• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buying a pocket trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a comparison between a "generic" Taiwan pocket trumpet and the Wisemann. I used the Wisemann case to to rest the horns in, it's solid.

Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope many of you believe it is totally OK to buy a cheap Pocket Trumpet IF the person is fully aware of what they are purchasing.

I bought the new Cecelio SP? Pocket Trumpet from the recent NAMM Show in January for $80.00.

It has Monel valves (not their old stainless steel ones) and sounds like a $80 horn above and below the staff.

In the mid range, it plays just fine for my purposes...keeping my chops loose while playing lip flexibility studies etc. in the mid-range.

Note: I would never play this in a live performance or for recording purposes...I have my Getzen Genesis for that!

I will say that a Harmon mute (no stem) hides a multitude the poor tone quality of some of the notes yet allows you to hear and adjust notes versus just buzzing on a MP

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
jazzjunior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hipster wrote:
KingSilverSonic wrote:
Who has played the Taylor Pocket Rocket for a comparison?

I've played a Taylor Pocket Rocket, it is has a really nice tone, it is HEAVY, has a monster size bell, takes some getting used to actually holding it, and when really checking against a tuner only a nice scale from C below the staff to G on top, lower than the C it starts going flat, really flat, pretty fast, and above the G is goes sharp. Still it is a fun novelty item.

I watched the video in youtube that people were playing taylor pocket tp for live music. It seems sound great~
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money, the Carol Pocket Trumpet is a great little horn! I have the model with the large bell, and I've played it in rehearsals on occasion just for fun...and it worked great both from a tone and intonation standpoint.

www.caroltrumpets.com
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: