• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Key of taps?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search but I didn't find quite what I was looking for, so I'll ask this question:

Is there a "correct" key in which to play taps? I know there are bugles in different keys, and I was wondering if these keys vary according to branch of the military or circumstance or something like that.
Thanks,
John
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there's any particular key to play taps in, some people play it all on open (key of C) and some play it all 1-3 (i have no idea what key that is, lol). Hope this helps a little bit?
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played all 1-3 would be the key of G on a Bb horn.

Paul
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about a key. Just make it sound good.
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tweak my question a little bit. I know there are people on here who have a military background and who have played taps at a military honors type funeral. Do any of you have any insight? Is there any difference in how taps is played whether it's at the end of the day or if it's at a funeral? So I guess what I'm asking is, is there a certain "official" manner of playing taps that is prescribed by the military?
Thanks a bunch,
John

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-05-15 23:20 ]
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in the ITG, there was an article in January 2003 that talks about the correct way to play taps. It has Taps written as all open, in the key of C, and it also stresses the fact that the eigth notes in teh second and 3rd FULL measures (G, C, E......G, C, E........, G, C, E.............) be played as straight eigths and not the dotted eigth-sixteenth rythm found in the rest of the piece. The article also gives advice on etiquette etc. Its quite informative.

Stuart
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the source: http://bands.army.mil/music/default.asp

FWIW, I've understood it to be concert G, matching the pitch of most bugles, which means use 1-2 for we Bb types.
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken a few service band auditions that have required Taps to be played. They all had it written out in concert Bb, so playing it open on Bb trumpet. I would also recommend you check out the January 2003 ITG journal because there is a great article on the proper way to play Taps. Also check out

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/ceremonies/originoftaps.html

for a recording and a history of Taps.
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing taps is part of my job description - part of being in an Army Band is playing a WHOLE BUNCH of funerals. Taps is played open, on a Bb trumpet.
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed on the evening news that a military bugler using a trumpet was playing open horn. A local trumpeter I know uses 3 to sound as 12, which would correspond to a bugle in G. I have been using 1 since reading a post by Tom Turner

" . . . I always play it with first valve . . . an ultra-stable set of overtones on the trumpet. Its not only safer, but also a more rich and mellow sound than playing it open. "

But before switching to 1, I have done it 12, 23, 123, 3, and even valving my way up from low C (when I first started I couldn't reliably hit the high note and had to valve it so I could start low). No one has ever complained about the key, I suspect no-one ever gave it a second thought. I am bugler for American Legion Post 088.
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Taylor -

That's cool! I would LOVE to have the opportunity to play taps in a different key, but I saw a bugler do it once & he got REAMED for it, and I like my a** intact....
I guess whatever sounds best to you, go for it!

-Gary
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give 1 a try. I've used open all my (Bb) trumpet-playing life ( for the past 40 years); I was pressed into service to play Taps for the American Legion in my home town when I was 10 y/o. Since then, I've played Taps at various events and ceremonies: Boy Scouts; summer camps; Daughters of the American Revolution dedication ceremoines, etc.

I've also had to play other pieces at funerals. One of the most moving was standing on the point of land at the Santa Cruz lighthouse, overlooking the Paicfic Ocean, playing "Just Friends" at the late trumepter Howard McGhee's wife's funeral. Talk about pressure....
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a military standpoint, Taps should be played in concert B-flat, period. If anyone wants music I can send it to them. It is music I received while I was in the Navy Band.
jpdtpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am teaching Taps to my middle school trumpet players, I always have them finger 1st and 3rd. That way, I'm sure that range won't be a concern. I also prefer to play it there, as I think it has a more 'mournful' effect. Also, I once had to play it at the funeral of one of my close friends, and didn't want to risk cracking through my own emotions, so the lower key helped. He had died in training within a few months of graduating from Annapolis. I don't think anyone has ever noticed that I wasn't playing it open, and I'd rather not risk a clam because I start to tear up and can't even hit a G on top of the staff.

John
allofyougetalife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, 1&3 makes the articulation and sound dull on the alternate fingered notes.

AOYGAL
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

On the lighter side . . . it is the soldier not the arranger that gives us the freedom to play in the key of our choice.
Keith E Miland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to see poeple talking and printing the correct way of doing TAPS. I've delivered copies taken from Soldiers Manual 02B (Trumpet Player) to the Legion and VFW in town and poionted out measure 3 and 4 are to be eighth notes.

For the 16 years I was in the National Guard band and even now I play with the 1st valve. Just my personal preference.

In fact I snuck out of work (took a 2 hour lunch) yesterday to play TAPS for an Air Force MSgt who served in Vietnam.

IIMHO it doesn't matter if you play it open, first valve or whatever as long is you play it well, proper tempo (quarter = 52) and without fracking notes.

Thankfully I haven't fracked one since Memorial Day 3 years ago when the kid that was supposed to play for the VFW portion of the ceremony was in dream land and the director of our municipal band asked the VFW if they wanted a muni band member to play. The director pointed at me and I had to quick take a breath, that ended up not only air, but spit at the same time. I ended up fracking the fourth note I played but hung on to the end before choking.

Funny how somehting so simple can be so hard to play perfectly. It's also funny how one doesn't forget and how bad one feels when they don't play it perfectly.

At least it is for me.

WT Flugel/FO5
Bach Strad 37/Curry 5TF
Conn Wonder Solo Cornet (1897)/5VC
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can conpletely empathize with that sentiment about taps. If you are the player and you f*&$ it up, you find it VERY hard to forgive yourself, atleast thats how it rolls for me. I used to play taps for a joint Veterans Council back home. One Memorial Day, several years ago, I was asked to play the echo portion of taps in the town square. I didn't know what key the principal was playing in and I managed to spend about 10 seconds fishing for the right note before I stopped and played it the way I normally played it (open). I still feel like crap about that and consider that to be the saddest playing I have EVER done.
-efwd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: