• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the best method for increasing one's range?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet1256

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Method for Increasing Ones Range Reply with quote

First, get a good teacher! Now that you do that, focus on the foundation first. In order to get the double C you have to be solid on everything below it. My teacher has taught me to practice only up to high D. The octave above that can be found by development of compression and proper toungue levels. Don't worry so much of instantly playing a double C. Most charts aren't written there! Why not focus on acheiving a solid high G? A little more development can lead to the double C. Yes its not too far away. As your airstream develops, it can become a little easier where you know the slotting up there.

Jon A.

Jupiter 1600I XO
Marcinkiewicz Ingram
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.25
Yamaha Shew Jazz
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpet1256

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Method for increasing ones Range? Reply with quote

The whole idea of posting on the TH is to gain knowledge and insite on what has worked for the individual. We take ideas and put it all together to what works for us. It's frustraiting to read when someone posts a negative direction on what did'nt work for many students of a great teacher. I did'nt study with Claude Gordon but I have studied with 2 of his successful students! David Evans and Rhys Henson. David Evans taught more to me more than any director or educator. I'm very thankful to learn the basis of Claude Gordon. It's been a joy when it's time to play and I have had more fun making music.

Jon A.

Jupiter 1600I XO
Marcinkiewicz Ingram #30 drill
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.25
Marcinkiewicz 9C 80's
Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-5-1 wrote:
garrett901 wrote:
Quote:
The biggest mistake most young players make, is thinking playing high notes makes one a lead player. While a lead player does need range and endurance,it takes a lot more than just those things.

100% agree !!! I play lead, quite often its by playing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th parts!

Lead, sort for Leader, it's not part dependent.

Yes it is. The first player (if were talking about a big band) is the lead player. If the whole section is playing together, and you're trying to lead from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th chair, that's just rude.

I agree with 2 5 1 and if I'm in the section, I'm following the lead (1st part) If someone else in the section thinks they are leading, I'm not sure who they think will be following. I doubt the bones or saxes are going to listen back to anyone but the lead trumpet for style etc. IMO, that is ignorant egotistic attitude to pass off the lead part and still assume you are leading the band or even the section
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:

Quote:
I agree with 2 5 1 and if I'm in the section, I'm following the lead (1st part) If someone else in the section thinks they are leading, I'm not sure who they think will be following. I doubt the bones or saxes are going to listen back to anyone but the lead trumpet for style etc. IMO, that is ignorant egotistic attitude to pass off the lead part and still assume you are leading the band or even the section

First off, you don't know me from Adam!!! I GUARANTEE you the 20 Sopranos I LEAD in MY section don't think I'm ignorant or have an egotistical attitude... How flippen dare you insinuate something like that. you Sir, have no idea what kind of leader I am. I've lead troops into harms way, in a foreign land so you can have the right to spew you insults. I know EXACTLY how to be a leader. If you choose to not understand my point, thats fine, just say so, or even if you disagree with the point, just say so. but to insult me in that matter is totally uncalled for...

Perhaps some of the folks I have lead in a section may chime in if they see this... I wonder what there opinion would be.
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I was conductor/performer in a small SATB vocal ensemble, and was able to learn to lead through singing the tenor part; that worked pretty well.

From this I conclude that it's entirely possible to lead from an inner voice if you're the acknowledged leader. If one tries to do this when not the acknowledged leader, that person is (IMO) being rude.
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has marched for the last 10 years, I'm a little wary of one soprano player trying to "lead the way" when you have 19 other sopranos trying to blend and make one uniform sound. That's the essence of drum corps: sounding like a complete section and one voice. It does make sense to have some players that the rest can work to emulate as far as ability is concerned, because strong players always make weaker players rise to the occasion, just by being there. But if you've got some cowboy who decides to stick out because he feels like being a hero, it's just ugly...especially if it's in a lower part.

That said, playing lead in a big band is entirely different. The lead players are the ones to whom the band differs for time and feel. This is why they play lead. Not for the high notes, but because they can swing (in theory). Because of this responsibility, the lead player SHOULD be heard at all times, within the context of the given dynamic.
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you choose to not understand my point, thats fine, just say so, or even if you disagree with the point, just say so

If you are talking about drum corps, you would be correct to say I do not understand your point, since I have not marched corps. I don't know corps and I don't know you. My point was relative to big band playing, hence my reference to bones & saxes. I can understand, as Drew explains, being an exemplary player within a section.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The lead players are the ones to whom the band differs for time and feel.

Man, I hope not - that's gonna sound ugly . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Quote:
The lead players are the ones to whom the band differs for time and feel.

Man, I hope not - that's gonna sound ugly . . .

I think he meant "defer". But I'm sure you knew that..
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Wrote:

Quote:
I'm a little wary of one soprano player trying to "lead the way" when you have 19 other sopranos trying to blend and make one uniform sound.

Drew Buddy... The Cadets didn't have Section Leaders????

I do realize that in these long threads that get off topic. it's easy to miss some points. I'll be brief:

Drum and Bugle Corps is my only gig.

No one "sticks out" or is a "loan wolf" in my section.

I decide the musical direction of my section, who plays what part, the expressions etc... The directer checks the the ensemble and trumps my input unless, I am the music arranger, then I trump all.

I have been a member of a jazz band, and even in that band (I was not the section leader) The section leader "Lead" the section although he played the lead part for the most part. I choose to play every part.
Yamaha YTR-739T
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped break up a fight in a bar last night.

One guy was wearing a Cubs jersey and the other one had a White Sox shirt on so, naturally, I figured the dispute was about baseball.

Nope, it was about the role of the lead trumpet player. Who knew that was such a touchy issue?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking about drum corps??

Never played in one, so I'll bow out of this conversation.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I as well. I'll differ to the experts . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, no need to bow out of the discussion!!!

I find it interesting how there is a suggestion or thought that the Leader of a section (any section) cant play anything other than the 1st part. If I'm playing the 4th part, even though I'm leading the section, does not mean that I'm trying to set the tone, drive the band by being overbearing playing that part. I still blend in the section. The leadership is during practice sessions or during sectional practice. Putting the parts together, ensuring we all interpret the overall musicality of the piece the same. making sure the dynamics are played together and in a harmonious manner. Only the person playing the 1st part can do that???
Yamaha YTR-739T
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the issue here is actually the usage of the word "leader". Yes, we had/have section leaders at The Cadets. But they don't rehearse the section, the brass staff does that.

In a drum corps, you have section leaders. It's not their job to rehearse the section, nor is it their job to decide how the music is to be played. Instead, they are simply accountable for the rehearsal etiquette and behavior of their section.

In a big band setting, the lead player DOES set the time and feel.
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops.... My bad. I should be more clear. Yes, back in the Junior Drum Corps days it was exactly as Drew states for the most part. The only exception is that in our Corps, we only had two instructors on staff. As section leader, I ran the rehearsals (sectionals) of the Sopranos. But I did not establish the interpretation of the music, that was done by the caption head/musical arranger. I ensured it was applied to the section.

Today, in our Sienor drum Corps (Alumni), we do it as I stated. That's a big difference...
Yamaha YTR-739T
Briansback

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: My two cents Reply with quote

I set the horn down for 25 years, picked it up last fall and decided since I have so much free time, I'm determined to get my chops back to where they were before, and more so since I dropped it for guitar, which I do some insane stuff with. I just started composing new music via. what I know on the guitar, and translate it over the the trumpet, and it's let's say, going to be pushing this horn into areas it never dreamed of before. lol.

Day one, from the beginning, boy, I was barely making out any clear notes, just a few toots on the lower registers, and I could maby get up to a C at best in range, and that wore me out. I did soft tone exercises, as in blowing 1/2 air and 1/2 tone through the horn, for the first couple of months, just to be able to play the notes on the staff. I filled in the gaps with some simple songs, stuff that didn't push me past my range, but was enough to keep me entertained while I focused on my tone. I found out early on, the tone was always there, be it, I couldn't keep it as long, but the old ways I was doing it back in the day, very sweet sounding, I could do, be it for limited intervals.

Next on this one, partially chromatic scale slurs, arpeggios, which got me into being able to do the high G's well, be it, if I dwell in them too long, I'm going to wear out too soon. Also, by now, I play a few pieces of music that just get's me into the upper registers enough to give me a good work out, and this is where I divide my old strategy with mainstream. And now, why I'm able to play a double C, and even squeaked out something higher. This is from someone that used to play those back when I had real teeth, and now I have the added bonus and fun of playing with full dentures....And they don't even fit snugly to boot, lol.

Back in the day, my best friend, who was given the best horn, best private tutoring, and played along side of me for years, was always in competition with. It was good, it pushed me hard and I enjoyed being able to catch up and surpass him, with this lowly junk horn and no interest from parents to bother with a tutor. Boys have a competitive spirit, and it's not about how much money you got, it's about how much heart you have.

He was using the formal systems, I dabbled with them, but I also researched and implemented weight training into the process, and playing trumpet is working out just like you are lifting weights. Some times you work this set of muscles, and other times, others, and you always give each set at least one day of rest in between. I've been doing that one big time, and this is why progress has been so fast.

You spend one day, in this range building aspects, arpeggios, merely trying to hit your highest note, and keep playing it, staying in the upper register as much as possible, winding down in the between and lower ones, you are totally worn out in very short order. Do a few sets of those in that day, and rest for at least a day.

Second set of muscles, day three, you must have the break between day one and day two, it's mandatory, unless you can't help yourself, and if you must, stick with the lower registers. You are focusing upon endurance, and you do not go over High G, Even high E, is acceptable, but you are mainly in the mid C, to lower C section's. Do 3-5 sets of 20 minutes each, just like a typical weight training program. Lip slurs, if you want to make it just a mere work out, and keep in mind guys, this program is for those of us that know how to finger all of the notes and have sheet music down pat....

Final day, before you go back to stage one, practice your sheet music, and test the results, this is given you have given yourself a day of rest from the prior. Take note if you are still struggling, pick some "realistic" sheet music, not the stuff you were doing when you were at the top of your class, and throw in at least one piece that's pushing your range to it's limit. I have one I use now that's a work out unto itself, but not sure if I can post links here, for it's the first post I've made here. For me, for now, it's my limit, back in the day, absolutely not, and it's the combo of the endurance I'm building up and the range that takes it's toll.

I've talked to other horn players, and they all tell me it takes them many years to get back to where they were, I'll be back in full by the end of the year easily, and then some. The music never stopped, only a switching of instruments, the dream I let die though, is coming back to life. I was at the college/semi pro level when I set that horn down, I'm kicking myself for not making a career out of it, I very much could have, so now playing a game of catch up, but only my chops, the tone and what's upstairs is still perfectly in tact, so it's not at all like starting over from scratch..
Briansback

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
2-5-1 wrote:
garrett901 wrote:
Quote:
The biggest mistake most young players make, is thinking playing high notes makes one a lead player. While a lead player does need range and endurance,it takes a lot more than just those things.

100% agree !!! I play lead, quite often its by playing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th parts!

Lead, sort for Leader, it's not part dependent.

Yes it is. The first player (if were talking about a big band) is the lead player. If the whole section is playing together, and you're trying to lead from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th chair, that's just rude.

I think it's relative to the aspect, of lead as being the player with the endurance and range as being the most competitive and top player, but more so, soul and tone. I've competed with many in the school contest areas, their trumpet sections were loud, and they had the range, but they all lacked soul and dynamics were poor. We beat them every time.

There should not be as much of a clearly defined spot, where the lead seat is the person that's the best out of the bunch, but too often, espcially in hs/gs bands, that becomes the case and the ones that don't have the talent, or lack the interest in putting in time to practice are the ones that remain always in the 2nd and third positions. If the section is truly on the same plane, they will switch out the seats, but if not, it defaults to the player with the most that will retain that lead seat. In no way, do they actually lead the band, that's the instructors job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: