• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Detroit Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Detroit Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Section Reply with quote

Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Principal Trumpet Players

Start-End______Name

1982-Current_______Ramon Parcells
1975-1982_________Donald Green
1966-1975_________Frank Kaderabek
1944-1966_________James Tamburini
Collapse of Detroit Symphony 1949 – 1951
1943-1944_________Leonard Henkle
Collapse of Detroit Symphony 1942 – 1943
1937-1942_________Leonard B. Smith
1936-1937_________Albert Mancini
1935-1936_________Howard Fenimore
1933-1935_________Albert Mancini
1928-1933_________Elden Benge
1926-1928_________Otto Kurt Schmeisser
1923-1926_________Solomon Lubin
1922-1923_________Ewald Dietzel
1921-1922_________Samuel Miller
1920-1921_________Gustav Heim
1918-1920_________Solomon Lubin
1914-1918_________Earl N. Van Amburgh

Web Site: Detroit Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Players

Current roster for the 2009-2010 Season:
Ramon Parcells – Principal Trumpet
Kevin Good
Stephen Anderson
William Lucas

Ramon Parcells.................Kevin Good........................Stephen Anderson............William Lucas

Reference for this information is the October 1976 ITG Journal article entitled "Trumpet Sections of American Symphony Orchestras: The Detroit Symphony Orchestra", by J. Jerome Amend.

Return to the Table of Contents
for the Project:
Historical Trumpet Sections of
Major Symphony Orchestras

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 am; edited 10 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online Articles about or by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Section:

The Orchestra Audition
by William G. Lucas

A Tribute to Frank Kaderabek: 42 Years of Great Music Making
by John Raschella (December 1996 ITG Journal)

James Tamburini
Saluting Adolph Herseth During His 50th Orchestral Season & A List of Other Outstanding Trumpet Careers
by Norman Schweikert and Keith Clark

Elden Benge
Jim Donaldson's Tribute Page to Elden Benge

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Stories:

In the summer of 1992 I had a very memorable trumpet lesson with Ramon Parcells. This was when Ramon was the Principal Trumpet with the Santa Fe Opera Orchestra in the summers. My family has gone to hear the operas in Santa Fe ever since I was a little boy and I was always amazed at how “perfect” everything was when attending the SFO. From the orchestra and the vocalists, to the sets and staging and choreography, it is always just perfect!

At the time of this lesson, I had been out of school for three years and had been studying the orchestral literature seriously for about two years. I mentioned to my instructor that I would be taking my yearly trip to Santa Fe with my family and asked him how I might go about setting up a lesson with Ramon Parcells (I knew his name from the programs that I had saved from pervious seasons). He had contact information for him in Detroit, and I decided to take the plunge and give him a call out of the blue.

When I reached him on the phone, I explained to him that I had heard him in Santa Fe for many years and that I had just recently begun seriously pursuing the orchestral literature in my weekly lessons. He told me that he didn’t usually give lesson during the summer months, but given my enthusiasm and my choice of lesson material, he agreed that he would get together with me.

My whole family dropped me off at his beautiful home just outside of Santa Fe (in I believe El Dorado, New Mexico). He greeted me at the door and introduced me to his wife, and then we went into living room for the lesson. I remember how open and bright his house was and the fantastic views that we had.

The lure that had enticed him to accept giving me a lesson was my preparation of the 2nd trumpet part to Mahler 2. We warmed up briefly, and then he had some questions for me about what he heard when I was playing. He very quickly highlighted the weakest aspect of my playing at the time (lip flexibilities), and gave me some suggestions to target improvement. We also had a chance to talk, and he told me about having an accident as a boy when he was playing baseball. Apparently he got hit in the mouth with the ball and has had dental issues ever since. He told me about a recording session with the Detroit Symphony where he had to get some emergency dental work between sessions (a multiple day session) and returned the next day to record the rest of the session! Ouch! I can’t even imagine.

Then we got into Mahler 2. It was just amazing. I had worked on the 2nd trumpet part for months with my instructor, and I knew that I played it well. It was so much fun to hear a slightly different interpretation of the 1st part up close. The time that we spent on the chorale in the 4th movement (Ulrich) was right on the heels of my experience of trying to figure out the intonation challenges of the 2nd trumpet part, and we discussed this in detail. When we got to Der Grosse Appell (The Great Call) I nailed the second trumpet part and felt really good about my preparation. We ended up doing the entire symphony and going well over the planned hour.

Ramon came out and said hello to my family, and my Grandad really got a kick out of meeting a player from the orchestra. He told him that he was especially looking forward to the opera that evening, and Ramon said that it would be an absolute treat for all of us!

A treat indeed! We saw Die Fledermaus later that evening after a great meal at La Plazuela at the La Fonda Hotel. It was (I think) the forth time that I had seen this opera in Santa Fe, and everything was absolutely perfect! At one of the intermissions I walked down to the pit and said hello to Ramon and he introduced me to the other players. This whole day was absolutely magical for me and I think back on it fondly.

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your insight Derek. We are indeed fortunate to have Ramon with the DSO.

Thanks also for you diligent work on the symphonic trumpet sections.

Regards,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Thanks for your message. I hope you will share a story about the DSO!

I found a really great quote from Ramon Parcells about the new Max M. Fisher Music Center in Detroit from October 2003. The article is entitled “The Max dazzles the DSO”.

The article says, “After more than a decade of living out of trailers attached to Orchestra Hall and dreaming of the kind of basic amenities that their peers in orchestras across the country have always enjoyed, the DSO players deserved a we-just-won-the-lottery moment.” “A few minutes before music director Neeme Jarvi was to give the downbeat onstage, principal trumpeter Ramon Parcells surveyed the instrument lockers, where the combination of teak-colored wood and menthol green carpet give the room a sleek modern flavor. He shook his head in disbelief. ‘It almost feels like we're on tour.’”

[ This Message was edited by: derek reaban on 2004-05-21 22:44 ]
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Sections

Season.......Principal...........2nd Trpt......3rd Trpt.................4th Trpt
2009-2010....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2008-2009....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2007-2008....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2006-2007....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2005-2006....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2004-2005....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2003-2004....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2002-2003....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2001-2002....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
2000-2001....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1999-2000....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1998-1999....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1997-1998....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1996-1997....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1995-1996....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1994-1995....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1993-1994....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
1992-1993....Ramon Parcells….Kevin Good….Stephen Anderson….William Lucas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: