• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

electric wah-wah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to get an electric wah-wah mute (a la Miles) setup for some fusion/avante-garde gigs and I was wondering what the best way to achieve that sound would be. What is the best way to have the pickup situated and what type of wah-wah pedal and amp would be ideal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this post or I would have replied earlier.
There are wha-wha pedals where your foot turns the filter (it's just a tone filter sweep) and there are envelope follower pedals which change the filter accprding to how much volume is put through it.
Every foot-wah I've tried sounds lousy for trumpet because the frequency responce is set for guitar. A bass wha might work better. (Miles must have had a filter set up for him to sound the way he did) I've been using an envelope follower, (the Electro-Harmonix Dr. Q) for about twenty years and have never found better. It has been reissued in a new box style. It's as simple as you can get: there is no limiter on it, it's just a filter you kick over by playing louder. Adding a harmony like a lower octave adds energy as well, so the sensitivity has to be set lower.
DOD makes a good env. follower, (and you can mix the filtered and non-filtered sounds) but for some reason it works best on guitar/bass and not so great for trumpet. Randi Brecker used a Mutron III with the 11th House in the 70s, but those can't be found but for high collector prices, and there is too much fancy filtering on it for the dynamics of trumpet.
When recording "electric" trumpet, I use two mics, one into the effects and one dry.
I just use mics, not pickups, because the fidelity of pickups is bad or they sound brittle (piezos) and I use more than 1 horn or other instruments live.
Amplification is well discussed elsewhere here, but the short answer is: anything BUT a guitar amp. They don't have the strength to handle all the frequencies of trumpet. For a monitor I use an Ampeg B100 that has a 15 inch and a tweeter. I can get a very natural sound on that as well as the mating cat sounds...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: