• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton downsizing questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Warburton downsizing questions Reply with quote

Just wondering what peoples' experiences are if/when downsizing rim sizes with Warburton pieces. I'm on a 4 rim, thinking of going to a 5 or 6, simply for comfort and more endurance... Have you had to adjust cup depth and/or backbore sizes to balance pieces out when going smaller? Thanks

www.christianmcivormusic.com
jazz50's

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

What I did when I downsized to the #4 rim was to use a more free blowing setup for a couple of weeks.So I chose backbores and cups that would favorite a nice,steady airflow.Once I felt comfortable,I started working on more efficient setups.That worked for me,I hope this helps!

Dimitris
kallen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently downsizing from Warburton 4 rims to 6 rims. What motivated me was listening to recordings of myself and noticing a lack of focus in the sound — that, and hitting a wall with endurance on gigs.

So I got a 6MC top and started working with it, recording every note I played, even warmups, playing the mouthpiece through a "Buzzard". Noticed an immediate increase in support and stability. So this rim size feels right. I'm using the same 7 and 7* backbores that I used with the 4 tops.

I think the relative flatness of the Warburton rims makes it easier to transition between cup diameters. On trumpet, the 6MC doesn't feel that different to me from the 4MC.

On fluegelhorn, I'm temporarily using a Yamaha 11F4, which is a similar cup diameter but a slightly more rounded rim. I'm finding the rim contour harder to adjust to than the smaller diameter. My guess is that a rounder rim allows more pivoting in the embouchure, so a change in diameter changes the geometry of the pivot, which makes for a more drastic change in the feel of the mouthpiece. Anyway, a Warburton 6FL will probably work better for me.

For me, I think that improving my technique, playing with more air support and less mouthpiece pressure, makes it possible for me to play on a smaller mouthpiece. I remember trying to downsize in the past and finding that smaller mouthpieces would always close up on me. Probably a result of playing with too much pressure. Bigger mouthpieces could be more forgiving of faulty technique.

Some things that are helping me in making the transition: First, doing my entire, familiar daily routine on the new mouthpiece to see how it compares. Second, recording myself to hear exactly how it works and sounds. Third, trying it out in different spaces and in all my usual performance situations.
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: