• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mic-a-mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tp2038

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Mic-a-mute Reply with quote

When do you use mic-a-mute? I have it. But I do not know when I use it.
poprishchin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever you want!

i like to use mine for the opening of the persichetti parable.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tape a mick element inside a Renuzit mute and pull the wires through a small hole at the end. It is like a poor mans silent brass system kind of!
ExtraLargeBore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The american brass quintet uses the H&B mica mute a lot! I have never seen them use a "normal" cup mute in recitals, always the mica mute.
wilcox96
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever the music calls for cup mute. Best cup mute, in my opinion. Very similar to the older Ray Robinson cup mutes. Great.
OldTnTptBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilcox96 wrote:
whenever the music calls for cup mute. Best cup mute, in my opinion. Very similar to the older Ray Robinson cup mutes. Great.

I had a Humes and Berg Standard Cup Mute for years and years, using it both in symphony and concert band. Then about six years ago, I bought a H&B Mic-A-Mute to try out. I had thought that it might be usable at times. But as you say, now I use the mic-a-mute and rarely use the standard cup mute.

The interesting thing is that few people even notice that it is NOT a standard cup mute. But I particularly like the sound it gets. It can be made to be quite a bit louder than a standard cup mute.
tptplayer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
I just tape a mick element inside a Renuzit mute and pull the wires through a small hole at the end. It is like a poor mans silent brass system kind of!

DOH !!!!!!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... interesting. I'd never even given a thought to a mic-a-mute. Contrast it with the standard H&B and any other cup you know.

I've got a Wick adjustable and a few H&B standards that I use. One I use for a more muffled sound as I have some cotton wedged in bottom of the "cup" (not the inside of the mute) and it works pretty well. The other doesn't fit as tight but projects well. The Wick seems to be able to do both pretty well (as it's adjustable) but it's a little less muffle-y.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Mic-a-mute Reply with quote

I much prefer the mic-a-mute to the standard H & B cup.
Better projection and a more even sound.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Roel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very old topic!

I also have and use the mic-a-mute, sounds much better than the normal cup.
www.presidentsofantarctica.com
www.aachen-bigband.de
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get one cheap from the UK importer (Korg) who were selling stuff off on Ebay. It has been really good. I rarely use my old H&B cup mute now.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Mic-A-Mute for all my cup work, pretty much. But I took the rubber ring off. Sounds better than the Ray Robinson, in my opinion, for most big band stuff. I say this having owned and used a broad variety of cups, including the Ray Robinson.

The Ray Robinson is sort of the gold standard for big band cup mutes...trouble is, they're almost always north of $100, even in mediocre condition. It's a relatively dark sounding mute, which is great, except for when the rest of the section is on Stonelined or aluminum cup mutes, in which case the Ray will not cut through all that brightness. So, unless the whole section is playing Rays (unlikely), it's not worth the trouble or expense of acquiring one.

By taking the rubber ring off the Mic-A-Mute, you get a very nice balance between the brittle-sounding (IMO) Stonelined and the often too-dark (flat?) Ray Robinson. It's a very consistent, even-playing mute, sounds great in all registers. And, it's like $30? No brainer.

johnlakejazz.com
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the theory was behind the mic-a-mute? Why did they make it? What was the objective? What purpose was it supposed to serve that was different than the purpose of their regular cup mute? How did they intend it to be different from their regular cup mute? What are the facts (not the speculations)?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, this is the mute that says MICA-MUTE on the mute’s label, right?

I thought it had something to do with mic rophones.

While googling around I see there are also mic-a-mutes.

Mic-a-mute

Link to the mute labeled Mica-mute

Last edited by LittleRusty on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: My Theory: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Does anyone know what the theory was behind the mic-a-mute? Why did they make it? What was the objective? What purpose was it supposed to serve that was different than the purpose of their regular cup mute? How did they intend it to be different from their regular cup mute? What are the facts (not the speculations)?

My theory, is, H&B was inspired by the competition of the time to make a cup mute with a closed softer or rounder sound than their own standard unlined cup mute. I don't really know how they hit on the name "Mic-A-Mute". My theory is supported by the observation over the years that H&B will introduce their own takes or variants on popular mute designs. For example, within the last fifteen years they introduced their own adjustable metal cup mute (à la Denis Wick), a bubble harmon (à la Jo-Ral), and a compact metal practice mute (à la every other top mute manufacturer). The Mic-A-Mute originally was a lined cup mute à la Ray Robinson. Please note that I'm not saying it was as good as a Ray Robinson cup mute or an exact substitute for it, just that its original design was clearly influenced by the famous Ray Robinson cup mute. It was only later that H&B added the thick black lining to its cup rim.

Edit/Addition: I belatedly realized that you were looking for actual facts not speculation of any sort, so you can ignore my attempt to deduce its origins. I tried some google-fu to look find any history of the mute but I could not find any. I'll add anything that is factual or verifiable as soon as I can find it. Peace.

Last edited by Didymus on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Same Thing Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Just to be clear, this is the mute that says MICA-MUTE on the mute’s label, right?

I though it had something to do with mic rophones.

Mic-a-mute

Link to Mica-mute

I'm pretty sure Mic-A-Mute is the name H&B has for that mute. Mica-Mute is a common misspelling of that name. I'm not sure if H&B marketed the mute specifically for playing close to a microphone. Maybe somebody with more knowledge about its history can fill us in on the origins of its name. I pointed out above that the Mic-A-Mute went through design changes over the years, and it's my theory that it originally was H&B's "Stonelined" knock-off of the Ray Robinson cup mute.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Thing Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Mic-a-mute

Link to Mica-mute

I'm pretty sure Mic-A-Mute is the name H&B has for that mute. Mica-Mute is a common misspelling of that name. I'm not sure if H&B marketed the mute specifically for playing close to the microphone. Maybe somebody with a more knowledge about its history can fill us in on the origins of its name. I pointed out above that the Mic-A-Mute went through several design changes over the years, and it's my theory that it originally was H&B's "Stonelined" knock-off of the Ray Robinson cup mute.

If it is a common misspelling then H&B probably started it by labeling their mutes with that spelling. Check out the link I provided which shows a vintage H&B mute with MICA-MUTE on the label.

You will note that the link is to a Trombone mute, but there are other pictures you can find of trumpet mutes similarly labeled.

I suspect that the reason for the name is that the mineral Mica is used to coat the lining.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Thing Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Didymus wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Mic-a-mute

Link to Mica-mute

I'm pretty sure Mic-A-Mute is the name H&B has for that mute. Mica-Mute is a common misspelling of that name. I'm not sure if H&B marketed the mute specifically for playing close to the microphone. Maybe somebody with a more knowledge about its history can fill us in on the origins of its name. I pointed out above that the Mic-A-Mute went through several design changes over the years, and it's my theory that it originally was H&B's "Stonelined" knock-off of the Ray Robinson cup mute.

If it is a common misspelling then H&B probably started it by labeling their mutes with that spelling. Check out the link I provided which shows a vintage H&B mute with MICA-MUTE on the label.

You will note that the link is to a Trombone mute, but there are other pictures you can find of trumpet mutes similarly labeled.

I suspect that the reason for the name is that the mineral Mica is used to coat the lining.

Haha! I assumed the link was to the page with the picture of the mute.

Mica.... Mic-A..... they look like the exact same mute. Flocked cup, rubber lining on the rim.

I certainly learned something today. LOL.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
I certainly learned something today. LOL.

I had never run across either spelling before this thread so I too have learned a lot. In fact my original post in this thread was an attempt to link my first find of a "Mica" mute to the conversation, but before I posted I discovered that H&B appears to have used both spellings.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Thing Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:

I'm pretty sure Mic-A-Mute is the name H&B has for that mute. Mica-Mute is a common misspelling of that name. I'm not sure if H&B marketed the mute specifically for playing close to a microphone. Maybe somebody with more knowledge about its history can fill us in on the origins of its name. I pointed out above that the Mic-A-Mute went through design changes over the years, and it's my theory that it originally was H&B's "Stonelined" knock-off of the Ray Robinson cup mute.

I've seen old Ray Robinson cups that have the name "Guy B. Humes" on the original labels, and per Humes & Berg's history, Humes joined Willie Berg and formed Humes & Berg in the 1930s.

Could it be that Humes left whatever company he worked for and started Humes & Berg, taking the design with him?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: