• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clear mouthpieces?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkySmurf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there anywhere to get a new Lexan clear mouthpiece, size 6 that is on the pivot web site (or should I say isn't on there)?

I'm sure its a needle in a haystack looking for a used one...

Rob
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ancient plexiglas 6 mouthpiece that I ain't giving up if you put a gun to my head.

I really don't know what to tell you on this, except to keep asking everybody you know, and everytime you travel, too.

Maybe Paul Garrett has some influence over Dave Sheetz? Maybe Doug Elliot knows something about this? I don't know anything about getting other sizes in Lexan. Sorry.

Rich
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those mad maxx mouthpieces are clear. they do have fins on the side. Actually they might be translucent. it was a thought
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I give;

Why a clear plexiglass mouthpiece?

Clueless in Clarkston,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an invention of Doc Reinhardt's so that he could really see what was happening inside the cup of the mouthpiece. Visualizers and rings, etc., don't really give you a true picture of what goes on in there, as Doc discovered.

They are great tools for determining things like upstream or downstream (there's no mistake when you can see it through a clear mouthpiece), and you can spot detrimental habits like tongue penetration to set the embouchure or tongue penetration to articulate notes.

The transparent plexiglas mouthpiece had only one flaw: they break. Lexan is reputed to be unbreakable, as the ABS mouthpieces are.

Rich
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw clear mouthpieces at NYBC for $20. I almost bought one. Kinda wish I had, now.
Meg
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-11 12:55, Buzz wrote:
I saw clear mouthpieces at NYBC for $20. I almost bought one. Kinda wish I had, now.
Meg

Really? What year . . . this year? Do you remember who was selling them?

Rich
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Klier supposedly makes plexiglass mouthpieces.

http://www.khbrass.com/jkmainpage.htm
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I saw at the brass conference was the mad max pieces. http://www.bestproducts.com/
doesn't look like it on the picture - but I am pretty sure they are clear.
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? What year . . . this year? Do you remember who was selling them?

Rich

It was this year, but I don't remember who was selling them. I think there was an online list of presenters and vendors. I'm pretty sure I saw that. Maybe it's still there. Put NYBC in a search engine... and well... you probably don't need me telling you what to do, too!
See ya!
Meg
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 10:43 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-11 21:03, walter wrote:
The Lexan mouthpieces weren't clear; they were either white or yellowish-white. Doc also experimented with silver-plate and maybe gold-plate, but the plating wore off quickly.

The Lexans went through 2 generations when I studied with Doc. The first had a solid head, and the 2nd was hollow at the head, around the shank. Doc thought that they responded better.

The clear mouthpieces were only designed for embouchure analysis, because, as was said, they broke. The also scratched really easily.

Doc's brass mouthpieces [unplated] and the Lexan mouthpieces were designed as working mouthpieces ... not the clear plastic mouthpieces.

walter
wsharshon@hotmail.com

Hey, Walter!

I think you've got ABS mixed up with Lexan. The original unbreakable plastic mouthpieces Doc was able to produce (in the whitish/ivory color) was made from ABS. In Doc's lifetime, I don't believe he ever saw production of the Lexan mouthpieces (clear and unbreakable), although Dave Sheetz can probably verify this. Doc always wanted clear mouthpieces, but the injection molding technology of the day wouldn't make them unbreakable, so they were "stuck" with the opaque ABS mouthpieces. Another factor was "feel" and they had to find a material that felt good to the chops.

Now, back in '81-'82 I was working with Dave on marketing the ABS mouthpieces and met with Doc and the guy from Margate who had originally financed the whole venture (I'll think of his name here soon -- Jim McCloskey, that's it). I learned a whole lot during those days, and actually was the one who did the research and wrote the brochures that Dave used back in the early 80's.

One thing I learned was that the reason they had to hollow out the "head" of those mouthpieces was that it was taking too long to cool and the shank of the mouthpiece was sorta floating and drifting away from being perfectly straight before they cooled down. So they hollowed out the "head" and had much better success with that, although occasionally the mouthpieces would still drift away from "true" during the cooling process. Doc didn't want to hollow them out because he knew that they looked kinda funny that way.

I know that the injection molding process is very controlled and you can achieve extremely faithful duplication of the original mouthpiece. That whole cooling off process, however, was a monkey wrench in the works that was not foreseen at all. Making those molds was also extremely expensive, and McCloskey backed Doc on that in the '50's and '60's but wasn't eager to help out in the '80's, and I don't really blame him.

Those mouthpieces never caught on. I felt bad for Doc, because they were never the way he envisioned them. Once they were made unbreakable, they were opague. Then the head had to be hollowed out, and they looked even stranger. Brass players are peculiar about their equipment. They'll play a trumpet with no plating and no lacquer that looks like total hell, but they won't use a "funny looking mouthpiece" . . . I got very discouraged by brass players' reactions to those mouthpieces, and finally in '88 I succumbed to peer pressure (I was living in NYC at the time) and went back to a standard metal mouthpiece.

Oh, well.

Rich

828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-11 23:07 ]
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 10:44 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going on with all of Walter's posts? I'm looking through and it looks like he went through and deleted them all. What a drag! Does anybody know what's up with Walter?

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: