• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good earplugs for trumpet players?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rajesh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Eargasm ear plugs during practice. They do reduce the dB level while not killing all frequencies, but they are uncomfortable in my non-standard ear canals and tedious to wiggle in deep enough. I've started experimenting with just putting on my over-the-ear stereo headphones. This isn't their intended purpose but they do reduce the dB level and they allow most of the frequencies in I want. The cord on mine is removable so that's not a bother and they go on and off quick.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put in another vote for Hearos. Just got them for a gig I knew was gonna be crazy loud, and it is completely true that it's just like you turned the volume down. The crazy part was I could make out lyrics way better, and I could hear the trombone next to me talking over the band.

The only thing I don't like completely is the way I hear my buzz in my head. It was actually kind of nice in a way, because I just worked the mic and tried to play with a good sound. But having no real concept of my bell sound is just unnerving. It will take some adjustment I imagine.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even though this WAS a zombie thread, I’ll add this: do use SOMETHING; many years with many amplified bands, foolishly using no hearing protection, has left me with tinnitus also. It’s manageable, and frankly I forget I have it, but I would prefer that I didn’t.

Brad
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Elacin https://elacin.com/de/
Works great
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not usually one to resurrect an old thread, but this one is clearly an ongoing issue for players.

I have recently had volume and trumpet practice on my mind. No tinnitus and such but I'm preempting things while my hearing is fine. Basically, I love playing trumpet because of the sound of the instrument, and when I played with my custom earplugs which I have for riding my motorbike (brilliant company in the UK called 'Ultimatear') which fit right into the ear canal, and reduce volume by 30 Db.

I absolutely detest the 'inside my head' feedback when playing, as in, hearing my tongue articulations from the inside, and none of the lovely harmonics and timbre of the trumpet that I love.

Has anyone used proper custom earplugs with lower ratings, and if so, is the 'inside the head' feeling still the same? The outfit that make my motorbike earplugs also make an instrumentalist version (https://www.ultimateear.com/product/musicians-plugs/) with inserts to change the volume reduction to 9, 15 or 25Db reduction. But I'm not going to spring for £150 if the basic feeling is still the same as my 30Db 'Aquidgies' as the company calls them.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used proper earplugs like that.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elacin, they also offer different levels of damping and you can exchange the filters yourself. I have 9 and 15 dB, you can also get 25 dB.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear your experience with the 9 and 15 Db filters, and your feelings and experiences with using the earplugs. Do you practice with them or perform with them?

Are there certain times you use the 9 and others, the 15?
Grayman470

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like using dbuds. They lower the decibels and are adjustable depending on how much you want to lower them by.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: