• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buying a pocket trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP wants a pocket trumpet to "display," not to play.

Those who want to play other brass instruments already will probably be looking for the best quality they can afford.

Have we lost sight of the question the OP asked and are we considering the "limited use" the OP has planned for the lower cost pocket trumpet?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcahynuacrkd:

No offense, but have you PLAYED any of the "junk" you are disparaging? The Wisemann and Jupiter pockets are nice, and a giant cut above the eBay junk (Cecilio, etc). No, they aren't Calicchios (I used to own one of those, too), but they are an almost perfect second horn.

Try one - you may just amend your opinion!

Pat (my REAL name)
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plunkett wrote:
mcahynuacrkd:

No offense, but have you PLAYED any of the "junk" you are disparaging? The Wisemann and Jupiter pockets are nice, and a giant cut above the eBay junk (Cecilio, etc). No, they aren't Calicchios (I used to own one of those, too), but they are an almost perfect second horn.

Pat (my REAL name)

Yes I have Pat , and no, I won't change my opinion. I am into trumpet gear, and I am very picky about horns.

Pat you must be one of only a very few TH'ers who do not know who I am, so for folks like you I will change my TH signature. I am not trying to hide my identity:

http://www.musicianspage.com/musicians/5762/more/
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Personally, I've never understood the pocket trumpet thing other than for portability. I don't play toys, I play instruments. The reason I play is to enjoy my sound, so why would I want to sound like a kiddie toy? Of course, you could buy a top line pocket trumpet. But, if you have $1800 to spend on a real good pocket trumpet - why not spend it on a real trumpet?

There are two reasons I would like a high quality pocket trumpet. One is that I am usually in the office late and it would be nice to keep a pocket trumpet in my desk, along with a practice mute. Same for traveling. As you mention, they are much more portable than a full size horn.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard King play and a really big practice mute in the pocket trumpet would help alot!!!!!
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolling360 wrote:
I have heard King play and a really big practice mute in the pocket trumpet would help alot!!!!!

Hey!!!! I resemble that remark.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Indian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcahynuacrkd wrote:
plunkett wrote:
mcahynuacrkd:

Pat (my REAL name)

Yes I have Pat , and no, I won't change my opinion. I am into trumpet gear, and I am very picky about horns.

Pat you must be one of only a very few TH'ers who do not know who I am, so for folks like you I will change my TH signature. I am not trying to hide my identity:

http://www.musicianspage.com/musicians/5762/more/

This kind of sums up the arguments both ways. I have two CHEAP pocket trumpets a Jean Baptist and a Jupiter. Are the great horns? Well NO WAY!!! Are they fun to play? YES !!!!!!!!!!!

I know they will not play like a high end horn Calicchio or otherwise but for what I wanted they serve the purpose I bought them for. I wanted a very small horn I could carry on or check at the airport that I could use a practice mute with when staying in hotels while traveling. I wanted a horn that would not break my heart or wallet if it was lost or damaged. They play well enough to carry a tune and they keep my chops in shape when I travel.

A word of caution here - NEVER play the horn in a hotel at 2:00AM without the practice mute!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid $100 for one and $90 for the other horn.

I would much rateher trash one of my pocket trumpets than my artist bore H.N. White King SilverTone.
Conn Vocabell 40A - 40B - 80A - 81A - 38A -Victor - 22B - 12B Coprion bell - 16B,
Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe
Holton French LeBlanc - Al Hirt 550
Olds Studio - Special
Besson 10-10
progmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't help but notice the Carol pocket trumpet has not been mentioned. Here is the review many of us have probably already read. They run about 500 or 600 and are supposed to be among the best out there.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimtheTrumpeter,

Not sure you have seen this link about Pocket Cornets, but it is very interesting:

http://www.pocketcornets.com/

Many others at TH have visted the link, but others may not have.

Enjoy!

Lloyd
TimTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread everyone! Lot of good info in here. This helped clear some things up and offered me some new information to search online.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For display, pick whatever you like and spray clear lacquer over it to prevent fingerprints, will look the same in 10 years hanging on the wall as it does when it comes in.

If you actually intend to play it, forget anything under a grand. You might get lucky and find a player for less, but don't count on it.

For display, one of the chrome plated Celeios look pretty nice, and at less than 100 would do great.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
alanjk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a pocket trumpet Reply with quote

The inferior playing quality of most pocket trumpets has been clearly expressed here. I am an amateur. When I travel to professional conferences (not musical) I like to take a cheap horn with me that I can use to practice with a mute in my hotel room. My purpose is to continue to learn pieces, practice fundamentals and keep up my lips while away from home. Lousy sound and poor intonation are a given but it sure beats not being able to practice at all. What I would look for most in a pocket trumpet is valves that most closely resemble the action of my good horn. A smaller cheap horn that is easier to carry would be useful. Does the Wiseman fit the bill? The Jupiter? Also I have been using the electronic Yamaha Silent Brass, usually with just the mute and not the earpiece. Any better suggestions?
Thanks
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Is that a trumpet in your pocket? Reply with quote

Or are yoou just glad to see me? Lighten up guys. It isn't your main axe unless your name is Don Cherry. I had an awful Czek made pocket cornet and had a ball with it. (It was improved with a Schilke leadpipe) It was great for impromptu sitting in, road and backpacking trips and busking on Michigan Ave between engagements. It is what it is. The Jupiter is actually pretty good (Leon Merian loved his). I played the Pocket Max, excellent, and almost bought it but Alan (not Charles) was being obnoxious and I didn't want to give him my money.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
I have a Wisemann silver plated Pocket Trumpet which I purchased brand new from dfmusicinc.com. It was $295.00 delivered to my door with a Denis Wick MP of my choice. It comes with a very nice case too!

I'll put a 2nd in for the Wisemann. Many years ago I picked up a used house brand horn form wwandbw.com. It was nice because of size, so I could throw it in the car/suit case... (and yes, play it on the turnpike without hitting the steering wheel).

I was recently at a shop and there was a Wisemann pocket. 1st the CASE was worth the price of admission, it is solid well contructed. The horn itself has a HUGE bell (vs the toy bell of the Brasswind horn) and played REASONABLY well. It's an order of magnitude over the Brasswind horn. Not quite a performance level horn, but for a traveling practice horn/novelty horn....It should serve the purpose.

Re: Highway playing..I know. But, if you want to brighten up people's day, when they are dead stuck on the highway (accident/etc) just take out your horn, open your windows, and PLAY. It seems to brighten things up...and generates smiles where there was only upset before.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
If you actually intend to play it, forget anything under a grand. You might get lucky and find a player for less, but don't count on it.

Pocket Max from Charles Colin is $700 in silver plate with a full sized bell. I've played in in wind ensembles, small groups, and big bands, and it's perfectly serviceable.

Try one...you'll be surprised how well it plays.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to carry with you just the mouthpiece. You can wrap your fist around the shank opening to provide for some resistance.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim:

Selling of instruments in the forum is wrong...BUT...I just picked up a Lacquered and a silver New B-stock Wisemann Pocket available for $175 including shipping....PM me if interested.

-fred
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't going to jump back in, but I'd be wary of the older, small-bell Wisemann pockets, which is what the $175 horn probably is...

Pat
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No this is the new BIG BELL style that Canadian Brass sells (or did sell) on their web site.
RNJTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an Amati - I got on eBay for $250. Perfect condition - the valves are excellent. It plays pretty well - I wouldn't trade my Yamaha for it, but it serves its purposes - vacations, kids birthday parties, for the fun of it.

It does not have a full size bell, but the bell taper allows for a Best Brass or Trumcor Lyric Stealth practice mute.

I really like it and its pretty good looking. New, I think they are around $600 - $700 - but I would hold out for a used one.

I also tried a Chinese one from ebay. The blow wasn't bad, comparable to a student horn, but the valves were downright lousy. I would save your money and get an Amati or Jupiter.

No matter what brand you get, I wouldn't expect it to blow as well as a pro horn...but they are fun to play!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: