• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wisdom from Jake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted from "Arnold Jacobs: The Legacy of a Master" collected by M. Dee Stewart, page 50:

Throughout my two and a half years of study with Arnold, I continued to be fascinated and perplexed at how some performers could play so effortlessly and naturally as we like to think of it. One Friday Arnold and I rode to the concert from his home that noon hour on the train. I dwelled on this and other matters with him as we jounced along in that old musty rail car and he left me with a thought I haven't forgotten. "In other words," he said after going through one of his lengthy but profound enough explanations, "all you have to do is imagine that you are a natural player long enough, and you will become one." On the one hand, an oversimplification, but on the other, a marvelous encouragement of how to approach performance as a musician.

James E. Kowalsky, Trumpet, Formerly University of Alaska

It is amazing how powerful our imagination can be. Keeping in mind the end goal, the sound and the music we are striving to create, the player we want to become, is more important than problems, conflicts, or other negative thoughts that get in the way. Keep a positive attitude and remember why you play the trumpet, remember the beautiful music that inspires you, and have a great time realizing your goals.

JU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: