• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet with Orchestra??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Trumpet with Orchestra?? Reply with quote

Well I just found out that the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra conductor wants to do a program titled "The Music of Rafael Mendez" and I'm to be the soloist. I need Trumpet with Orchestra..

I found the Koff Music Publications but don't know which pieces credited to Koff were also played by Mendez {ie. Brahms Czardas (arr. Koff)}
http://mlmusic-online.com/koff_cat.htm

Also is there a published orchestra version of "Tre-Mendez Polka" I'd love to do that with the other trumpeters in the orchestra..

I've looked at other sources such as JW. Pepper and they didn't have any Mendez for Trumpet and Orchestra..

Thanks,
Kevin

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Koff arrangements were all pewrformed and recorded by Mendez. These are the only ones with orchestra that are available, although I publish THEMES FROM DER FLADERMOUS arranged for Mendez, through Hickman Music Editions. It is with band or orchestra (or piano). I have also published two trios with brass and percussion: THE BRAVE MATADOR and GALLITO.

Unfortunately, The Mendez Library no longer rents music.

Dave Hickman
Bill Bridges

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled. With Mendez fading further into memory with each passing year, what would be the logic behind the decision for the Mendez Library to no longer rent orchestrations for public performance? It would seem to me that such public performance would help tp perpetuate his legacy much more than having a bunch of charts locked up in a filing cabinet in Tempe. Apparently there must be some exceptions. Otherwise, how was the Austarlian trumpeter Geoffrey Payne's recording with the Melbourne Symphony possible? I have to think that was a big boost to the memory of Mendez in Australia.
leadtpt1955
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd be more than happy to volunteer time to input the original scores into Sibelius or Finale to produce performance editions that the Mendez Library could send out. No need to lend out originals. There are many of us that do this work and who would willingly donate our services to preserve the Mendez legacy. Many hands (or computers) make light work and with a dedicated team this project would not take forever to do.

Anyone else care to climb aboard with me? Dr. Hickman, what are your thoughts? Any chance of this working?

Adams A4LT Trumpet
Adams Sterling Silver Bell Flugelhorn
Bill Bridges

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I don't have your talents in this regard, but I certainly applaud your willingness to donate your time and be involved in this way. Sounds like an admirable project to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: