• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

K&M flugel stand with a Dillon flugel?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zachary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: K&M flugel stand with a Dillon flugel? Reply with quote

Anybody happen to know if a Dillon flugelhorn will sit on a K&M flugel stand well?

I like K&M stands in general, I just want to hear a first-hand experience, positive or negative, on this specific horn/stand combo before deciding to get one for my new flugelhorn (I don't want to get the stand just to have the horn wobble on it.)

The horn:
http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/ProductPage/DMB-FL-ROSE.aspx

The stand:
http://www.k-m.de/Flugelhorn.3+M55d1c0b6f36.0.html

Anyone who has happened to try both together, Thanks for sharing any feedback.

--Zachary
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of those stands to use with my getzen eterna flugelhorn. It was too big to go into the bell on my Taylor Standard.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine recently bought a Dillon flugal and a K&M stand. I picked out the horn for him & suggested he get a Spyder stand instead (my personal preference for a flugal stand - mostly because it's lighter in weight), but he got the K&M.

As far as I know he's not had any problems with the stand, fit-or otherwise.

He has a pic of the new baby sitting on the K&M on his fb page. I just sent him a text asking if he's had any fitting issues & will let ya know as soon as he replies.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a reply. He says if anything it's a bit loose, but then again - you don't want the bell grabbing the stand when you reach for a horn.

With the big variety of bells and stands available I think as long as the horn is stable and not in jeopardy of tipping over it's a good fit.

Because a flugal has a lower center of gravity it's gonna be more stable on just about any stand. Years ago when I was using all K&M stands I'd swap the legs between my trumpet & flugal stands - the longer legs made the trumpet stand much more balanced & the shorter legs on the flugal worked just fine.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

trumpmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Im the buddy Tim is referring to. I have the Dillon flugel with the 5 leg K&M stand. I would call it a 99% fit. It's not tight at all. Just a tad bit loose. It will wiggle a little bit but you have to make it do it. So I'd say mine is a good set up.

I don't have the weight issue (with equiptment) Tim does. I don't have to lug my stuff around NYC. But it wouldn't be a bad problem to have.
'58 Conn Director Coprion
Dillon Rose Brass Bell Flugel
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim lugs enough of his own personal weight around the streets of NYC as it is...any chance to do an "equipment diet" and I do it!

butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpmac wrote:
Hi all,
Im the buddy Tim is referring to. I have the Dillon flugel with the 5 leg K&M stand. I would call it a 99% fit. It's not tight at all. Just a tad bit loose. It will wiggle a little bit but you have to make it do it. So I'd say mine is a good set up.

Are you talking the 5-leg K&M flugelhorn stand??
It doesn't fit for me. The stand is too thick. ???

I use a trumpet stand. That's a tiny bit loose and the bell touches the legs, but I put a cloth at the end to keep from scratches. It's balanced enough to jostle around a little bit without danger.
trumpmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, K&M Flugel stand
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference between the 3 & 5- leg K&M is the legs - the cone is the same size whether it's a trumpet or flugal stand.

trumpmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have both. I just wanted to be as accurate as possible. Also upon further review the Flugel doesn't go all the way down to the bottem of the stand. So maybe it isn't a great fit. Still seems very secure though.

But to the original poster I would go with the Spyder Trumpet stand, for use with the Flugel, (which I think I am going to do) per Tim's recommendation. He is after all....Da Man!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a Spyder (that Dillon does have tho it's not on their site - around $25) suggest you get one for trumpet. It works fine with flugal plus you won't chance trying to put your trumpet on the flugal peg, which has too big of a bumper for a trumpet and then mess up your bell.

Zachary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the feedback -- I'll order a Spyder stand and post back once I've some oberservations, good or bad. Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

--Zachary
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you should do with the Spyder maybe every other month or so is put a few drops of slide lube on the threads. That will help keep them from getting stuck when you open & close the stand.

I use either SpaceFiler or Hetman's - both work perfectly. Just a drop or 2 then close it to spread on the threads.

Another thing (and a lot of guys do this then bitch about the stand) is they tighten it way too tight when they open or close it & then it's stuck like that until you can get a vice grip on it.

Finger tight/snug is all it needs to be stable.

Thumper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this for sitting or standing?
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice on not overtightening the Spyders. It's easy to do when you first get them, because the threads work counterclockwise. I have both trumpet and flugel Spyders, they are very stable and pack up small and light. These stands put your horns just above ground level, so work best for sitting. I use mine for standing anyway.
jawsdundun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K&M are the best out there, try get the 5 leg stand and make sure no-one steps on the legs when they're stomping passed your stuff in the pit!!!!!!!!
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side question here.............what is your impression of the Dillon Flugel? I have been considering the rose brass bell version myself. How is the build quality, intonation, etc?

PM me if you don't want to go there in this thread.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
what is your impression of the Dillon Flugel? I have been considering the rose brass bell version myself. How is the build quality, intonation, etc?

I have stated before on several threads and have no reservations on this in a public forum.

First, forget how inexpensive the horn is.

It plays GREAT! Terrific intonation, beautiful sound, great response, solid slotting but still leaves room to move.

Construction is wonderful. I've played maybe 7 or 8 of them now, each one a beautiful horn with great slide & valve action. The guys at Dillon personally inspect each of these horns and of they aren't happy they'll send 'em back.

I would have no reservations playing one in any of the performance / recording / rehearsal work that I do.

OK...NOW factor in the price.

You won't be disappointed.

Zachary

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to raise a dead topic, just wanted to let folks know that the Dillon flugel plays well (especially considering the $525 price tag) and the Spyder stand Tim recommended works well with it.

I'm surprised I ordered the horn 2/21 and it just came in today (good thing I'm a patient guy I guess ) -- otherwise, Dillon's service was great.

--Zachary
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Years ago when I was using all K&M stands I'd swap the legs between my trumpet & flugal stands - the longer legs made the trumpet stand much more balanced & the shorter legs on the flugal worked just fine.

Wow. This is a great idea. I never thought of that. Thanks!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: