• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Black Xeno

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhantomTrumpet96

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Black Xeno Reply with quote

I was thinking about buying a new Xeno and selling my old one and I came across this http://www.musicarts.com/Yamaha-YTR-8335RGB-Black-Lacquer-Series-Bb-Trumpet-H72441-i1837618.mac Will the lacquer change the sound? Should I just get another Silver plated one?
PhantomTrumpet96

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also what finishes have the most...uhh "metallic" Sound?
J_Mase
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try them out, first, to see if you discern a playable difference between plating.

But...as much as I love Yamaha instruments (I play on them myself), don't buy this horn. It looks so damn ridiculous, I'm actually disappointed in Yamaha's decision to manufacture the horn in black lacquer. This makes it look like a POS horns on the wall at the local music store, that don't play worth a hill of beans. Yamaha makes fantastic trumpets, and I find this to be an act of disservice to the company, by the company itself.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, J_Mase, I think those Yamaha 8310z's they made with the black lacquer and gold trim looked mighty awesome. My two cents, of course.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Xeno Reply with quote

PhantomTrumpet96 wrote:
I was thinking about buying a new Xeno and selling my old one and I came across this ...

What's wrong with yours?

As far as black lacquer?

Well, I would think semi-knowledgeable trumpet thieves would leave this one alone since it looks like a one of those cheap miscellaneous-branded WWBW or Ebay horns that have a variety of "color" options. So, it's got that going for it...

For me, if you're going to stray from a brass/silver/gold tone, I'd go with a Miles-like blue or purple or even red tinted lacquer. These solid colors just look cheap and cheesy to me.

But, whatever floats your boat...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhantomTrumpet96

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Xeno Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
PhantomTrumpet96 wrote:
I was thinking about buying a new Xeno and selling my old one and I came across this ...

What's wrong with yours?

well mine is older and even though i keep the slides all nice and lubed up they get really stuck at least once a year. also I like how the first valve slide has a ring on the newer ones (mine has the thumb saddle thingy). My brother is also switching from euphonium to trumpet so i thought id give him mine and buy me a new one.
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Xeno pretending to be a cheap, Chinese, anodized horn.

It looks awful!
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, with the exception of this one model, the only colored horns you see are the el cheapo Chinese junk, mostly on eBay. Hence the negative association.

That's too bad. I personally think that colors would be interesting. I'd like to see red, green, or royal blue Bachs. It's time we got rid of the hoity toity feeling that "real" trumpets only come in silver, lacquer, or sometimes gold. Sometimes, we get like Henry Ford, who was famous for saying (about cars), "They can have any color they want as long as it's black." That was foolish and so is this. Let's have some fun.

-John
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a gig recently with a guy who had a black Yamaha trombone. While I tend to agree that the Yamaha trumpets remind me of an eBay "band director approved" POS, for some reason the trombone looked sorta cool. And he does have a pic of this horn on his business card, which looked really cool, I thought.

He sounded fine, but is a good player, and usually does.

Brad361
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man. if such a reputable company as Yamaha is making horns with black lacquer it MUST be horrible and tacky!!

Get whatever you want. If the horn plays great and you sound good on it then I say go for the black lacquer. that way if you're playing a gig you'll stand out. Knock it out of the park and the MD might even go.. "Let's get that guy with the black trumpet again". Of course the only issue I could foresee with having the black lacquered horn would be auditions for college.. some teachers might not approve of it.

Plus you'd think Yamaha would also make sure their black lacquer won't flake off after a few months like the Ebay ones do.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a black horn like this over a raw brass any day. Talk about tacky.

PT96,

You can tell from the posts that people are polarized on this topic. You might want to consider that if you purchase a trumpet like this you will encounter people you play with and for that will have the same polarized opinion and you will always start out at a disadvantage to them.

For instance, it is possible that when you play in competition the judges might start out biased in a negative direction.

Or not.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Black Xeno Reply with quote

PhantomTrumpet96 wrote:
well mine is older and even though i keep the slides all nice and lubed up they get really stuck at least once a year. also I like how the first valve slide has a ring on the newer ones (mine has the thumb saddle thingy). My brother is also switching from euphonium to trumpet so i thought id give him mine and buy me a new one.

It sounds like you've got all of the excuses, justifications, and solutions covered - enough to convince yourself, that is. ... that being said from one gear junkie to another.

My suggestion is - don't even go there. If your equipment works for you, then stick with it. And that last reason to buy a new horn is based on how it looks.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am keen on the dark solid black myself. They should have accented it better with some non-black trim. IF they had done a nickle plated horn or silver plated with translucent black lacquer then it would have looked much better. Toss in some gold plated parts and it would have been so much better looking.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the slides weren't done in clear lacquer to set things off. Does kind of look menacing, though, all black.

I remember the first time I saw Stan Mark, when he was with Maynard, he was playing a black lacquered horn.

The only real negative with dark finishes like this is once it's scratched, or the lacquer starts to wear, it kind of looks weird and cheap. Other than that, if black lacquer floats your boat and you're not playing a gig where the leader is going to have problems with it, I say go for it.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
PhantomTrumpet96

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Xeno Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
PhantomTrumpet96 wrote:

It sounds like you've got all of the excuses, justifications, and solutions covered - enough to convince yourself, that is. ... that being said from one gear junkie to another.

My suggestion is - don't even go there. If your equipment works for you, then stick with it. And that last reason to buy a new horn is based on how it looks.

Well its not just how it looks. I know how the Xenos Play and thought the looks were just a bonus.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always get a string of battery powered xmas lights now that they're on blowout pricing at the local drug store and string those down the bell to make it look even better.
PhantomTrumpet96

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
You could always get a string of battery powered xmas lights now that they're on blowout pricing at the local drug store and string those down the bell to make it look even better.

WOW I'll be sure to do that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: