• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp for comeback

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star1pup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Stamp for comeback Reply with quote

Would following Stamp methods be good for a comback player? The idea of books and CDs seems like a good one.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work with a teacher who uses and understands Stamp's methodology, it will serve you at least as well as any other approach. However, just as with every other approach, whether or not you'll be able to make heads or tails of it without proper guidance is up for question. Even for comebackers, a teacher can really make all of the difference.

As for the method itself: I think it's a great one. Like every other method, the goal is a beautiful and connected sound through all registers of the instrument. I have personally found mouthpiece buzzing to be an invaluable part of my fundamental work, but others will tell you that it's a waste of time. In the end, it's up to how well you understand and implement the method, and how well your face responds to it.
Star1pup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting the recommendation to get a good teacher, but I have tried everythinbg from phone books to Internet to find a trumpet teacher with no luck. I might be on my own in my part of Ohio unless I want to drive 60 miles one way to Pittsburgh.
PAB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many teachers are now offering lessons online via skype, or other video chat programs. You may want to look into that as an option. In-person lessons might be preferable, but online would certainly be better than no lessons at all (and some say the online lessons are just like being there anyway).

Best of luck to you on your comeback trail.

Ben
The Kraken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star1pup wrote:
I keep getting the recommendation to get a good teacher, but I have tried everythinbg from phone books to Internet to find a trumpet teacher with no luck. I might be on my own in my part of Ohio unless I want to drive 60 miles one way to Pittsburgh.

I having the same problem finding good trumpet instruction also, mainly because I prefer in-person sessions which I beleive are alot better, I may be wrong of course, I have been in the past

So any of you out there who live in and or in the Ventura, Los Angeles , CA area who instruct and or know of some one please PM me with info.

Thanks
Comeback Player end date: Till Death Do Us Part
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to contact the band directory at your local high school. He or she might be able to put you in touch with someone who gives private lessons in your area. The trumpet section in the nearest community band is another place to ask.
leadtpt1955
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star1pup wrote:

A 60 mile drive should not be much of a hindrance if you REALLY want to learn something! I've travelled hundreds of miles to see various teachers in various cities in North America and Europe for lessons. Believe me, even one trip to see a high-end professional player/teacher will pay huge dividends for you. You may experience a huge "AHA!" moment that will turn your playing around. Pittsburgh has a wealth of great player/teachers for you to work with - just call the symphony office for a start. If you don't want to drive then take a bus. Not wanting to drive 60 miles sounds more like an excuse than a reason!

Adams A4LT Trumpet
Adams Sterling Silver Bell Flugelhorn
Star1pup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you all know, I believe a face to face lesson is the best way to go. Driving a round trip of 120 miles twice a week at 15 mpg is not in my budget and our local school had little to offer. I am taking lessons from a music teacher, but I know more about trumnpet than the teacher, and I'm not bragging. He has been a big help by listening while I play and telling when I am not usuing my air, etc. Right now I really need a trumpet teacher and thought the books & CDs might help.

On line might be an idea, but I'm not sure how that would work.
frmrleadplyr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Poper teaches in Cleveland. While I've never studied with him, most people agree he's a really good source on Stamp teachings. Hope this helps!
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you contact the organ professor at Franciscan University in Steubenville. He ought to know a professional trumpet player.

Dr. Paul Weber
pweber@franciscan.edu
(740) 284-5884

Also, since the have a sacred music program, they probably perform the Messiah. So, between the choir director and the organ instructor they could probably lead you in the right direction to a good performer who also teaches.

Let us know where you are close to and maybe we can be more specific.

Are you close to Youngstown?
http://fpa.ysu.edu/music/aboutdana/faculty/Brass/ChristopherKrummel.shtml
Dr. Christopher Krummel
clkrummel@ysu.edu
330/941-1838 (studio)

Last edited by ltkije1966 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Stamps for my comeback. They are great. But, a teacher is essential, even if its only every 3 weeks.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Roy Poper Reply with quote

Roy teaches at Oberlin Conservatory. He learned Stamp from Stamp and has written a companion book to the Stamp method. You probably wouldn't need to see him every week and he may, alternatively, be able to recommend a former student of his who could teach you.
trumpetDS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After college, I sold all of my trumpets except for my Bb and pic and stopped practicing altogether. After a ten year break and lets just say an epiphany, I decided to become trumpet player again. Now that thought cracks me up, because once your a trumpet player, your always a trumpet player.
My first day back, I started with Stamp and haven't looked back and have no regrets. Stamp is much easier with a teacher and trumpet is worth the drive. I immediately got a teacher in a major symphony and I developed a plan so that I would not waste his time, or my wife's and my money. I have not taken a lesson with anyone in the last ten years closer to an hour. My various teachers have been 60, 90, 130, and 150 miles away.
Within six months of returning to the trumpet, I took my first major symphony audition and got several votes from the committee rather than embarrassing myself. Within three years of coming back, I was performing as a sub with a major symphony. Now, I freelance pretty heavily and really enjoy it. Freelancing helped me appreciate my day job and trumpet more.
Without a teacher, I would not have been able to reach my goals though. Speaking of which, set goals, and keep a journal of your progress and routine. Next to studying with amazing teachers and practice, the goals/ journal was probably a bigger help than any trumpet, mouthpiece, or book I ever bought. I wish my trumpet students would take my advice on this one. If for whatever reason, you decide not to find a Stamp teacher, get Roy Poper's guide to James Stamp. It is not the same as studying with a Stamphead, but will point you in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy the ride- mmm the trumpet ride. You could take the long way to your lessons and enjoy that ride too.

BTW- As other posters have said, you wouldn't necessarily need a lesson every week. Sometimes I could only get one in every month to six weeks.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamp was an important part of my comeback, and is still and important part of my routine.

I tried it "do it yourself' from the book (no CD at that time) and what I read here and had little success, mainly because I didn't correctly understand the buzzing. Once I started lessons and got some correct guidance, the approach really clicked with me.

I suggest you take a look at the "Dissecting Stamp" threads here.
leadtpt1955
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with a student of James Stamp for two years. The method works wonderfully it terms of developing sound, flexibility, range and flow. However, studying it on your own without proper guidance can be difficult, and may cause a number of problems if not practiced properly. Two prime examples are lip buzzing and pedal tones.
Most people will lip buzz far too tightly and attempt to buzz higher and higher at any cost, too often distorting the embouchure. This must be practiced in a relaxed fashion. It's an exercise in embouchure focus and [b]not[/b] range building.

Pedals are another problem, mainly due to the fact that once again, people will distort their embouchures in order to [b]make[/b] the pedals speak. They [b]must[/b] be played using your normal playing embouchure. Gradually over time they will respond properly and you will be able to play in and out of the pedal register with ease and with good tone. Patience is the key.

I agree with the above poster. Go into the Stamp Dissected thread and read, read, read, and read some more. Get the sense of what is being explained. Then read again

Above all I would try to get at least a few lessons with one of Stamp's students. Roy Poper or Bert Truax are well known but there are many others out there. This method will do wonderful things for your playing but having proper guidance is paramount! Don't shortchange yourself. If you can see a Stamp-focused teacher try for a two or three hour lesson. They will give you plenty of guidance and more than enough to work on for a month or so until you can schedule another lesson, thus avoiding weekly travel costs. And [b]record[/b] your lesson if possible, as this will give you a reference to go by in the event you either don't remember something or are confused by some point or exercise in the book.

Good luck!!

Adams A4LT Trumpet
Adams Sterling Silver Bell Flugelhorn
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadtpt1955 wrote:
I studied with a student of James Stamp for two years. The method works wonderfully it terms of developing sound, flexibility, range and flow. However, studying it on your own without proper guidance can be difficult, and may cause a number of problems if not practiced properly. Two prime examples are lip buzzing and pedal tones.
Most people will lip buzz far too tightly and attempt to buzz higher and higher at any cost, too often distorting the embouchure. This must be practiced in a relaxed fashion. It's an exercise in embouchure focus and not range building.

Pedals are another problem, mainly due to the fact that once again, people will distort their embouchures in order to make the pedals speak. They must be played using your normal playing embouchure. Gradually over time they will respond properly and you will be able to play in and out of the pedal register with ease and with good tone. Patience is the key.

These were exactly the problems I ran into when I tried it without a knowledgeable teacher -- being too tight when I buzzed and not keeping the pedals connected with the rest of my register.
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Star1pup,

I am a comeback player living in Santa Barbara who also some trouble finding a teacher. I went to the local music store and they had only 1 listing for an adult instructor, a semi-pro out of Thousand Oaks. I had a few lessons and while helpful decided his teaching style was not for me.

I purchased a few DVD’s and can highly recommend George Rawlin Air-Play system for diy instruction.

After a year I finally had enough confidence to join the local community college band through adult education. I immediately realized I was in over my head, mostly pop tunes, so wanted an instructor to help me avoid ending up last chair, same place I was in high school.

Saw a flier in the band room wall listing the school’s big bands playing at a local bar. I would prefer to play with the big band but the requirement for an audition scared me off. I went to the concert and was impressed by the lead player who I thought was from LA. Talked to him after the show and found out he was local and would give lesions.

Kind of weird having a teacher half my age but first lesion we spent more time discussing all my built up questions from reading the forums than playing. The man likes the gear just like I do. He gave me Stamp warm ups, recognized my Monette copy mouthpiece, and plays an Austin Winds 470; I can’t wait to try it.

Anyway, the teachers are available you just have to look a bit. There is a pro in Ojai on Craig’s list, JD in TO or pm me and I will hook you up with my new teacher.

David Morrow
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Star1pup,

In my previous post I mixed up you with The Kraken. My experiences apply but all the local references are for The Kraken.

D.M.
Star1pup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superviking805 wrote:
Hi Star1pup,

In my previous post I mixed up you with The Kraken. My experiences apply but all the local references are for The Kraken.

D.M.

Dave,
I understand the mixup. I'm out here in the hinterland and I doubt Craig's list would even help. The only brass teachers I hear of are H.S. Band teachers who are more of an all instrument type of teacher. I'll keep trying until I find someone.
Bll a.k.a Star1pup
mdavis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star1pup,
Where exactly are you in Ohio? I don't know if you know but there is probably the best Stamp expert lives in your state. His name is Roy Poper. He teaches at Oberlin Conservatory and he studied with Stamp for about 20 years. He is also a great fly fisherman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: