• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who's going to the 2012 ITG Conference?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asemaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I'll be there from late Tuesday on. See you then.
Anyone with $$
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be down there Friday for the day with the rest of the trumpeters from the Athens Symphony.

The big news is that we've convinced Al Ligotti (Trumpet Professor Emeritus @ UGA) to ride down with us and join us for the day... Before joining the faculty at UGA , Ligotti was a freelancer in NY and a student of William Vacchiano .. He turned 85 in February and told me " Who knows when ITG will ever be this close again in my lifetime"

See everyone in Columbus, GA,
Kevin

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 1 (or, in this case afternoon):
Having driven in from the Knoxville Tn area, I arrive in Columbus at around 5:00 this afternoon. After checking into the Hampton Inn, I get directions (and an address) to the University campus from the folks at the hotel desk. My intention is to get myself registered and then maybe catch a couple of the evening acts (or at least one). Unfortunately, I discover that there is more than one Columbus State University campus. I drive about 12 miles and arrive at the wrong one (natch). After exploring the wrong campus for a half hour or more I see a gentleman who looks like a professor type. I ask him directions to the School of Music. That's when he tells me I'm on the wrong campus and that the correct one is 7 or 8 miles from where we are. Using his smart phone he helpfully gives me the correct address, which I plug into my gps and I'm off again.

I arrive at the School of Music. After parking I begin looking for a sign of some sort that might say ITG REGISTRATION, or some such. After walking and looking around a bit I stop a gentleman coming out of a building marked the Schwob Music building and I ask him for directions to the registration area. He says the site is about 2 or so blocks from where we are and located at the convention center. I head out on foot to the convention center. It's a huge building (lots and lots of doors). Unfortunately, they're all locked and I see no people about (always a bad sign). There is also no printed signs announcing ITG REGISTRATION, or whatever. Nothing. Honestly, if I didn't know better I would have easily come to the conclusion that there is nothing going on around here at all. What to do? I'm running out of options but haven't quite given up yet. Across the street is the Hilton Inn, the primary hotel for the ITG but not my hotel for this trip. I head for the lobby thinking I might happen happen upon a trumpet player type guy who might know something about the supper secret registration site for ITG. I'm still hoping to make it to at least one of the evening's programs. It's now about 6:30. GOOD NEWS, it's not long before I see a guy with a trumpet case walking across the lobby. I quickly accost him and ask about this alleged venue for ITG registration. BAD NEWS, he says registration closed at 5:30. Bummer! I head back to my car and drive to my hotel at the Hampton Inn. No concert tonight. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Comment: This is perhaps my 12th ITG conference. I've never known the hosts to shut down registration so early. I mean people are arriving form all over and at all hours of the day and evening. Wouldn't one expect registration to go into the evening hours (at least a little - say, 8-9:00 p.m.)? The programs go that long.

Oh well, hopefully things will improve on Day 2.

Larry
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: ITG Registration Address?? Reply with quote

Could some one post the Address for the Registration desk??
I want to Google map to that address instead of to the School of Music address.
I've been told it's about 3 blocks from the actually conference and exhibit hall.

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
I head for the lobby thinking I might happen happen upon a trumpet player type guy who might know something about the supper secret registration site for ITG.

MMMMMMmmmmm....supper secret.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling out for Columbus in a few minutes. Hope we can find the "super secret" places...

Playing 7:30 tonight at the Naval Museum, and 11:00 tomorrow at the ITG. I'll post about our crash and burn on Sunday...
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: ITG 2013 Reply with quote

yamahamom wrote:
ITG 2013 will be held in Grand Rapids not Detroit. Not sure where the Detroit rumor came from.

Guess I am to blame for starting that....Sorry..I had heard Detroit.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, our performance at the ITG on Saturday morning went pretty well. We played a tiring 90 minute concert, so my instrument and mouthpiece test playing at the vendors afterward wasn't too productive, Still, I played a Schilke XA1 cornet that was VERY nice. I got to meet a few forum members after the concert, too.

While we were in Columbus, our band picked up another gig at the National Civil War Naval Museum on Friday night. We played a concert dressed as sailors - lots of fun and a nice museum. Here I am on the deck of the Monitor...

StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beats trying to drive to Australia.

Or from Australia...
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not too many people here went?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem so by the responses to this thread. Here's a pic of our band performing at the ITG on the final day, at Legacy Hall.

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have to ask the obvious question, of how does an ensemble blend with those over the shoulder instruments? I'm sure you're not really in a position to answer that, since you're playing in it. Seems like a challenge!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing 150 year old instruments is the real challenge, especially since they had no strict basis for pitch, and have all sorts of intonation quirks that require alternate fingerings and lipping. We've been playing together on these instruments so many years that blending isn't too much of a problem - we just have to keep in mind the acoustics of wherever we're playing and how much sound reflection from behind we will have. Here are a couple clips from our new CD...

Wide Awake Quickstep
http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/rb1026mqmv/09_wide_awake_qs.wma

Gentle Annie
http://k004.kiwi6.com/hotlink/vw13uoze0p/15_gentle_annie.wma
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
So not too many people here went?

Would have loved to go, but it landed right on top of my daughter's HS graduation. I spoke to more than a few people with the same issue, be it HS or college for some.

As I understand it, the hosting people/organization/whatever pick the dates. It's not clear that they always think it through for getting the best attendance. Internationally good and bad times of year probably vary a lot though, so maybe it's a compromise?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supportlivejazz's sig line says he doesn't give a damn, there will be no compromise I say May is out, June it is, and no I don't care that many graduations take place in June, not to mention weddings!! (Hmmm, if I take the express ferry across Lake Michigan, I'm not even that far away. "Only" $330.00, round trip but it saves me so much gas actual cost is about $120 less)

I need to make early reservations for this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: