• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp for comeback

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star1pup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavis wrote:
Star1pup,
Where exactly are you in Ohio? I don't know if you know but there is probably the best Stamp expert lives in your state. His name is Roy Poper. He teaches at Oberlin Conservatory and he studied with Stamp for about 20 years. He is also a great fly fisherman.

It seems that here between Negley & Rogers it's a long drive to anywhere. I'm close to the eastern Ohio border with PA about halfway between Youngstown & East Liverpool. I like on a lake so maybe Roy would like to stop by with his horn and we can practice and then catch some bass or walleyes. We can do the bass on a flyrod, but need deeper for the walleyes.

I may have found a teacher at my H.S. Alma Mater if he will take me on. He is a trumpet player and not just a music teacher.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamp. The guy recuperated from surgery by increments. He'd walk to the mailbox. That was enough. He'd walk to the corner. He'd accept that distance as an accomplishment. He'd work toward going around the block, then further, always expanding the envelope of his limitations. Talk about the right peace/piece of mind for a combacker's guide!

Distance & Time. As a comebacker and as an adult, the lessons can come less often. You'll remember better, and self-correct more. Maybe just take a drive to a reputable shop on a weekend trip with a friend & in that manner each month scout the territory. Being mindful of...

...blowhards. Yes, you will find them. Just don't let them find you! Bring your horn, play a little and see what advice you get. You might find a good teacher for you this way, plus, it is doubly worth it to have a rapport with a good repair shop. Even if they are an hour away.

That Poper fellow has produced an excellent guide to the Stamp method. Last, look up the posts regarding Caruso. His 6 notes exercise keeps things simple as could be. Deceptively difficult. Don't overdo...
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superviking805 wrote about taking lessons from someone younger. I echo the idea not to let the age of the instructor put you off. It may be humbling, but that can be good for your ego.

I started on the trumpet at the tender age of 43. I remember the humiliation of carrying my daughter's beginner trumpet, with Hello Kitty and Teen Girl Squad stickers on the case, to my first lesson with a MA student at the university who could almost be my son. I struggled to play "Go Tell Aunt Rhodie" ... Sheesh!

Just suck it up and get some lessons!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: