• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Larry Ford

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Larry Ford Reply with quote

According to the UNT jazz website, Larry Ford is no longer with us. Anyone know when and how?
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan, just now seeing this thread, sorry.

I was a friend of Larry's but lost touch about 1983. I was later told he died of a heart attack. It was third hand, so can't vouch for the accuracy. He did pass, though. He was a super player and a nice guy.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Larry passed in 1987...maybe 88. It was around the time when I left the USAF band at March AFB, CA. Larry either was or recently had been the trumpet professor at the University of Redlands (CA).

Although I did not get to meet or hear him play live, I've heard nothing but terrific things about him. For a while he was Julie Andrews' personal Lead Trumpet.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he was teaching trumpet in Redlands when I last saw him in '83 or '84.

Before that, he played lead for Woody Herman, Stan Kenton, and he also played with Bob Florence and, I think with Toshiko's band also. In the service, he played with the NORAD band and the Air Force band in Japan.

That, with lead playing at North Texas he made a really versatile player. Sad to have seen him go.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little known fact about Larry most people dont know. He was the 1st trumpet player ever at NTS to make lead 1st semester his freshman year in the 1 o’clock band. Hadn’t been done to that point and those who have heard their recordings or live know what a feat that is. Best sight reader I ever saw and I cant say I heard him miss notes but I’m sure he did. I knew him from a regional band in WV - Mel Gillespie. He was a bit older but my hero. I heard him play at an outdoor concert at Coney Island in Cincinnati in late 60’s and hold a dbl. c over the band for 20 or so measures at the end of a hi solo. I lost track also in the 80’s but I was told by some locals he did some Frank Zappa stuff as well (impossible music) and all kinds of studio recordings. Last time I saw him play was with Les Brown. He was the best trumpet player I ever knew.
Rod
andremford13

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folk, I'm Larry's oldest son Andre. Every once in a while my son (Andre Jr) does some digging into my dad's musical past and he found this thread. I'm not sure how many of you still follow this site or not, but I created an account so I could answer your question about how my father died. He passed away on 10/26/1993 in Palmdale CA. He had gone through many surgeries, but none of them were sufficient to keep him with us. In the end, it was probably for the best that it was sudden and seemingly pain free for him. All of his children are alive and well (I'm the only one in CA) and he'd need 2 hands to count his grand kids if he were still around.

Just figured I'd give you the straight dope so that there was no confusion. Best wishes,

-Andre Ford Sr.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks, Andre. What a coincidence. I was just talking about Larry yesterday with a sax player that he played with in a soul band '69, '70. I was in a "rival" soul band at the same time, but we played together in the same Air Force band. If you don't mind, could you share what he died from?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat May 09, 2020 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andre,
I am taking some lessons from Bobby Shew and he knew your dad quite well, playing with him on studio stuff and with Woody in the 60’s. He might be a great guy for your son to talk with. Your dad was a hell of a trumpet player and was very encouraging to me and it meant a lot at the time🎺
Rod in WV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: