• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to do horizontal valve alignment?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tp2038

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: How to do horizontal valve alignment? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to do horizaontal valve alighment? I can do the vertical vlave alignment using different spacers and felt.

To do a horizontal alignment, I think I need the special valve guides I can file to get the right horizontal alignment?

Disassemblying the piston assembly and put them back is too much for me.

Thanks.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to do horizontal valve alignment? Reply with quote

tp2038 wrote:
Does anyone know how to do horizaontal valve alighment? I can do the vertical vlave alignment using different spacers and felt.

To do a horizontal alignment, I think I need the special valve guides I can file to get the right horizontal alignment?

Disassemblying the piston assembly and put them back is too much for me.

Thanks.

If you want the real deal, call Bob Reeves. He is the man and has been doing for well over 30 years.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some messing around and it's my belief that the horizontal, or rotational alignment is not an issue unless your pistons were incorrectly assembled to begin with.

Do this experiment: rotate your second valve all of the way right or left, and pump it up and down a few times. Then press the second valve down and look in. You'll note that, as long as the valve is unconstrained, that it returns to rotational alignment. Because that is the path of least resistance, it naturally returns there.

You can't do the same with the stroke, because it's constrained on each end.

Therefore, unless the piston was made wrong, it shouldn't be an issue.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
I've done some messing around and it's my belief that the horizontal, or rotational alignment is not an issue unless your pistons were incorrectly assembled to begin with.

That's very well-said, and I'm glad someone thought to mention it. I think the concept of getting valves aligned is played-up so much, that people tend to think they need one no matter what. In all honesty, a brand new horn by a maker like Getzen, Yamaha, or Schilke probably isn't going to need such a service done to it, unless the guy putting the pistons together was drunk on the job.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, initial assembly of the piston was a bit off, other times the drill pattern of the piston ports is off. The first can be corrected, the second cannot, except by replacing the piston.

If benificial, Flip Oakes will do horizontal (rotational) re-alignment of the piston. I imagine Bob Reeves, Doctor Valve and others can also perform this service, as well.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that horizontal alignment is usually done by unsoldering the piston, aligning, and reattaching. Trimming or tweaking the valve guards might work for small errors but could result in thinner (weakened) guides and perhaps more noise? I have not seen alignment done that way so am guessing.

Whether or not valve alignment helps or not, or perhaps even hurts, is a tough call. I have played horns when the before and after was night and day, and horns that after alignment seemed little different than before. A lot depends upon how far off the original is, and how sensitive you are to such things. There are other things, like excess solder inside the horn, that cam impact performance. Flip can take care of those, two. I've had Flip go through several horns, and some have required quite a bit of work while others were nearly spot-on. There's still a lot of hand work in trumpet manufacture and thus some variability. And, as anyone who's been around CNC machines can attest, they are not infallible, as routine maintenance and monitoring must be performed. They are amazing when running well, but are also good for providing examples of the difference between "accurate" and "precise"...

FWIWFM - Don
Joyfulnoise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Don has to say. Improvement depends on how much it is off to begin with. One additional advantage to an alignment is the opportunity to replace pads or felts with synthetic materials that will last and stay consistent a longer period of time. I am a believer in having the best alignment possible for my horns and then moving on and spending my time practicing. My experience is that there is a slight but noticable improvement when there are improvements in alignment. Most people think in terms of the up/down stroke of the piston for proper alignment. The part that surprises me is that so many folks accept the horizontal/sideways "free play" of the piston. From what I've seen, it seems unusual to have a piston assembled in a way that it must be unassembled and the valve guide barrel resoldered to get the holes and ports to be able to line up. But, most manufacturers do use valve guides that have enough free play to allow a considerable amount of misalignment in the horizontal direction. In fact, the possible misalignment would be "way out" considering what we say would be acceptable for the up/down stroke. Now, I know some will say that because the piston floats right to left that at least part of the time it is in the center or may only be slightly off. This can be true for any piston at any time while you're playing, but consider that there are 3 pistons, and what are the chances that all 3 accidently line up in the center for proper alignment all at once. Do you feel lucky ? What I have done on my horns is use brass valve guides. The brass valve guides will still allow the same sideways movements, but they allow me to then add metal (silver solder) and build them up to take out the excess movement. It is a process of adding metal, filing it off, adding, filing until I'm happy. I have to allow just enough freedom for the guide to slide up and down the barrel. It is not that difficult if you are inclined that way and are patient. No doubt about it , it takes time! But, clearly the excess movement is all but gone. The manufactures are in a place where the guides they use must allow for worst case tolerances and ease in fitting and to be able to fit models of horns built over many years of manufacture. This is the same discussion about why a manufacturer doesn't do precision valve alignment at the factory. They manufacture the product to be reasonably close without incurring the extra man hours and cost. But, if you believe in the merits of a proper alignment, and I do, then take a look at the rotational movement in your 2nd valve and think about how you can reduce that. Then after everything is aligned as best as it can be, get back to practicing to allow your horn to help you make the best music you can make.
Mark

Schilke B1L
Schilke B6L
Schilke flugel
Besson Prestige 2028 cornet
Schilke XA1 cornet
Van Cleave pocket trumpet

"Play with purpose"
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyfulnoise wrote:
The part that surprises me is that so many folks accept the horizontal/sideways "free play" of the piston. From what I've seen, it seems unusual to have a piston assembled in a way that it must be unassembled and the valve guide barrel resoldered to get the holes and ports to be able to line up. But, most manufacturers do use valve guides that have enough free play to allow a considerable amount of misalignment in the horizontal direction. In fact, the possible misalignment would be "way out" considering what we say would be acceptable for the up/down stroke. Now, I know some will say that because the piston floats right to left that at least part of the time it is in the center or may only be slightly off. This can be true for any piston at any time while you're playing, but consider that there are 3 pistons, and what are the chances that all 3 accidently line up in the center for proper alignment all at once.

Mark, the assertion is not that they might be in alignment but that they will be in alignment.

Do the experiment that I detailed above. Because the valve is free to move, and it is very free, it will move itself to the place with the least resistance, and that is with the holes in the piston aligned with the holes in the valve casing. On my own main horn, the valve can rotate through a very wide range, probably a good ten to twenty degrees. Every time I've looked at rotational alignment in any valve, it is always correct. This leads me to believe that rotational alignment happens on its own and that the guide is just to keep the valve from being inserted completely backwards.

I would hazard a guess that each and every one of us with factory-supplied valve guides will find that there is some amount of rotational play and it's only a valve piston that was assembled wrong at the factory that is misaligned enough to make a difference.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Joyfulnoise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I appreciate what you are saying. I'm not wanting to "pick a fuss" but this is about ideas and experiences.....I have done some experimenting myself by observing the 2nd valve action. What I saw was that sometimes the valve returns to a relative center position but sometimes not. The other part of the centering is that on the down stroke your finger is attached to the button pushing. You would have to assume that you push equally and perfectly centered, exerting no sideways pressure that would cause the piston to rotate slightly, because with your finger attached the valve is no longer free to "float" on its own. It is only at the very top that when I play that my finger part of the time becomes disconnected with the finger button and once disconnected in a stationary position at the top I believe the piston is likely not to move on its own. Again, I don't discount the possibility that the valve can and sometimes will be centered, but that it will some portion of the time be to one side or the other and then there are 3 valves or 3 times the possibility. How much of a difference in playability? Some would say no valve alignment at all is needed and we are fooling ourselves. But, I was once a skeptic and now believe. One thing I am fairly certain of is that reducing or minimizing rotational movement reduces the variability and possibility. Does it help....well, that's a discussion that will probably exist for a while. Enjoy the playing!

Schilke B1L
Schilke B6L
Schilke flugel
Besson Prestige 2028 cornet
Schilke XA1 cornet
Van Cleave pocket trumpet

"Play with purpose"
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is that if it is truly necessary, the alignment can be improved, but it won't make a person a good player.

Brian

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
dhbailey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for saying that, Brian -- I think that while there might be a great need for alignment in a tiny percentage of horns, if you really look at the size of the valve ports in many commercial trumpet pistons, they're larger than the holes in the casings. In such instruments there's no way to get even a vertical alignment, since having the bottom of the valve port align with the bottom of the opening in the casing makes the top of the valve port a bit too high, and pressing down (or using a smaller felt) to get the top of the valve port to align makes the bottom of the valve port a bit too low to line up.

And the pistons are as they are (for most users) when the horn is new, so if you like the resistance of the horn, the way the notes slot, etc, part of that may well be because of the alignment or misalignment of the valve ports. Perfecting those may change the way the horn plays (else why spend the money) and it may make the horn worse.

And in any event we won't be better players, we'll still be the same players playing on a trumpet with aligned valve ports.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhbailey wrote:
Thanks for saying that, Brian -- I think that while there might be a great need for alignment in a tiny percentage of horns, if you really look at the size of the valve ports in many commercial trumpet pistons, they're larger than the holes in the casings. In such instruments there's no way to get even a vertical alignment, since having the bottom of the valve port align with the bottom of the opening in the casing makes the top of the valve port a bit too high, and pressing down (or using a smaller felt) to get the top of the valve port to align makes the bottom of the valve port a bit too low to line up.

And the pistons are as they are (for most users) when the horn is new, so if you like the resistance of the horn, the way the notes slot, etc, part of that may well be because of the alignment or misalignment of the valve ports. Perfecting those may change the way the horn plays (else why spend the money) and it may make the horn worse.

And in any event we won't be better players, we'll still be the same players playing on a trumpet with aligned valve ports.

Improvements in natural intonation and consistancy of timbre are the main reasons to get valves aligned, IMO. Along with those, stability through all valve combinations comes next. Even response as far as blow resistance and articulation are in there, too.

All of these things assist a player in producing a higher quality of music, if the player's own abilities can make use of them. My experience has been that my assessment of my own talent and skill was downgraded for years because of equipment issues I was unaware were fighting against me.

Solving some of these issues has allowed me to grow in my musicality and the enjoyment I get from playing.

Brian

etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
It is my understanding that horizontal alignment is usually done by unsoldering the piston, aligning, and reattaching. Trimming or tweaking the valve guards might work for small errors but could result in thinner (weakened) guides and perhaps more noise? I have not seen alignment done that way so am guessing.
(snip)
And, as anyone who's been around CNC machines can attest, they are not infallible, as routine maintenance and monitoring must be performed. They are amazing when running well, but are also good for providing examples of the difference between "accurate" and "precise"...

FWIWFM - Don

The valve guide is essentially a (circular) disk with two protruding ears that stick out of the slits in the piston assembly and widen a little further out. All you need is an oversized protruding ear (that covers a bigger part of the circle) that can be filed down as necessary. This solves the horizontal valve alignment, without the need to unsolder the piston components.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, understood that -- are oversize guides available? Or is this something you would machine (or have machined) yourself?

My only experience (with several techs) is that they unsolder, move, and resolder, so I am curcious.

Thanks! - Don
James Becker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I correct rotational alignment on conventional pistons I hold the piston in a collet on one end and a live center on the other to maintain center while I heat and rotate. Through trial and error I repeat until piston ports are in line with the casings.

The ultimate solution is Sonare's MicroLok valve guides, but are only available on Sonare trumpets. These three part guides are made up of a brass guide, delrin guide and torx center screw that make a "sandwich". The neck of the bottom brass guide is cut back to allow it to move sided to side, while the delrin top guide is closely fit to the spring barrel slots. By loosening the screw the undercut brass guide can rotate side to side, at this point an expandable plug or pilot holds the piston in place to line up the ports on center while the torx screw is tensioned to hold the two pieces in place. This design combines the acoustic benefit of a brass guide seated in the casing while the spring barrel rides quietly on a delrin guide.

This from the the Sonare website:

At Sonaré, we understand that one of the most notorious problems affecting trumpets is valve alignment. Our solution to that problem is exclusive. Sonaré's MicroLok™ valve system (patent pending), co-invented by Cliff Blackburn and Steven Wasser of Powell Flutes, revolutionizes valve alignment. During the production process, a custom-made tool sets the piston into its perfect radial and vertical alignment position. A set screw is then tightened to lock the adjustable valve guide and secure the Monel piston into place. While this adjustment is permanent, MicroLok allows the alignment to be easily reset at any time by a trained technician, without soldering. Valves can be easily cleaned and oiled without disturbing the alignment.
77 Powdermill Road Rt.62
Acton, MA 01720
www.osmun.com

Our workshop is as close as your nearest UPS store https://www.ups.com/dropoff?loc=en_US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Got it, understood that -- are oversize guides available? Or is this something you would machine (or have machined) yourself?

My only experience (with several techs) is that they unsolder, move, and resolder, so I am curcious.

Thanks! - Don

Don,

This is something that can be made to order in quantity, or machined (in small amounts) by yourself.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they fix the piston so standard guides can be used henceforth when the current ones wear out.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: