• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumptaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: beginner Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to playing trumpet and can play some what but I have trouble going parcel to parcel (ie C to G) (sorry if I jipped that word)
any tips please? and also any tips in general, I would appreciate all
Thanks!
FRobertson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to welcome you to trumpetherald.com and congratulate you on our good choice of trumpet!
About slurring partials, try just to blow though the note. if that doesn't make sense, try going little step at a time. Slur from C-D repeatedly, then C-Eb, then C-F, then C-F#. Once you reach this point, it is almost slurring the C-G. For me, I do exactly what I do when going from C to F#, except I don't put down second valve. This keeps the horn the same length (instead of lengthening it for the F#) and the G should come out nicely!

I hope this helped at all
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!

Here's my general advice to any new trumpet player. 1st., take your time and be patient. Many new players have a tendency to want to learn everything as fast as possible. Keep in mind, that if it was easy, everyone would be doing it and it wouldn't be special.

I would say that playing long tones at moderate volume for as long as you can keep air flowing in one breath, would be a great starting exercise. Take a deep breath and play C and hold it for as long as you can. Then take a deep breath and then play D and hold it and so on all the way up to G. You keep listening to your tone and make small adjustments as needed to get closer to the tone you desire. It will take time, but in the long run, playing long tones (for me anyway), are one of the best exercises and warm-ups.

Long tones will build your endurance and breath control. Continue to exhale as you play long tones and continue exhaling even if the note goes away. Taking deep breaths is important.

Also, get in the habit of resting during practice sessions. One big mistake I made in my first few months of playing is that I wouldn't rest and just kept playing until my chop wre shot. This is not good.

Remember, don't over do it and practice every day - or as often as you can.

Best of luck!!

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
trumptaz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Also what supplies do I need? I know valve oil and grease...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: