• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp teachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frmrleadplyr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Stamp teachers Reply with quote

Is there anyone in the Midwest that studied with Stamp? I attend a university in Omaha, Nebraska and am originally from South Dakota. I studied with a professional trumpet player in Omaha who got me started on Stamp, but he never took lessons from him. I'm hoping that I can meet with someone who has studied with Stamp and can help me learn more about the method. Thanks!
chipper983
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite midwest, but I studied with Roy Poper at Oberlin in Ohio. He's full of Stamp knowledge. Check out his summer institute if you can.
Dave Loken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Ron Romm at the University of Illinois. He studied directly with James Stamp, and he's a great teacher. Very nice guy, too. Ronnie's got some fascinating stories about J. S. and his abilities as a teacher and troubleshooter. Good luck!
martijn.zijlmans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with Arto Hoornweg in the Utrecht Conservatory in Holland. He studied with Stamp in his last days. Arto also goes to the Summer Academy in Oberlin. If you have the chance to go there, do so!

Martijn
danielgerona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever visit Dallas, try taking a lesson with Bert Truax. He studied with Stamp, and that's the basis of his teaching. All his students are taught and use Stamp.
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Roy Poper at Oberlin.

I studied with him for my undergrad at Oberlin, and he is one of the authorities on Stamp having studied and worked with Stamp for 17 years. Plus, he is a great guy. I feel like I have a great grasp of Stamp from Roy's teaching, and it really is very very helpful to have someone explain the text.

He has a published method, "Roy Poper's Commentaries on the Brasswind Methods of James Stamp" which is very useful to have.

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/BQ-18.htm

My 2 cents...

- Josh
Denis Wick Artist
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with Jimmie for about 4 years and can certainly teach his method. (I wrote all the Sticky: Dissecting Stamp Threads.

If you ever plan to be in the Denver metro area, PM me.

Janet
Excelsiorgolfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer,
Only 1 1/2 years later here.
If you are still in Omaha and would like to find a teacher who studied briefly with Stamp, call Craig Bircher. He is the Associate Principal trumpet with the Omaha Symphony. He got me started with Stamp in 9th grade and I found they were fantastic for my development. Craig is a great player and teacher.
Good luck.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshRzepka wrote:
I'll second Roy Poper at Oberlin.

I studied with him for my undergrad at Oberlin, and he is one of the authorities on Stamp having studied and worked with Stamp for 17 years. Plus, he is a great guy. I feel like I have a great grasp of Stamp from Roy's teaching, and it really is very very helpful to have someone explain the text.

He has a published method, "Roy Poper's Commentaries on the Brasswind Methods of James Stamp" which is very useful to have.

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/BQ-18.htm

My 2 cents...

- Josh

I would also highly recommend Roy Poper. I studied with him for several years when he was still in Los Angeles and I studied with Jimmy Stamp for quite a while too. I would have to say that Roy has to be one of the best authorities on the Stamp method. He studied with Stamp a very long time and he studied how Stamp taught as well. In my experience, Roy is a terrific teacher in his own right, not to mention being a wonderful player too.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he studied with Stamp directly, but Craig Morris at U of Miami uses the Stamp book a lot, and has written about using it on his blog. He's never used it with me personally, but with several of the other students here, he does.
baltotpt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Stamp method Reply with quote

I had the great experience of studying with Jim Stamp for almost three years from 1974 through 76. I used to teach his method but decided that the man was the method and I couldn't do justice to his genius. I wrote an etude that appears in his book in gratitude for his wonderful teaching. I'd be happy to share my knowledge with any interested person. I currently reside in the Minneapolis area after having played in the Baltimore Symphony for almost 30 years. I highly recommend reading the "Dissecting Stamp" posts on this forum. They were written by an extremely intelligent and fine trumpet player (Janet) who studied with Stamp. There is no better explanation of his method anywhere.

I am aware of the problems of trying to adopt the Stamp method by just reading the book, and Roy Poper has carried on Stamp's tradition very well. He's a terrific person too and would be my first choice for anyone who wanted to learn Jim Stamp's method. Excellent tuning and playing in the center of the pitch with a rich sound were at the forefront of Stamp's teaching. He had a grand piano in his studio and he literally pounded the pitches into our heads.

Enough...there are still people out there who remember JS and can impart much of his knowledge. I do remember that virtually every lesson with him was inspiring and uplifting. No negative or confrontational issues...the man was pure positive concentration and benevolence. He was indeed a genius teacher.
All the best,
Ed
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Stamp in central Cal Reply with quote

Any referrals for Stamp teachers in central california..appreciate it.

Alan
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Loken wrote:
You could try Ron Romm at the University of Illinois. He studied directly with James Stamp, and he's a great teacher. Very nice guy, too. Ronnie's got some fascinating stories about J. S. and his abilities as a teacher and troubleshooter. Good luck!

+1 on a lesson with Ron. I took my first lesson yesterday and his knowledge and ability to explain and make playing concepts re: Stamp understandable are amazing. Ron is also a great guy with a great sense of humor and it was a pleasure to stand 3 feet away from his bell. What a sound! Can't wait for my next lesson.
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if there are any teachers in Colorado that have studied with James Stamp?
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, anyone who studied with James Stamp in the Chicago area?
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Stamp Reply with quote

I know Jonas Feldman is a Stamp guy in Toronto
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stamp Reply with quote

Jabroni wrote:
I know Jonas Feldman is a Stamp guy in Toronto

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind if I ever travel to Canada. I'll have to get a passport first though.

I guess Ronald Romm is a possibility. Only a couple of hours from Chicago. I'm not sure how to get in contact with him or if he would be interested in teaching me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: