• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Section

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Section Reply with quote

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Principal Trumpet Players

Start-End________Name

2005-Current_______Chris Martin
2003-2005_________Mark Ridenour (Acting Principal)
2001-2003_________Craig Morris
1948-2001_________Adolph (Bud) Herseth
1946-1948_________Sydney Baker (Sidney Beckerman)
1942-1946_________Gerald Huffman
1941-1942_________Sydney Baker (Sidney Beckerman)
1939-1941_________Renold O. Schilke
1933-1939_________Elden E. Benge
1912-1933_________Edward B. Llewellyn
1911-1912_________Jacob (Jake) Borodkin / John Hartl
1907-1911_________Otto Schubert
1903-1907_________Paul Handke
1902-1903_________Paul Steffens
1891-1902_________Christian H. Rodenkirchen

Web Site: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Players

This section to be updated when information is available for
the 2012-2013 Season at the CSO website.

Current roster for the 20012-2013 Season:
Chris Martin - Principal Trumpet
Mark Ridenour – Assistant Principal
John Hagstrom
Tage Larsen

Chris Martin....................................Mark Ridenour

John Hagstrom................Tage Larsen

Reference for this information is the December 1983 ITG Journal article entitled "Trumpet Sections of American Symphony Orchestras: The Chicago Symphony Orchestra", by Keith C. Clark.

Return to the Table of Contents
for the Project:
Historical Trumpet Sections of
Major Symphony Orchestras

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 pm; edited 30 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first “break-out” folder from the Historic Trumpet Rosters for Major Symphony Orchestras. This can grow and develop in lots of different ways, but as a starting point, I thought I would suggest some possible ideas about what could be included here.

1) I have found many on-line articles that will be included in each of these folders, mainly from the ITG web site. This will provide a great reference point to read about many of the players that have performed with these outstanding musical organizations.

2) Books and Articles about the symphony that are worth looking into.

3) Significant Recordings. These could be the Top 5 recordings for each different “era” with a particular Principal Trumpet player. Recordings can either be the “best” recording of a particular work, or just an especially “shining” musical version from the trumpet perspective. Remember to include dates for the recording to tie back to the list!

4) Personal stories about the players in the section!

5) Names and dates of the section players.

6) Videos, Laser Disks, and DVDs of Historic Performances.

7) Other ideas……

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online Articles about the Chicago Symphony Trumpet Players:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Sections 1948-Present
by Norman Schweikert and Frank Villella

Saluting Adolph Herseth During His 50th Orchestral Season & A List of Other Outstanding Trumpet Careers
by Norman Schweikert and Keith Clark

Adolph Herseth: In a Class by Himself
by Michael Tunnell

Remembering and Congratulating Bud Herseth on His 50th Season!
Compiled by Michael Tunnell

Vincent Cichowicz: Master Teacher
by Bruce C. Briney

The Cichowicz School: Comments from Earlier Students of Vincent Cichowicz
by Leah J. Schumann

The Long Road to the Chicago Symphony: An Interview with Craig Morris
by Keith Winking

Arnold Jacobs – “Breathe Like a Baby, Play Like an Angel”
by William Scarlett

Adolph Herseth 50th Anniversary Concert
by Michael Tunnell

"Musical and Brass Playing Insights Based on My Experience in the Chicago Symphony"
by John Hagstrom

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books and Articles about the Chicago Symphony and the CSO Brass Players:

1) “Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind” by Brian Fredericksen
http://www.windsongpress.com

This is an absolute MUST READ for all brass players! The photos of the many different CSO brass sections included throughout the book is in itself worth making this purchase.

2) “Season with Solti: A Year in the Life of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra” by William Barry Furlong

3) Smithsonian Magazine (September 1994): “For all who crave a horn that thrills, this Bud’s for you” by Jim Doherty
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Significant Recordings of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

Fritz Reiner Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade (Recorded February 8, 1960)
Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale (Recorded November 3, 1956)

The soft lyrical trumpet solo in Chant du Rosignol (Nightingale) in the track called the Emperor’s sickroom is some of the most amazing pp playing. This is a favorite recording of mine for both pieces!

This is worth adding here. Manny Laureano brought to our attention a very interesting detail to this recording that would be missed if you're not listening EXTREMEMLY carefully:

Quote:

On 2004-05-26 10:22, MannyLaureano wrote:
dear friends,

Playing Scheherazade last week reminded me of a discovery I made a few years ago that I think you will all get a kick out of (out of which you shall get a kick?).

Go find the Reiner CSO recording of Scheherazade and go to the 4th movement. There's the opening lick the strings and a few woodwinds play, a GP, then an echo, another GP, and the chord that introduces the violin solo.

Got that?

Okay. A moment before the chord that introduces the violin solo there is a hushed voice that whispers...

..."Bravo!"

Who the heck was that?!

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-07-29 12:00 ]</font>

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Tue May 10, 2005 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Symphony Orchestra Video / DVD Recordings:

Three recordings to mention here:

Number 1

As a Dad with three little boys, I have to list Fantasia as a favorite DVD with the Chicago Symphony. Seeing the joy that they experience with this music (I especially like it when they all enthusiastically say “BOOM” when we are singing the ending of the Firebird every time they hear the bass drum), this one tops my list.

Fantasia 2000

Beethoven, Symphony #5
Respighi, Pines of Rome
Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue
Shostakovich, Piano Concerto # 2 Allegro Opus 102
Saint-Saens, Carnival of the Animals, Finale
Dukas, The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Elgar, Pomp and Circumstance
Stravinsky, Firebird Suite

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, with James Levine conducting performs all of these pieces. I believe it was a 10-year project and released in 1999, so this would have been Mr. Herseth as Principal trumpet. The exception to this is Dukas’ The Sorcerer’s Apprentice which is from the original 1940 Fantasia with The Philadelphia Orchestra and “Mr. Stokowski”. The Principal Trumpet for the Dukas would have been Saul Caston.

Number 2

Pictures at an Exhibition (the Laser Disk / VHS version) with Solti and the Chicago Symphony (1992). There are many reasons that I really enjoy this recording, but the most prominent is the musical insights that Solti discusses while sitting at the piano. He compares and contrasts the Mussorgsky piano version to the Ravel orchestration in such a way that really draws me in (not so much as a trumpet player, but as a general listener).

The disc is Solti in rehearsal with the CSO, then at the piano by himself, alternating in this way for each distinct "picture". After the rehearsal there is a complete performance of the piece (trumpet section is Herseth, Vosburgh, Scarlett, and Kent). His descriptions give so much more depth to the music as he is, in essence, sharing his overall understanding of the piece.

This recording has been out of print for a while but it is definitely worth finding. You can see the details at Amazon.com.

I seem to remember a story about (I believe Solti) telling Mr. Herseth that he wanted a different approach to the articulations in the opening Promenade. He played it for Mr. Herseth on the piano and told him that was the specific articulation quality that he was looking for. Every time I hear Mr. Herseth play the Promenade there is a certain intangible quality that sets it apart from others. I'm certain this is one of the reasons why. I'm sure there are MANY more.

EDIT: I found the quote!

From a 2002 Master Class in Hawaii with Mr. Herseth as told by Mark Minasian
Quote:

He told a story of one time Georg Solti asking him to come over to a grand piano. Solti played the original version of the promenade on the piano and asked Bud to listen to the sound of the piano. Listen to the sound of the hammers striking the strings and the decay of the vibrating strings. "That's how I want the promenade to sound" said Solti. I heard Herseth play the promenade several times over the past few days and he does it with an articulation that is hard to describe. Not really an accent, not an sfz or fp, but every note "pops" out of the horn in a fashion similar to the sound of a piano being played.

Hearing stories like this helps me to understand some of the very subtle qualities that set the standard for interpretations of the orchestral literature.

Based on the quality of the picture and sound as well as the interpretation of the music (not to mention the commentary and close ups of the different sections of the orchestra), this recording is a must to add to your library!

Number 3

Mahler Symphony No. 5, Daniel Barenboim and the Chicago Symphony (2000)

What a marvelous DVD! Getting to hear and see this orchestra in action is a true pleasure. The section is Mr. Herseth, Will Scarlett, Mark Ridenour, and John Hagstrom. This should definitely be in everyone’s library. One of my favorite DVDs!

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-06-09 12:42 ]
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to take time out here and thank Derek for all his effort in the compiling of the trumpet sections of various orchestras.
If it were possible to give him a fanfare, I think we'd would all join in.
Thanks, Derek!!!

Some awesome Reiner/CSO recordings:
The Fairy's Kiss
The Strauss Waltzes now issued under one CD called "Vienna"
The Richard Strauss compilation CD set.
Aw, heck. All of them are special.
The outstanding Frank Martin Concerto for 7 Wind Instruments under Martinon is now on CD, too. Such great music by a great orchestra.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,

I have some info on Bud (my tribute page):

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/herseth/

Under it, there is a list of the players during Bud's 53 years:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/herseth/CSOTrumpet.html

The person who first helped me make this list was Tom Crown in Chicago (he studied with Ren. Schilke). Then later Arnold Jacobs' assistant, Brian Frederiksen allowed me to use info from his great book Song & Wind.

Ole

P.S.
I have the Mahler DVD - great both to watch and listen to!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole,

Thanks for participating in this project! I was hoping that you would get involved! The tribute page to Mr. Herseth is fantastic and the chart from Song and Wind showing all of the players to have been in the CSO trumpet section for the last 50+ years is something that I wouldn’t have gotten to for quite some time.

Seeing this folder come to the top of the list, it reminds me that if someone new to the Trumpet Herald didn’t know about the scope of this project, they might think there we have only researched the history of one Major Symphony trumpet section. To address this, I’ve added a link at the bottom of the first post in each of our final folders to go back to the Table of Contents folder.

Thanks again,
King1500
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Herseth 50th anniversary concert is avaliable on cd or dvd?

Craig
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King1500,

I’m not sure if there is a recording available for the Herseth 50th Anniversary concert, I didn’t see one at the CSO Store web site. Along similar lines, but after the 50th Anniversary concert (2001 I believe), I found some fantastic photos at Jay Fiedman’s web site of the Brass Buddies Concert with CSO brass section members. I’d also be interested if this concert will ever be released on disk.

FYI. In the two photos at the bottom of the Brass Buddies Concert page, the players are (if someone can identify the unknown trombone player that would be great):

2nd Photo from the Bottom (Starting in the Trumpet Section and moving through the Trombone Section)
Benjamin Wright
Mark Ridenour
John Hagstrom
Adolph Herseth
Jay Friedman
Jim Gilbertson
Michael Mulcahy
Charles Vernon

Photo at the Bottom (Left to Right)
Dale Clevenger
Benjamin Wright
John Hagstrom
Adolph Herseth
Mark Ridenour
Jay Friedman
Jim Gilbertson
Michael Mulcahy

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-08-10 14:34 ]
blumine

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringo Starr .... I mean Jim Gilbertson.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blumine,

Thanks for the input! I have updated the lists above.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing the CSO web site and found this marvelous resource to look up every musician that has ever been a part of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Open this link which will take you to the former CSO musicians page. Click on the drop down menu for instrument and select trumpet. Click on search for musicians and voi la! You will have every trumpet player that has graced the stage at Orchestra Hall / Symphony Center!

In the future I will go through this list and provide a listing of all players with the CSO trumpet section. It’s amazing to have a resource like this on-line! Very cool!

Enjoy.
Coltssop01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is quite fascinating...but it also has some rather odd omissions considering it claims to be a complete listing of all CSO musicians. For instance here in the trumpet section:

Hebs, William Trumpet 1915 - 1921

Holz, Frank Trumpet / Bass Trumpet / Violin 1926 - 1950

Ooops...looks like we're missing someone important!
pitchlevel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think since bud is still on the program as principal emeritus hes not on the former musicians page, as the current section are also not yet listed on that page. although neither ben wright nor craig morris are on that page either.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek - I was reading the preface to Ed Tarr's edition of the Haydn (Universal) and he says Handke was principal with Chicago from 1903 to 1912, playing second in 1907-1908. Has he just got that wrong?

Cheers,

Jack.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

From the CSO web site, they show Paul Handke as Principal Trumpet from 1903 - 1907 and his total Years at the CSO are from 1903 - 1912. I'm basing this list on the ITG Article that was referenced in the first post which matches exactly with the CSO web site link that is provided in the above post from September 30.

Hope this helps!
KJaeger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Derek, let me add my thanks to you for putting together all of these reference lists - I have found myself going back to the recordings in my collection and checking the dates against these threads to see who was playing!

Though the information has been posted in other places on TH, I thought it might be helpful to add this excellent DVD in this thread:

Musik Trienniale Koln 2000 - Berg Lulu Suite / Debussy Le Jet D'Eau / Stravinsky Firebird / Boulez, Chicago Symphony Orchestra (2000)

This concert is from Koln in 2000 and so I believe would have the same roster as Barenboim's Mahler 5 referenced above. Certainly Mr. Herseth and the section sound exceptional in the complete Firebird, one of my favorite pieces of music! Definitely a DVD to "crank up" with a nice surround system...

Schilke B7
1935 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore
Bach 37 (rebuilt by Charlie Melk) w/ MTV-525 leadpipe
Kanstul 1510-A C trumpet
Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

This is another one of the DVDs that I have in my library and really enjoy! The section for this recording is actually Mr. Herseth, John Hagstrom, Mark Ridenour, and Benny Nguyen (my instructor). This was when the CSO was in the process of selecting a new 4th trumpet player. At the end of the piece with the soprano soloist, you can see Benny in the background while she is acknowledging the audience (just to the left of her head by the timpani).

I’m glad you’re enjoying the project. I am too!

Take care,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: