• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 631 vs 635 vs 6310Z

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which horn???
59%
 59%  [ 36 ]
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
6310Z
27%
 27%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 61

deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Yamaha 631 vs 635 vs 6310Z Reply with quote

Hey there!

Yet another Yamaha flugelhorn thread.

Which one do you prefer and why? I am playing on a 631 red brass flugelhorn from the 90s. A very good horn. Like it very much. I also had a 635 some time ago and also tested a 6310Z but I do not like the sound that much. It is too bright for my taste. What do you guys say?

Thanks and all the best from Austria,
Markus
lpennel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: 631 Reply with quote

I can not figure out how to vote in this poll, however, my horn is a very early 631 in gold plate. It has a Bob Reeves valve alignment. I have also played the 731 in silver plate and it actually played with a nicer, warmer sound than my 631. I like both horns better than the 6310Z, however, it is also a nice horn.

I was at North American Brass Band Association finals this last weekend and the Yamaha rep had the new model flugel. I did not make it back to his exhibit and give the horn a try. I will end up regretting that!

Larry
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Yamaha 610 Flugelhorn
Xeno 8335RGS
1951 Olds Studio Model
Yamaha E flat Cornet

RockyMountainbrassworks.com
lpennel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: I voted Reply with quote

OK, I just figured out how to vote!

Larry
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Yamaha 610 Flugelhorn
Xeno 8335RGS
1951 Olds Studio Model
Yamaha E flat Cornet

RockyMountainbrassworks.com
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned the 631G and the 6310z (a couple of those in fact). For me, the 631G is the best blend of fluffy and warm with a bit more open blow compared to the Shew. The 6310z is a phenominal french style horn but for me the blow didn't translate well for doubling. I can't wait to try the new ones. Maybe my 631G will find it's way to the marketplace
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old 631 and love the horn. I prefer it to the shew flugel.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my ears the 6310z sounds a bit more trumpet-like when compared to the other two. I prefer the 631 but currently own the 731.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
RNJTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 631G is a joy to play. Excellent tone/playability...jazz ballads sound wonderful with a Curry 5FL.

Very easy doubling to and from my trumpet.
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the 631 red brass version. In a few years it will be high on the 'classic'/'vintage' wanted list. I get the silkiest/airy/white noise type timbre using a Curry 3FL.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenoValet wrote:
I get the silkiest/airy/white noise type timbre using a Curry 3FL.

I could help you with that.

Love my 631 by the way. I've had it since around 1977. Wore through the original silver plate years ago, and got a 1st valve trigger installed and gold plating in 2004.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Love my 631 by the way. I've had it since around 1977. Wore through the original silver plate years ago, and got a 1st valve trigger installed and gold plating in 2004.

John,

How would you describe the sound of the 631 compared to other Yamaha models (731, 631G, 6310Z)?

Out of all those horns I mentioned, the 631 is the only one I can't get my hands on to test... Right now I have a Kanstul 1525, but I feel like it's too tubby and trombonish in terms of sound. I'm looking for a flugel with a lighter, fluffier sound with lots of warmth.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
gchun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I've owned a 631, 635 and 6310z. I've also played (not owned) a 731 and the student model 2332(?) I haven't tried the 631g.

The ones I kept was the 635 and the 6310z. The 635, which is no longer made) has "the sound" I was looking for in a jazz/commercial setting. I also enjoy the 6310z because it is so easy to play and probably the most in tune for me. It's closest to the Cousnon sound I was looking for. I liked that it was easy to bend notes on these horns. I will switch between the two, depending on the application. I liked the lighter weight of both the 635 and 6310. However, they both seem to dent pretty easy.

The downside of the 6310z is that the threads on the valve caps are very touchy. The feel very easy to cross thread. The horn is easy to overblow. It took a while to figure that out. Also, with the wrong mouthpiece, it can sound too bright. Once I figured it out, it works great.

I owned a 631 from the 1970's. Good sound, but I had pitch problems and the valves used to hang up. It might have been the "yamalloy' problem. The other 631's I tried didn't have that problem. I preferred the "creamier" sound I could get out of the 731. Both the 631/731 are built like tanks. They really take a beating. It's really hard to go wrong with these horns.

I am very curious how the new Yamaha's play. I've heard the upper register is a bit easier on the new horns. Anyone tried them?

Garry
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun wrote:
The downside of the 6310z is that the threads on the valve caps are very touchy. The feel very easy to cross thread. The horn is easy to overblow. It took a while to figure that out. Also, with the wrong mouthpiece, it can sound too bright. Once I figured it out, it works great.

Garry,

What mouthpiece(s) would you recommend for the 6310Z?

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
gchun

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V-

I'm mainly using a Reeves 43f. Sometimes I use the deeper ones like the 43HF and 43DF. It's the easiest doubling mpc for me since I use a Reeves 43 rim for Bb trumpet.

I have an old 40 rim Tottle flugel mpc that really gets that Cousenon sound, but the rim isn't a great fit for me. Rim's a bit too small diameter to make a comfortable doubling piece.

Garry
quince_at_dannys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a 635T in silverplate for a really good price, and I love it! It's similar to the 6310, with excellent intonation and responsiveness; but unlike the Shew you can still get a good sound out of it if you give it a little more gas.
Yamaha 635T flugelhorn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

John,

How would you describe the sound of the 631 compared to other Yamaha models (731, 631G, 6310Z)?

Out of all those horns I mentioned, the 631 is the only one I can't get my hands on to test... Right now I have a Kanstul 1525, but I feel like it's too tubby and trombonish in terms of sound. I'm looking for a flugel with a lighter, fluffier sound with lots of warmth.

Sorry this took me so long to reply to! Missed it somehow...

I can't really answer because I've never taken part in direct comparisons. I would say off the top of my head that the 631 and 731 would sound fairly similar.

As I wrote before, I am and I've always been totally happy with my 631. It's only shortcoming was the lack of a trigger, and when I got it gold-plated, that was rectified by a trigger installation.

Best wishes,

John
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6310Z/8310Z with a Yamaha Shew Fl piece or Marcinkiewicz BS Fl piece. But I can't wait to try the newer 8315G model Flugel. WB, Randy Brecker and a few others play it.
ppaauull0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quince_at_dannys wrote:
I just picked up a 635T in silverplate for a really good price, and I love it! It's similar to the 6310, with excellent intonation and responsiveness; but unlike the Shew you can still get a good sound out of it if you give it a little more gas.

The 635T gets very few mentions during this thread compared to the 631, 731 etc. Is this because there are fewer of them about?
gchun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppaauull0 wrote:
quince_at_dannys wrote:

The 635T gets very few mentions during this thread compared to the 631, 731 etc. Is this because there are fewer of them about?

Makes sense to me. Seemed like the 631/731 have been around a long time (with Chase using them), even with the introduction of the 635. It seems that the 631/731 had a longer product life cycle than the 635. As the 631/731 are very good horns, there was really no reason to discontinue them. My guess (and only a guess) was the the 635 was discontinued as to not compete with the Shew flugels.

Garry
AlfaFreak
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
For more info on the horns you are discussing, check out my thread here. Full list of model specs, brochures and database of serials. Hope it helps. Feel free to submit your own serial to the database.

Cheers
YamahaCollector
AlfaFreak
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to my above post I should add what I prefer.

I own and play a YFH-6310Z, valves aligned by Reeves when new. I was after a good Cousenon but couldn't get one. I went through 1 Cousenon and 1 F.Besson (Cousenon made) to find one but they just were not as good as others I had played. I must add here that I prefer the smaller "petite" but clear and focused sound of these French Flugels. I don't strive for a big fluffy and woolly sound so often described of the Kanstul etc Flugels. This is a beautiful playing horn and I wouldn't part with it. That being said... I have played numerous other Flugels for extended periods over the years. A B&H Sovereign was nice but the stand out was a YFH-731. It was a very early American made one that had also been sorted by Reeves. I'd add one of those to my collection if funds permitted 2 Flugels. I definately prefer the 731 over the 631.

I play all styles and ensembles with the same horn and mouthpiece, a Reeves of unknown size. It was a custom made piece from his early days and was given to me by a former teacher.

Never played a YFH-635

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: