• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 631 vs 635 vs 6310Z

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which horn???
59%
 59%  [ 36 ]
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
6310Z
27%
 27%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 61

silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 631 vs 635 vs 6310Z Reply with quote

trumpetfun wrote:
Hey there!

Yet another Yamaha flugelhorn thread.

Which one do you prefer and why? I am playing on a 631 red brass flugelhorn from the 90s. A very good horn. Like it very much. I also had a 635 some time ago and also tested a 6310Z but I do not like the sound that much. It is too bright for my taste. What do you guys say?

Thanks and all the best from Austria,
Markus

I have the same horn from the same era. I've never found a need for anything else as far as flugelhorns go. Great looks and flugel sound! The 631 red brass flugel is a classic.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
... Right now I have a Kanstul 1525, but I feel like it's too tubby and trombonish in terms of sound. I'm looking for a flugel with a lighter, fluffier sound with lots of warmth.

Adam:

Make an appointment with Charles at Kanstul and give the 1025 a try. It might be just what you're looking for.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
AlfaFreak
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: How do I vote?

Also, what is the best way to post an mp3 to this forum? I have a recording of Australian Trumpeter James Morrison performing the Bobby Shew chart "One In A Million" on MY YFH-6310Z with a highschool Big Band i used to be involved with. Recorded in Tokyo in 2005.

Cheers
YamahaCollector
jlocke13844@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Love my 635 Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am a newbie to the world of pro-quality flugelhorns, and recently purchased a mid-90s model 635T, which (I believe, but am open to correction) is the predecessor to the 6310Z. From what I read, the 635T was only in production for a short time.

Tonight at practice, I picked up a friend's Shew. His 6310Z looks identical to mine. Next week I will put them side by side.

Jon
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Love my 631 by the way. I've had it since around 1977. Wore through the original silver plate years ago, and got a 1st valve trigger installed and gold plating in 2004.

John,

How would you describe the sound of the 631 compared to other Yamaha models (731, 631G, 6310Z)?

Out of all those horns I mentioned, the 631 is the only one I can't get my hands on to test... Right now I have a Kanstul 1525, but I feel like it's too tubby and trombonish in terms of sound. I'm looking for a flugel with a lighter, fluffier sound with lots of warmth.

Adam,

What mouthpiece do you use? I find with my 1525 to get that light fluffy sound I play slightly smaller gear than you'd normally consider. I use a Marc Shew piece and it's not at all trombone-y. To me the 1525 continues the French lineage of actual flugelhorn, similarly the Shew flugelhorns in this thread also do.

Good luck, and definitely try some mouthpieces before throwing out the baby with the bath water so to speak. The only horn that impressed me more was a nice old Couesnon. Shame Phil Parkers in London didn't reply to my email enquiring about the serial no etc... they probably would have sold it if they had. Oh well, it was over priced. I'll find another!

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Adam V wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Love my 631 by the way. I've had it since around 1977. Wore through the original silver plate years ago, and got a 1st valve trigger installed and gold plating in 2004.

John,

How would you describe the sound of the 631 compared to other Yamaha models (731, 631G, 6310Z)?

Out of all those horns I mentioned, the 631 is the only one I can't get my hands on to test... Right now I have a Kanstul 1525, but I feel like it's too tubby and trombonish in terms of sound. I'm looking for a flugel with a lighter, fluffier sound with lots of warmth.

Adam,

What mouthpiece do you use? I find with my 1525 to get that light fluffy sound I play slightly smaller gear than you'd normally consider. I use a Marc Shew piece and it's not at all trombone-y. To me the 1525 continues the French lineage of actual flugelhorn, similarly the Shew flugelhorns in this thread also do.

Good luck, and definitely try some mouthpieces before throwing out the baby with the bath water so to speak. The only horn that impressed me more was a nice old Couesnon. Shame Phil Parkers in London didn't reply to my email enquiring about the serial no etc... they probably would have sold it if they had. Oh well, it was over priced. I'll find another!

Mike

Chances are Adam might not reply - he last posted on TH in 2014 (and in this thread, in 2010 - close to seven years ago).
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
bach_again wrote:
Adam V wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

John,

Adam,

Mike

Chances are Adam might not reply - he last posted on TH in 2014 (and in this thread, in 2010 - close to seven years ago).

Ah - I thought Adam hadn't posted in a long time!! It seems jlocke13844@gmail.com awoke this old thread with related questions. I guess this is one of the peculiarities with message boards!

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
MandyChaps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Love my 635 Reply with quote

jlocke13844@gmail.com wrote:
Hi all,
I am a newbie to the world of pro-quality flugelhorns, and recently purchased a mid-90s model 635T, which (I believe, but am open to correction) is the predecessor to the 6310Z. From what I read, the 635T was only in production for a short time.

Tonight at practice, I picked up a friend's Shew. His 6310Z looks identical to mine. Next week I will put them side by side.

Jon

I'm also a newbie to the "world of pro-quality flugelhorns" as you call it. Just purchased a used 635T. When I tested it out it sounded lovely and played just fine. It's in for a sonic bath now before I really get a chance to dig into it. I'd love to hear how it worked out.

Amanda
Yamaha Flugel 635ST
GR mouthpieces
MiddleStaff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my mid 90’s 631GS.
Mouthpiece I like is a Marcinkiewicz 7FLB. It feels similar to my Shilke 14A4 as it’s a bit shallow for a flugelhorn mouthpiece.
1972 Bach Strad model 180 with #37 bell
Yamaha YFH-631GS Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: