• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the preferred lip balm of trumpet players?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Chop Saver, Canadian Brass is running a pretty good special with Berp Bio Oil. I think the savings is pretty good if you like both products, which I do.
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*CHAPSTICK ALL-NATURAL*
--No chemicals
--Only natural ingredients
--Medium viscosity, with no oily feeling
--No petrolatum

I've tried ChopSaver, and I couldn't stand it. I'm not sure why people rave about it being non-greasy, because it was the greasiest stuff I have ever put on my face. Like bacon grease dipped in olive oil...gross!

In reference to the comment made about lip balm not being needed if you're playing enough, there is some credence to that. Is it a good idea to use it anyway, in order to keep the lips soft and supple? Absolutely. If one is playing so much that his chops are the consistency of a catcher's mitt, lip balm will help. I spent nearly a decade playing high-lead for 10 hours a day, every day, in the sun, whilst running around on a football field. The chop time was great for endurance and power, but had I not used lip balm diligently, that schedule would have destroyed me.
trumpetp1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Lip Balm Reply with quote

I like ChopSaver, but it costs more than just about anything else in my area (Neutrogena, Burt's Bees etc.). So, I usually just use Chapstick All Natural (clear tube) or Blistex Complete Moisture (blue tube). Inexpensive and effective!
spacekillguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dislike ALL lip balms, i think its just me though because i swells my lips like a balloon, and it takes like 5 hours to unswell, even with ice!

and yes i mean all lip balms, even chopsaver

but i like to use chopsaver on those super dry winter days that can seriously crack your lips

and i usually use burts beeswax AFTER i play my instrument, which is like at 10 pm at night, and i wipe it off after i feel i've had enough

of course thats just me...
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Rheinhardt always said to beware of most lip balms because they contain eucalyptus oil. His assertion was that it gets in your pores and comes back out, making your chops slippery, when you play.

His recommendation was White's Vitamin A&D ointment. Works for me.

Alan
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention Preparation H. Helps with the swelling, too.
Ellsworth
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Forgot to mention Preparation H. Helps with the swelling, too.

Dude, if you're using Preparation H, we need to talk about your embouchure placement
Yamaha YTR-751 D
Besson 60 MD Eb/D
Wurlitzer Melodie C/Bb/A
Conn 85A Bb/A Cornet
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Chopsaver. However, Badger, Burt's Bees and Lipsyl are all quite good, too.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
CJH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapstick for me. I use the stuff in the blue tube with spf. I don't know why I use that one particularly, I just do, I'm used to it, and it works great for me on the nasty dry cold winter days.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmex
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't resist re-telling this story. Was back in winter of 1977-78 or so and our band was traveling through New Hampshire playing the local dives.

This group required a non stop un-amplified brass section going five hours an evening. Took me about a year and a half of this pounding work to get to a certain point where I was largely unaffected by any lip problems. Either playing or weather induced.

During a particularly cold snap the rhythm section players were going through a nasty bout of chapped lips and gums. The bass player announced:

"Let's go find out what lip balm Lee is using. He's gotta know what to do".

Sorry to tell them that i wasn't using anything at all. Heck during that winter I could have kissed an iceberg at forty below and not missed my next entrance.

Another thing about long term heavy playing matters: When playing long hours for months or years in a row, you don't need much of a warm up most times. Playing the trumpet becomes the natural condition. We don't need to "warm up" our feet before going for a leisurely walk.

Unless our opening show started with notes well above High C I wouldn't need to warm up. Most times back in those days my "warm up" consisted of two parts

1. One glass of C-O-L-D Gin ("hold the tonic") and immediately jumping on stage.

2. Pulling tuning slide out at the end of the first number as the horn went sharp after the temperature rise.

Beginners should consider adding tonic seltzer to recipe No. 1. This is an advanced players warm up (wink)
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
You guys are hilarious!

Maybe, but looks aren't everything.
tipo mastr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use chopsaver, not because it somehow "saves" my chops, but rather that it can lock in moisture without leaving a residue that has to be wiped off minutes before playing. that last part is the most important part for me...if I apply it, I want to be able to take it off at any time and start playing.

Regardless, I try not to expose my chops to the elements...when I'm outsde on really cold windy days, I usually cover my mouth.
rbdeli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhmmm. I think you might be making a good point about becoming addicted to lip balm. I might be guilty of that.

What happened to me is that I changed trumpet teachers back when I was about 16 years old. I used to play with my lips dry. He made me start playing wet, and my lips have been chapped ever since - even though I rarely play anymore! Now I am addicted to Mentholatum Stick Lip Balm!

Crazy Finn wrote:
What's my preferred lip balm? None.

I don't like using a lip balm for a few reasons:

- It adds an different feel to playing the horn (A minor consideration)
- The more you use a lip balm, the more your lips seem to need one. The less you use one, the less you'll need one you'll discover.

Sometimes I see people who apply lip balm every 15 minutes or so (even brass players). It's ridiculous. Human lips thrived survived for thousands of years without lip balms.

Now, I'll admit that there are sometimes a few days in the winter (and by a few, I mean 5 or less) when my lips really dry out - especially overnight. I use either the Vaseline Lip therapy (non medicated) which is basically Vaseline in a lip balm-like container or one of the Burt's Bees lip products. Stay as natural as possible. Stuff like Chapstick and others have lots of chemicals you don't need to expose yourself or your lips to.

The fewer chemicals you put on your lips the healthier they and you will be.

rbdeli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burts Bees feels great on the lips, but it goes on like white lipstick and ends up making you look like a clown with white lips. I already play like a clown why would I want to look like one too?

PH wrote:
I prefer Chopsaver. However, Badger, Burt's Bees and Lipsyl are all quite good, too.

rbdeli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was talking about our playing.

dershem wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
You guys are hilarious!

Maybe, but looks aren't everything.

Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC wrote:

If your lips are chapping in cold weather you're just not practicing enough.

This is one of the purest barometers of endurance. The person playing the heavy gigs over many months/years doesn't need lip balm. His chops are steel.

Baloney. Everyone is different. Lips chap due to weather changes and hydration levels all the time. Has nothing to do with endurance.

I rarely use any kind of lip balm, and when I do, it's merely to comfort the symptom of chapped, cracking lips, not to aid in playing. I use Burts Beeswax. Simple, nothing crazy toxic, and it wipes off quickly.

When I have to play, I just rub my lips, grin and bear the discomfort, and blow.

FWIW.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umyoguy wrote:
LeeC wrote:

If your lips are chapping in cold weather you're just not practicing enough.

This is one of the purest barometers of endurance. The person playing the heavy gigs over many months/years doesn't need lip balm. His chops are steel.

Baloney. Everyone is different. Lips chap due to weather changes and hydration levels all the time. Has nothing to do with endurance.

I rarely use any kind of lip balm, and when I do, it's merely to comfort the symptom of chapped, cracking lips, not to aid in playing. I use Burts Beeswax. Simple, nothing crazy toxic, and it wipes off quickly.

When I have to play, I just rub my lips, grin and bear the discomfort, and blow.

FWIW.

Jon

He must not live in Michigan.

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedevilisbad wrote:

Are you referring to cold weather climates?

I've used a lip balm three times over the past two years (Burt's Bees). I live in Minnesota.

I agree - hydration and diet make more of a difference than anything else. I don't think playing endurance has much to do with chapping, though it obviously has much to do with playing.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
thedevilisbad wrote:

Are you referring to cold weather climates?

I've used a lip balm three times over the past two years (Burt's Bees). I live in Minnesota.

I agree - hydration and diet make more of a difference than anything else. I don't think playing endurance has much to do with chapping, though it obviously has much to do with playing.

That's exactly what I mean. I agree, hydration is probably the most important thing for not just keeping your lips in good shape but your whole body as well. Sometimes though, I think one needs the extra help of a lip balm, but I would say that 97% of it has to do with hydration.

I was just commenting on th playing endurance thing.

Do my weaknesses of a trumpet player make my nose run? Cause that is often what chaps my lips.

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: