• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best practice away from the horn.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to practice for the better part of the last two weeks. To try and compensate, I combined a regimen of light mouthpiece buzzing, some free-buzzing and solfege/sightsinging out fo the Pares Scales book, sometimes with the help of a tuner.

Today I noticed that while my endurance was fairly wrecked by the neglect, I had little trouble getting back into the "groove", so to speak, of just knowing where the proper pitches "lay" on the horn.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of mouthpiece buzzing, as it always seems to have engendered bad habits and inefficient "thinking" when I go back to the trumpet. I'm still pretty bad when it comes to sightsinging, but I'm completely self-taught in that area.

I apologize if my terminology seems unorthodox or unclear.....
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. If you are unable to keep the chops in shape, it helps a lot to keep the ear in shape. Listening to lots of your favorite music is good, too, as does buzzing along to tunes you know well.

JU
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting problem with the mouthpiece buzzing thing. You might try using a BERP or just hold the end of the mouthpiece between the thumb and forefinger and use your other fingers to cup around the end creating a little sound chamber. Either way, you're looking to simulate the same resistance as with the horn. Like anything else, if you play the mouthpiece somehow differently than you play the trumpet it will likey hurt rather than help your playing. Of course nothing takes the place of playing the instrument.

Sounds like you successful in keeping your chops "familiarized" enough to feel comfortable playing again. If the sound is good with clear attacks, you have only the endurance to work back up. Good job!
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a Joral shortcut is better to use than free buzzing, and it doesn't require you to have the horn with you.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I may start looking into buzzing aids (Shortcut, BERP) if the funds allow.... books come first, of course, then lessons. I also kept working on the Gordon breathing exercises while off the trumpet. I think that helped a bit too. Once again, thanks.
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard for me to warm-up in the morning hours prior to going to work and later in the evening after my day is over. But I usually do a lot of lip buzzing ... buzzing whatever I am working on for that week. Some exercises out of IRONS, or the Clarke stuff, or the concerto I am working on. As long as I have a starting pitch ... off we go. No mouthpiece required.

Some folks have issues with lip buzzing. For some reason it came naturally to me. Friends hate it - 'cause I'll start buzzing a song on the radio instead of singing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: