• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adam Rapa reveals his secret.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver Hix wrote:
I'm very sorry, I skipped a number of the pages, so maybe this was already answered- do y'all think Adam is lying or is ignorant of exactly how he is playing?

I skipped all those pages, too! Adam is telling the truth and knows exactly what he is doing when he's playing.

And what Peter Bond says is obviously true for him, but for me and I'm sure for many others, my tongue does not come into contact with my lower lip when I do a tongue trill in any register. I can easily do rapid, Maynard Ferguson type trills up high, and while it is definitely facilitated by my arching tongue moving in the same manner it moves if I were to whistle a trill, my lip is not supporting or touching my lower lip while this happens. And like Peter, I tongue K-Tongue Modified (Dorsal) style. My tongue does often articulate against my lower lip when I am playing articulated notes.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame. This thread was so peacefully dead.

Kent
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May it R.I.P.
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting thread for those willing to ignore pathetic and useless battles of words to concentrate on some very good advice from some very wise and competent people.

Too many times on this forum you have to dig into big bunches of b.s. to get a few gems... A little more active moderation would be welcome.

I have attended two masterclasses with Adam, and I had the chance to hear him play from up close quite a few times. Frankly speaking I don't give a damn what law of nature is behind what he does, what matters is that it works very well for him and for most people who follow his advice. I have NEVER seen anyone playing at that level so effortlessly. The guy's for real, both as a performer AND a teacher.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
It is the air stream FOCUS that all forms of anchor tonguing produce. This is why it works for anchor tonguing and fails with tongue tip tonguing.

In the tiss syllable the sides of the tongue touch the teeth up to the roof of the mouth cutting the width of the air stream dramatically.

Blow x amount of air at 1 inch of lip tissue you get a note. Blow the same X amount at 1/2 an inch of lip tissue and the note is an octave higher.

Air focus with anchor tonguing is our octave key.

Look for the 1976 Brian Wadsworth study done with the physics dept at The University of BC. They call the action the critical width of the air stream changing octaves.

+1
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:

Kent

Wow, I had no idea that this was a thread just recently brought back from 3+ years of TH Purgatory! It's Oliver's fault.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does one obtain a Dan Moi?
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Where does one obtain a Dan Moi?

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dan-moi

Google is your friend. At least the search function can be...
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC wrote:
crzytptman wrote:
LeeC wrote:
Quote:
When you restricted your mouth cavity by moving your tongue upwards you actually closed your jaw slightly at the same time. This reduced the "door frame" of the upper lip and allowed a higher pitch to emanate. But the restriction of the mouth cavity had nothing to do with the pitch change directly.

The idea that a jaw movement causing a teeth closure and influencing a reduction in upper lip aperture size making the pitch ascend (in a brass instrument player) is supported by ALL THE EVIDENCE.[/b]

The idea that a tongue arch raises a pitch is REFUTED by ALL OF NATURAL LAW.

So take your pick. This ain't like betting on Red vs Black here folks...

Ok I get that, BUT - when you close the apeture of anything (for example, arching the tongue closes the apeture of the air passing by the teeth) the air speeds up. Same volume of air will move at a greater speed. Speed = pitch, and volume = volume. There's some science bro
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:

Ok I get that, BUT - when you close the apeture of anything (for example, arching the tongue closes the apeture of the air passing by the teeth) the air speeds up. Same volume of air will move at a greater speed. Speed = pitch, and volume = volume. There's some science bro

Turn on the water in your bathroom sink, and then slowly close the valve. That's science, too.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver Hix wrote:
I'm very sorry, I skipped a number of the pages, so maybe this was already answered- do y'all think Adam is lying or is ignorant of exactly how he is playing?

Because those are the only two possible options?

Dude is a world-class/elite/fantastic/stud/humble/brilliant trumpet player, so PERHAPS (just perhaps) he's on to something and he's trying to explain it as clearly as possible so the layman can understand it?

Nah, he's just an ignorant liar.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A keen thread that delves into pros / cons of the tongue, Tingshas, as well as the garden hose example often mentioned but seen differently here.
( pg 5 )

LeeC wrote:

Like poles repel, opposites attract.

Momentum.

Newton's "Equal and opposite reaction" Law.

Each of the above is an example of a particular condition of natural law.

But no one can break a natural law. Gravity will pull that bowling ball down every time without exception.

The Psi within the body/mouth cavity is the ONLY force that can generate an air column vibration inside the mouthpiece opening of any brass instrument. The speed of the air prior to release is irrelevant.

This is a "Closed System" (my words)

Adam's Jews harp (or whatever it is) is part of an "Open System".

The old "Nozzle at the end of a garden hose" isn't applicable to a tongue arch.

Reason?

It isn't the release point.

The vibrating portion of the lips inside the mouthpiece is the release point. Here the "faster air" makes a difference but it only gets "faster" as it leaves the lips into the mouthpiece. Not before.

THAT is the "garden hose nozzle".

Oddly a tongue arch usually can't cause any harm. Not unless it truly sealed off most all the channel. At that time we'd hear and audible "Heeeccthhhhheptthhzch" turbulence inside the mouth.

And for those practitioners of the tongue arch? You might not even be speeding up the air inside the mouth. Not usually. You see once the tongue raises up in the mouth the air will slip around the sides of the tongue and escape. About the only way to actually speed up the air in the mouth would be to make a perfect seal with the tongue and sides of the upper teeth.

But in any case it has zero effect on the lips.

Whistling? Yes! Because whistling is a very open lip setting. This feeling probably is where the false idea of tongue arching started in the first place.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the lip vibrations that cause the air vibrations inside the mpc, and those vibrations also then cause the vibrations in the horn and inside the mouth.

The size and shape of the mouth cavity affects how well those vibrations can be created and maintained (similar to using valves to change the tubing length). Changing the tongue position is an important way of adjusting the 'inside mouth cavity' to support (and perhaps enhance) the vibrations.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:

Kent

...and 5 years later.... same scenario !

Btw, Best wishes to everybody
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy with an unusually low upper palate (some say)...the thought being there was a type of 'supercharged' resonant chamber waiting to unleash..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0KYmElnOD0Y
kozzicomma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I've missed some responses that may correct what I'm about to say, but there's some bad physics information in this thread and some general misunderstanding. I think people are confusing pressure (psi) with air velocity and, in turn, pitch. If you close the aperture pressure WILL decrease because you're creating more restriction on the air stream. However, velocity will actually INCREASE. Air velocity, as regards trumpet playing, is what makes the lips vibrate faster and thus an increase in pitch. Pressure is involved in this whole interaction, but is not the direct source of changes of pitch. This is a basic fluid dynamics problem unless you count the irregularities in embouchure types (which will turn it into a rather complicated problem), but simply said "smaller orifice = lower pressure and higher velocity" and vice versa. Smaller orifice includes the whole mouth (lips, mouth cavity, etc.).
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kozzicomma wrote:
Forgive me if I've missed some responses that may correct what I'm about to say, but there's some bad physics information in this thread and some general misunderstanding. I think people are confusing pressure (psi) with air velocity and, in turn, pitch. If you close the aperture pressure WILL decrease because you're creating more restriction on the air stream. However, velocity will actually INCREASE. Air velocity, as regards trumpet playing, is what makes the lips vibrate faster and thus an increase in pitch. Pressure is involved in this whole interaction, but is not the direct source of changes of pitch. This is a basic fluid dynamics problem unless you count the irregularities in embouchure types (which will turn it into a rather complicated problem), but simply said "smaller orifice = lower pressure and higher velocity" and vice versa. Smaller orifice includes the whole mouth (lips, mouth cavity, etc.).

Hi,

From my perspective I think you have that completely wrong. Air velocity isn't the decisive factor in pitch- just trying playing a note and increasing the speed of the air, without any change elsewhere, and you will find the note (most likely) simply crescendos rather than rises in pitch.

Your statement that 'air pressure decreases as pitch rises' is incorrect, the air pressure must rise (this is primarily done by increasing the internal resistance in order to stimulate compression).

All the best
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the location where the air pressure is being measured needs to be considered:
- inside the mouth - before the aperture
- within the aperture itself (Bernoulli principle?)
- inside the mpc

Jay
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, analysis equals paralysis.

With all that in mind, how are you supposed to make music?

Dear beginning trumpeters, pls don't read this thread:)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
Good grief, analysis equals paralysis.

--------------
Sometimes that's true, but if a person doesn't think about what is happening, how can they explain it, or instruct someone else?

A good teacher/coach knows the 'analysis', can detect flaws, and offers constructive and understandable advise.

"just DO it" isn't always the right answer.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: