• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Restoring my baby shoes.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Restoring my baby shoes. Reply with quote

My grandfather (my father's father) loved Harry James. So, his first son was going to learn to play the trumpet as soon as he was big enough to hold one. On my father's 12th birthday (1966) he received a Getzen 300 trumpet. 12 year olds quickly become 14 year olds and that being a time of less trumpet and more guitar on the radio most young men were far more interested in Jimi Hendrix than Harry James. So into its case that Getzen 300 went. Being the son of a musician, and having no desire to play guitar, I always had a fascination with the trumpet that was in that case. When I was 7 years old I started in the school band program on that getzen 300 trumpet and began my journey to becoming the musician I am today.

The next chapter in our story is when I hit the age of 15 and decided to do this.

This is ofcourse a recent picture of the instrument. I took the above picture immediately before stripping the black finish. A black trumpet. What in the world was I thinking. So began the labor of love.

What takes one application on a normal lacquer finish took SIX on this black beauty.

In the above picture I have stripped the disgustingness off of the horn. I think a few things that the overhaul company did are kind of ....interesting. First the front brace has been moved. There were no popped solders or anything weird before the horn was sent, but for some reason they moved some braces around. Im assuming they moved that brace so far forward becasue they found it fit better there. Solder was kind of globbed into the joints. Being as I was only 15 years old and had none of the trumpet knowledge I have now I didnt notice any of this flaws and loved everything about this instrument when I got it back.... I guess my 15 year old self and my 30 year old self just wouldnt agree on a thing like that.

With the lacquer gone I took off the bell and mouthpipe and began straightening both. If you look at the full pictorial linked at the bottom of this post you will see both were very much bent and had their fair share of dents.

The point of this project was to breathe new life into this instrument. Putting a pretty new finish on it was really just part of the process. The valves were very loose on this horn, so I decided to have them refit. I recall the last time I had played this instrument thinking there was something wrong with it. At the time I had just thought my newer pro horn was just better, but now I know that a lot of its hinderance had to do with the loose valves. Im sure the thick black paint on it didnt help too much either.

After countless hours of work I returned my "baby shoes" to what it was the day it was built. Everything on the horn is 100% original with exception of the added thumb hook... which is a getzen

Plays better than ever and now my dad wont be embarrased to play it in public

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/bbirshop/the%20black%20trumpet/
Click the above link for a full pictorial.

DQ

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
trumpetup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful project and great story! You should have titled your thread "Converting My Baby Shew" When it was black it looked like one of those Yami Anniversary Shews.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring my baby shoes. Reply with quote

KansasTrumpet wrote:
The next chapter in our story is when I hit the age of 15 and decided to do this.... A black trumpet. What in the world was I thinking.

Every 15 year old dude has dumb thoughts like this. I'm sure most want a trumpet that is some funky color. It is in a 15 year old's very nature. Don't feel bad.

Nice job restoring it to it's pre-teenage glory!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring my baby shoes. Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Every 15 year old dude has dumb thoughts like this. I'm sure most want a trumpet that is some funky color. It is in a 15 year old's very nature. Don't feel bad.

Thanks...

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring my baby shoes. Reply with quote

KansasTrumpet wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

Thanks...

The glory of a 43 year old Getzen 300? Sentimental value definitely. It looks nice also.

I thought that my son had the only black Getzen out there. Maybe he does now? His is a 700.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen guys a lot older than 15 do the black lacquer thing. Actually, your job was quite tastefully done what with the crooks, caps and the receiver being left left brass. Usually it's all or nothing! Six coats man!!! You weren't fooling around were you? Must have been some fun getting it off.

Nice restoration. Did you do the new lacquer? Are you set up to do that?

My "baby shoes" lives on in several other horns all over North America. Tromnipotent!

Steve
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine!

KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansonsf wrote:
I've seen guys a lot older than 15 do the black lacquer thing. Actually, your job was quite tastefully done what with the crooks, caps and the receiver being left left brass. Usually it's all or nothing! Six coats man!!! You weren't fooling around were you? Must have been some fun getting it off.

Nice restoration. Did you do the new lacquer? Are you set up to do that?

My "baby shoes" lives on in several other horns all over North America. Tromnipotent!

Steve

Yes Steve. I did all of the work in house with exception of the valve refit. I don't have the tooling to do that stuff yet.

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. This project was very close to the heart.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I would have done a flame job on my Bach Mercedes if I thought I could have gotten away with it! LOL
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Someone down at Conn-Selmer must have seen your horn back when!

Whoa Black Connie!!! Wham ba lam ba lam!!!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansonsf wrote:
Hey! Someone down at Conn-Selmer must have seen your horn back when!

Whoa Black Connie!!! Wham ba lam ba lam!!!

There are a lot of vintage Conns I would hate to see that done to, fortunately that particular model could only be improved......
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: