• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silver (re)plating

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Silver (re)plating Reply with quote

Hello all.

I'd like to have my trumpet replated. Its silver plating is now 95%.

I know this question was asked a million times probably, but what's done to the remaining plating? Do they brush it off? Any risks for the trumpet?
Thanx
KPaultpt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just had my Bb trumpet replated. I've owned that Bb for 11 years got me into my undergrad and grad schools. It was a Bach 37 ML Bb standard. I loved that horn and it was playing great just my hands had eaten all the silver away. So I decided to go get it acid cleaned and asked terry pierce a repair guy in NYC if it was doing ok and if I should get it replated how much etc. He said yeah your horn is fine no holes its in good shape.

Long story short I went to a guy named Chuck Mcalexander to get it replated. He was incredably arrogant and belligerent with me. However he was the only one in Manhattan that did replating so I get it back after 2 days A bunch of holes originated, the plating job sucked there were still scratches and he didn't buffer two spots. Not to mention he didn't wash out the silver flakes on the inside and I'm still washing them out. I am going to go down there today and having him fix it or ask for my money back. I would get it done where everyone else gets it done. Tom Green and Melk for laqure or Anderson Plating.

I'm looking for a Bb and a place to sell mine IF he fixes it.

Gluck and I would be very careful this guy ruined my trumpet.

--KpaulTPT
Manhattan Schooll of Music '12
Bach Bb 37
Yamaha Chicago C
Yamaha Custom Eb/D
Yamaha Custom Pic
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPaultpt wrote:
Long story short I went to a guy named Chuck Mcalexander to get it replated. He was incredably arrogant and belligerent with me.

Well, not to belabor the obvious (nor to make you feel bad), but unless you are hiring someone to roast you or do a Don Rickles imitation, it is a good idea to pay attention to such cues.

But good luck in getting it repaired, and thanks for the warning and for providing an object lesson for the rest of us.

To answer the OP, original silver plate can just remain and the new plating will go over it. The trumpet will be cleaned before plating and usually the inside is sealed to keep the plating solution out. Plating is not really a coating in the sense that you can't "paint" it on. It is electro-chemically deposited and bonded to the surface (brass OR silver). You could brush it off with a wire brush, but the result would be a million scratches, not a smooth brass surface.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prep work can include work to fill pits and to make the surface smooth so the new plating will also be smooth. When my trumpet was done the tech had to fill many pits from my acidic hands.

You should also have the tech check for red rot. The plating will not adhere as well on any spots where the rot is near the outside surface.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPaultpt wrote:
...bunch of holes originated...the plating job sucked...scratches...didn't buffer two spots...the silver flakes on the inside...

Hmmm, I don't want to make you panic,
but you might want to wait a couple of days before visiting him again.

By reading your complaints, odds are high that he hasn't properly cleaned the instrument prior to the plating either. If that's the case (sloppy de-greasing or leaving acid) then the plating will start to flake off within a couple of days. Time will tell...
Plating by itself is quite easy, but the final result stands or falls with the prep work and cleaning.

MvW.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bonearzt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Silver (re)plating Reply with quote

Mdbri wrote:
Hello all.

I know this question was asked a million times probably, but what's done to the remaining plating? Do they brush it off? Any risks for the trumpet?
Thanx

I'd recommend Kanstul Music in Anaheim CA.

I send ALL my plating work to them and have for the past 20 years or so.
Never had an issue, and they are expedient with their work.

Thanks
Eric

The wise man, when he holds his tongue, says more than the fool when he speaks
If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone must know of a good plating operation in Europe. They've been doing silver plate there for a long time.
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpet was lacquer originally. Then it was silver plated by the previous owner (his "tech", I guess). The job was done rather poorly, it looks as if I'd done it in my kitchen, drunk, sleepy and with lights out

For you who have had a trumpet replated: is the new plating even?

I have an excellent tech, but I wanted to know some things in advance.
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Silver (re)plating Reply with quote

Mdbri wrote:
Hello all.

Thanx

Andy Taylor at Taylor Trumpets in UK is capable
to do a good replating. He has done a really ugly
beaten up cornet for me, and it looks pretty near as new.
You can find his details at www.taylortrumpets.com
(He is not rubbing the plating off, but using some kind
of acidic solutions.)
---------------------------
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it to Kanstul.

I took a Benge to the Kanstul factory a few years ago, which had its original silver (not unlike like yours) about 95% intact - I was looking to have it completely redone.

After looking it over, Zig said, "you can spend $275 having it completely redone or $45 to have it spotted." Would I be able to tell the difference, I asked? - "No" he said.

He was right. When it was done, it looked like a complete refinish.

The estimated time to complete was two weeks. Actual completion time - two days.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Andersons Plating for any plating I need! Sure they are more expensive then many other's and they take for ever 4-6 weeks turn around time but they are the industry standard! Everyone else is compared to them. I should add that not only are the ladies that answer the phone friendly but the guys in back that do the actual plating and buffing and valves will get on the phone and answer questions and they are good with emails too! Really nice bunch of people. If they are good enough to meet NASA and Mil-Spec. that is normally more then good enough for anything I would need plated!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Kanstul.

Excellent work, can do any needed repairs, and some of the quickest turn-around times in the industry. It sure won't be any 4-6 weeks, and they do all the work on-site.

The few extra days in shipping to Anaheim & back are well worth the wait.

Give them a call for details - 888.KANSTUL

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Word or warning about Anderson. They won't plug the valve ports before they plate. The inside of the valve casings will end up getting plated as well. If you have your horn plated through a repairman, he will (probably) re lap the valves, since there will be less clearance due to the silver plate. If you send your horn directly to Anderson (as I did), they don't bother checking the valve fit after plating, which ended up not working well (in my case). For some reason, they refuse to plug the ports. Plating was fine otherwise, but the valves were never the same. I think that I will use another outfit the next time, making sure that they plug all ports (just ask them if they do beforehand), so that no re lapping will be necessary. If you do decide to go with Anderson, I'd have a technician deal with the prep work.
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm from Europe, sending my trumpet to Kanstul, Anderson, etc. is out of question. I have an excellent tech here, but I just wanted to know what to expect in advance.

Thank you for all the replies and comments.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdbri wrote:
Well, since I'm from Europe...

(sorry I'd missed that)...in which case send it to:

-either:
http://www.eclipsetrumpets.com/2009/options/finishes.htm
-or:
http://www.willspencer.org/repairs.html
-or:
http://www.leopold-mueller.de/
probably the best address for lacquer in the world, but they do stunning repairs and silver plate as well
-or:
http://www.oegussa.at/
send it through Schagerl who'll do the prep work

MvW.
Wildman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
A Word or warning about Anderson. They won't plug the valve ports before they plate. The inside of the valve casings will end up getting plated as well. If you have your horn plated through a repairman, he will (probably) re lap the valves, since there will be less clearance due to the silver plate. If you send your horn directly to Anderson (as I did), they don't bother checking the valve fit after plating, which ended up not working well (in my case). For some reason, they refuse to plug the ports. Plating was fine otherwise, but the valves were never the same. I think that I will use another outfit the next time, making sure that they plug all ports (just ask them if they do beforehand), so that no re lapping will be necessary. If you do decide to go with Anderson, I'd have a technician deal with the prep work.

They will plug the ports. You have to make sure that you are clear that you want it done when you make the order. There is an additional charge for plugging the ports.

- Mao Tse Tung -

Yes libs, your hero said that!

OhhHH YeaAAHHH!!!!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a notable pro who's horn was substantially changed for the worse after having it replated by a major shop. My teacher says the biggest risk isn't in the plating process but the prep. Apparantly it's REALLY easy to over-buff the horn and heat up the metal such that it either thins or softens, drastically altering the playing characteristics of the horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from someone who found out the hard way... it takes about 10 SECONDS of extra buffing to get a part way too hot. However... if you're into shiny instruments that don't play well.... I have one to sell!
tikielazteca_2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m looking to get a trumpet of mine plated with Anderson. Anybody ya’ll recommend handle the prep work?
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
Take it from someone who found out the hard way... it takes about 10 SECONDS of extra buffing to get a part way too hot. However... if you're into shiny instruments that don't play well.... I have one to sell!

Brass can be hardened again by working it. If it's a valuable horn you could try to have the bell rolled like if it was dented, that should restore the hardness without scratching the surface. Ask the repairman's opinion anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: