• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Middle register laxity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would Doc say about that middle register laxity that seems to happen to me a lot when playing like a 3rd part....I feel like my chops are spreading...and endurance really suffers... The evil 4th space E seems to be the root cause of it...LOL... Thanx, Bobby List, Baltimore
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-17 20:08, BobList wrote:
What would Doc say about that middle register laxity that seems to happen to me a lot when playing like a 3rd part....I feel like my chops are spreading...and endurance really suffers... The evil 4th space E seems to be the root cause of it...LOL... Thanx, Bobby List, Baltimore

Do you know Don Junker? He's a die-hard Reinhardt advocate in the D.C. area, and he told me once to play every note as though I'm going to turn the page and see high G's. Dave Sheetz told me pretty much the same thing; play those lower parts just loud enough for your chops to respond, but not so loud that you spread open your chops. That way you haven't blown out your aperture, and your range and endurance stand a fighting chance.

I really hate it when the solo feature is in the 5th trumpet and the rest of the gig I'm supposed to play 2nd or lead. I wish all solo features were written in the 2nd part so that we wouldn't have to make such a drastic jump in the middle of a gig. To me that's one of the trickiest things to pull off.

Rich
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...I know Don...great player....I talked with him not too long ago about rim design...I have almost the exact same bottom teeth configuration he has....so I made a piece with a rim like his...beveled, flat, and high on the outside..Scotty Holbert re-made one for me, and so far, so good...
I'll try to concentrate on your suggestion....It just seems that the middle register wears me OUT!!....My sound projects, rather than surrounds....that will make me overblow in the middle reg.....
Should I also follow the advice of "setting for the high register" when playing lower?...That helps (albeit too late ) a little when I can remember it.
Thanks for the response.... BTW, any particular routines in either the Pivot manual or The Encyclopedia for this?...I have both, but they are packed away at the moment..moving houses....Thaanks, Bobby List, Baltimore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: