• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead trumpet "At the Sands"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marvin75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Lead trumpet "At the Sands"? Reply with quote

Who played lead on Sinatra at the Sands (1966)?
KPC517
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Google:

"Eisaman, whose stage name is Don Edwards, served as lead trumpet for some legendary artists, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald and Jerry Lewis. He’s performed for presidents Lyndon Johnson, John Kennedy, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan."

And:

"While in Las Vegas, he also recorded the original “Ocean’s Eleven” soundtrack with the Rat Pack and worked with Sinatra on his “Sinatra at the Sands” album. During his transition from Vegas showman to traveling musician, playing for Broadway shows and other notable entertainers while on his way East, Edwards teamed up with Isaac Hayes to create the soundtrack for the original “Shaft” movie. The album sold more than 10 million copies."

From reading some articles, I think the album was cut with the Count Basie Orchestra.
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.5, Shew 2
Shew Flugel
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this album. If you want to learn how to swing, this is a great place to start. The ablum was recorded with Count Basie. Love it!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That album has been the subject of several TH threads, might be worth searching the archives.

There was a lot of intense discussion on was it Brisbois / Gozzo (who died in 1964) / etc.

I don't recall what was decided...except that it wasn't Goz.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Sinatra At The Sands w/ Count Basie Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that Al Porcino did the week of live recordings with Sinatra at the Sands [not a regular part of the Basie band] until my buddy Dave Belknap informed me this week that it was him. If you don't have this recording, get it. Priceless!
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
KPC517
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice!! Nothing like having it right from the horses mouth!! (So much for Google!! lol). I am going to purchase it tonight!!
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.5, Shew 2
Shew Flugel
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the 'Sinatra: Vegas' box set has an entire CD of different performances from that Sands run. Also better sound quality. They really need to go back and remix the original album.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Sinatra Vegas Box set Reply with quote

If you're referring to the boxed set of live recordings [including a Caesars DVD] the date with the Basie band at the Sands isn't in that one. If it's the one I think it is, it includes recordings made from the sound boards at Caesars and the Golden Nugget by the soundman without permission. I heard that the union [Local 369] was getting that project stopped until proper payment was made but it certainly is on the shelves now and I haven't heard about anybody getting the bread for it. That would explain the poor sound quality. It's always interesting to see these recordings show up years later and realize you're on them. I have found more "bootleg" recordings of bands I was on in the most unusual places around the world than actual "official" recordings commercially released. With such good digital equipment now, it can only increase the problem. If you don't think it's hurting you as a professional musician, wait until you find out your pension is missing those contributions and you're getting screwed and nobody seems able to do anything about it.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
"Count Basie Live At The Sands" is a recording of the band playing before Frank each night. the section listed is=Al aarons, Sonny Cohn, Wallace Davenport, Phil Guilbeau. It sounded like Wallace Davenport in 1966. Listen to him with Thad/Mel later that year, smokin' style/sound!
Again, this is the Basie Band at the end of Jan/feb 1st at the Copa room, Sands Hotel blowin before Frank came out. Short opening set before Frank came out, they recorded all the nights and put together this recording.

I didn't know that Wallace Davenport ever played with Thad & Mel. I thought that Snooky played with them from the beginning of the band until he left for L.A. with the Tonight Show Band. Was Wallace on any recordings by Thad & Mel? He's one of my favorite players and I'd love to get those recordings.

Tom

Tom
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to the boxed set of live recordings [including a Caesars DVD] the date with the Basie band at the Sands isn't in that one.

Well, it's a different date from the same run as 'Live at the Sands' (Jan/Feb '66), just different live takes of the same tunes, plus a few bonuses. Basically an 'alternate takes' version of 'Live at the Sands'. It's the 2nd CD in the set. Sound quality is much better than the original, so the Basie band has more depth to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Vegas-Box-Set-1DVD/dp/B000GIWS6A/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

You can scroll down at the Amazon link and view the entire song list under disc 2. Note that it's not a DVD, despite what the first track says. The DVD is disc 5, different venue, different year. Note that disc 1 is also from the Sands several years earlier, another fabulous recording. Discs 1 and 2 are really superb. The DVD, not so much.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
jakeboldman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Aarons was on lead

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/live-at-the-sands-count-basie-orchestra-reprise-review-by-jack-bowers.php
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the "Sinatra At The Sands" LP album when it first came out (I was in high school) and played it repeatedly until I wore it out! Incredible show by Sinatra and the Basie Band. One of my Top 5 all-time favorite recordings.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: