• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eb/F Contralto Trumpet Recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marius Strauss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Eb/F Contralto Trumpet Recordings Reply with quote

Are there any recordings featuring the Eb/F Contralto Trumpet?
poprishchin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing a recording of Stefan Wolpe's "Solo Piece for Trumpet" a while ago that was played on low F trumpet. (One movement is composed for low F trumpet but is often done on Bb instrument....)

Unfortunately, I don't remember which CD it was! Something in my college library, I'm sure. A quick search of the net only reveals one recording - Ray Mase's 'Trumpet in Our Time.' Maybe it was that one!
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Tarr has done some work on the low F trumpet. This might be the recording, but I'm not 100% certain.
http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=326443

Matt
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used some large F trumpets on the soundtrack for Lord of the Rings - any excuse to watch those films again
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poprishchin wrote:
I remember hearing a recording of Stefan Wolpe's "Solo Piece for Trumpet" a while ago that was played on low F trumpet. (One movement is composed for low F trumpet but is often done on Bb instrument....)

Unfortunately, I don't remember which CD it was! Something in my college library, I'm sure. A quick search of the net only reveals one recording - Ray Mase's 'Trumpet in Our Time.' Maybe it was that one!

Mase's recording is on Bb throughout. Reinhold Friedrich uses the alto trumpet for his recording (Modern Trumpet).[/i]
jsnfmn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a piece last summer for Alto Trumpet in F and Viola and played it in recital shortly after. I'll put a link here for anyone interested once I get the recording up on my website.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eb/F Contralto Trumpet Recordings Reply with quote

Marius Strauss wrote:
I think we're sometimes talking about two different things here. The Bach low F trumpet is a contra-alto instrument. Tarr's recordings are on a low F soprano trumpet -- the difference being in the bore and bell taper. This is real noticeable if the horns are next to each other.
Pocket Monkeys
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rimsky-Korsakov
Procession of the Nobles, Mlada
Cortege
jsnfmn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Monkeys wrote:
Rimsky-Korsakov
Cortege

These are certainly originally written for the alto instrument (which was invented by R-K; some other notable examples are Shosty 1, Stravinsky's Scherzo Fantastique, Rachmaninoff 3 and Glazunov 8), but you will almost never hear them played on an alto trumpet. In his orchestration book he even states that he never writes the lowest notes so that the parts can be played on a regular Bb instrument, and that is exactly what most players do. It would be quite an undertaking to figure out what, if any, recordings do use the alto trumpet in these parts, and I'd also be very interested in seeing such a list.

It seems definite that Wolpe's piece was written for the alto instrument, and not the F seen in Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss, et al. I certainly wouldn't want to play that movement if it transposed up a fourth instead of down a fifth!
jsnfmn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnfmn wrote:
I wrote a piece last summer for Alto Trumpet in F and Viola and played it in recital shortly after. I'll put a link here for anyone interested once I get the recording up on my website.

Just put this up, the recording is definitely not our best run through, and the piece was written to be intentionally awkward to play in order to stress the frequently perceived deficiencies in both instruments, but this may give you an idea of the sound of the instrument including with a mute in the middle section. Admittedly there are not too many spots where you hear the pure tone unaltered in some way (eg hummed notes, lip bends, out of tune partials and fingerings, etc).

http://jsnfmn.net/music_compositions.html
Dr Worm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find your recording.
Flugelhorn: Couesnon (Pre PGM)
Curry Mouthpieces.
jsnfmn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Worm wrote:
I cannot find your recording.

It's an mp3 file linked to slightly down on the page, the piece is called Tinge & Deviate. Here's a direct link to the mp3:

Tinge & Deviate
gsmonks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eb/F Contralto Trumpet Recordings Reply with quote

Marius Strauss wrote:

You'd have to go back to at least the 1950s to find old European recordings featuring F contra-alto trumpets. The 19th century contralto trumpet in F or Eb was probably never recorded.

The modern Bb trumpet took over ca 1910. The instrument in question was not the modern Perinet-valve instrument we call a trumpet. The modern instrument is a cornet, not a trumpet. The rotary-valve Bb trumpet had been around since the 1880s.

Parts for the low F/Eb contralto trumpet are rare, and are generally covered by other instruments.
gsmonks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eb/F Contralto Trumpet Recordings Reply with quote

DH wrote:
Marius Strauss wrote:
I think we're sometimes talking about two different things here. The Bach low F trumpet is a contra-alto instrument. Tarr's recordings are on a low F soprano trumpet -- the difference being in the bore and bell taper. This is real noticeable if the horns are next to each other.

Close, but no chocolate cigar. The Bach 187f is a contralto instrument. The low F instrument used in orchestras is the contra-alto.
gsmonks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnfmn wrote:
Pocket Monkeys wrote:
Rimsky-Korsakov
Cortege

These are certainly originally written for the alto instrument (which was invented by R-K; some other notable examples are Shosty 1, Stravinsky's Scherzo Fantastique, Rachmaninoff 3 and Glazunov , but you will almost never hear them played on an alto trumpet. In his orchestration book he even states that he never writes the lowest notes so that the parts can be played on a regular Bb instrument, and that is exactly what most players do. It would be quite an undertaking to figure out what, if any, recordings do use the alto trumpet in these parts, and I'd also be very interested in seeing such a list.

It seems definite that Wolpe's piece was written for the alto instrument, and not the F seen in Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss, et al. I certainly wouldn't want to play that movement if it transposed up a fourth instead of down a fifth!

If you track down some old recordings of Bizet's Carmen, you can hear parts written for F conta-alto trumpet. You can tell when you're listening to contra-altos because the (two?) low notes in that big unison section don't get cut off.
gsmonks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eb/F Contralto Trumpet Recordings Reply with quote

Marius Strauss wrote:

Here's one. This guy does a passable job of the Franck symphony excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6STV5H-nStI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: