what happened to him.
I don't think that he was ignoring my emails and snail mail after September 5, 2007.
I don't think that it was even reaching him, I don't think he was even aware that I was trying to contact him after that date.

I am not making excuses for the other student, Benjamin, selling a bad mouthpiece.
I am just saying that from my previous experience with "blasticore", it is possible that Benjamin doesn't know that anyone is trying to contact him because he no longer uses those email and snail mail addresses.

- Morris
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris,

It could be as you say and the person no longer has the same email address, but he still knows in "his heart of hearts" that he has left something unsettled. Whether or not he has the same email address, he needs to deal with these matters and do what he can to make them right. Otherwise, he only leaves others believing "integrity" is meaningless to him. Is "lack of integrity" going to be the hallmark of the rest of his college life and professional career? Why do we help him make excuses for his behavior and continue to ignore those he may have wronged?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:
Morris,

It could be as you say and the person no longer has the same email address, but he still knows in "his heart of hearts" that he has left something unsettled. Whether or not he has the same email address, he needs to deal with these matters and do what he can to make them right. Otherwise, he only leaves others believing "integrity" is meaningless to him. Is "lack of integrity" going to be the hallmark of the rest of his college life and professional career? Why do we help him make excuses for his behavior and continue to ignore those he may have wronged?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

In both of my posts in this thread, I explicitly stated that I was not making excuses for his having sold a defective mouthpiece.

I stated that his motive might have been desperation for money, as experienced by most college students.
I stated that he might not know that someone from TH is trying to contact him after the sale.

But I explicitly stated that I was not making any excuse for his having sold a defective mouthpiece.

I have now stated it 4 times in 3 posts.

- Morris
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris,

I'm not speaking about the defective mouthpiece issue, but more directly relating to the seller not dealing with it while several people giving excuses as to why the seller is unwilling to deal with the buyer.

It appears that the seller is in college which appears to be a justification for him not dealing with the buyer for the reasons people stated. How are we expecting him to be responsible when when excuse his behavior in being irresponsible?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:
Morris,

I'm not speaking about the defective mouthpiece issue, but more directly relating to the seller not dealing with it while several people giving excuses as to why the seller is unwilling to deal with the buyer.

It appears that the seller is in college which appears to be a justification for him not dealing with the buyer for the reasons people stated. How are we expecting him to be responsible when when excuse his behavior in being irresponsible?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Please show even one post in this thread where anyone has said that it is OK for the seller to knowingly refuse contact with the buyer and knowingly refuse to make restitution to the buyer.

I never said any such thing, and I don't see where anyone else has said any such thing, either.

- Morris
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris,

Seems like folks are making excuses 'cause the seller is in college and has any number of reasons that he won't settle with the buyer. Can he be that busy, broke or irresponsible as one of upcoming leaders of our world?

Better off we should say he is busy, broke and irresponsible as to blame it on being a college student in my opinion that is? Dishonest... now that may be a reach, but that is in the seller's court now.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: