• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any range drills?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazzTrumpet19

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any good range exercises? I read the post by B6L with the Clarke study, but I could barely play it in one breath at a fast tempo, let alone an amazingly slow one!! Anyway, I would really like to improve the clarity and sound of my upper register notes. Right now, I can play a high Bb (one leger + space) on a Bach 5C mouthpiece. The note has good sound most of the time and comes with relative ease. However, anything much higher than that barely squeaks out. So I don't play higher than that often for that reason. Back to the topic, does anyone have any range drills that they had some success with? I'm hoping someone can direct me to a drill (or book/method) to develop my upper register. If you do have a good exercise, how do you do it? I would really like to increase my range for jazz ensemble. I understand range takes time, but I want to do something that definetly will yeild results eventually. Anything would be appriciated!! Thanks!!

[ This Message was edited by: JazzTrumpet19 on 2003-07-29 20:11 ]
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play what ever you got in front of you but just up a 5th or 8va. That and take a big breath.

TopGun
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out these articles that i collected about this topic:
http://trjeam.tripod.com/book/articles/range.html

As far as exercises I would do exactly what topgun suggested because then you learn to play the notes not just hit them.

Also lip slurs and lip flexibilities exercises... The Collin's lip flexibilities is a great book if you want a nice collection of drills.

I also do arpeggios, chromatics, and Clarke's technical studies.

http://trjeam.tripod.com
Trumpet Resource Site

trjeam@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2003-07-29 20:43 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto to above.... add Iron's book and maybe some Caruso studies?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Ollie's routine (ping George Graham -- he's on TH now and then)

Frank Minear's book (do a search on TH -- I don't have contact info on tap)

HTH - Don
OzTrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so already, then check out the Carmine Caruso Forum. Improved upper register is just one of the benefits of these exercises. The 'Getting Started' thread is a good place to start:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=299&forum=20&53

And stick with the Clark studies. They're great for learning to control your airflow.
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started to do octave rips (glissando, or slur, but you catch all the notes in a position on the way up) as a part of my daily routine, it's working very well for, seems to get my air and chops to line up well. Besides that, slurs, slurs, and slurs, and long tones long tones long tones, and practice in general...

ChopsMcgraw
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Ollie's routine (ping George Graham -- he's on TH now and then)

George and Arnie's range exercise, from George Graham and Arnie Chycoski. They developed this while on the road with Si Zentner's band. Best single range exercise ever written.
SchilkeB5user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a low F# and go chromatically up to a G top of staff fairly quick and hold for about 1 second. Then go up a-half-step to a G# and hold as long as you can (this should be done in 1 breath). Do this exercise 10-20 times over and over and increase the drill by a Half-Step a day and see if you notice a improvement.

This range drill has helped me ALOT and it might help you. It eliminates that double embouchuer which I had that un-enabled (if thats a word ) me to hit the "high notes" on call.

If it doesn't work, I'm sure that alot of these great people on this message board with their knowledge are more then glad to help.
Thank you for taking your time to read my post.
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I still have a "double embrochure" but i m working hard to correct that. I find that a double embrouchure SIGNIFICANTLY hinders the abilityes of a trumpet player. Your slurs aren't as clean, your often in difficult situations going from low to high in one breath and you begin to rely on mpc pressure. So i m doing chromatics starting from a low F# and going up to about a high G and then holding it and then sluring back down and back up. All in one breath and no changing my embrouchure. The key is to start out with a nice tight embrouchure and use your air and ab support to go down and come back up. Don't try and "bob" your head up and down to make the task easier. Soon enough, you'll find that you'll be using one embrouchure, your range is up go a high "single" C without problems and you can slur all the way down to a low C and back up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER BUYING ALL THESE BOOKS IN ONE GO [£26// $40] ...COS THEY'LL BE A HELP IN THE LONG RUN.

THEY HAVE CD ACCOMPANIMENT AND ALTHOUGH THEY ARE KIDS BOOKS THEY WILL HELP YOU TO FIND + KEEP 'THE BLOW or lip focus, an aid in RIDING THE AIRSTREAM for free!!. [CHECK CAREFULLY YOUR TUNING AGAINST YOUR CD PLAYER]

THEY HAVE WELL DESIGNED MELODIES WHICH GO THROUGH MANY STYLES AND WILL ALSO HELP WITH YOUR SIGHTREADING!

YOU CAN AT FIRST LEARN TO PLAY BOOK 1- AS IS-- WITH LIP FOCUS / AIR SUPPORT THEN YOU WILL START AGAIN PLAYING IT 8VA ,KEEPING THE SAME FEELING OF EASE OF OPERATION.

WHEN STARTING BOOK 1 8VA - IN CONJUNCTION WITHIN YOUR WEEKLY ROUTINE YOU WILL START BOOK 2 AS IS ---EVENTUALLY THE GOAL IS TO PLAY BOOK 2 8VA ALSO.

CREDIT CARD PURCHASE IS AVAILABLE....
======================================================================
THE JOCK McKENZIE TUTOR BOOK
FOR YOUNG BRASS PLAYERS
[BOOK 1] -- By Ian McKenzie

TREBLE CLEF for Trumpet & Brass Band Instruments £5.50

61 of the melodies have Piano /Keyboard Accompaniments, which are also recorded on CD
at an extra cost of: £7.50 for the Bb /CD/piano accompaniment book.
Available from http://www.mostynmusic.com [enquiries@mostynmusic.com]

Telephone:
+44 (0)23 9255 0566

Fax:
+44 (0)23 9255 0566

8 Milvil Court
Milvil Road
Lee-on-the-Solent
Hampshire
PO13 9LY
UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE JOCK McKENZIE TUTOR BOOK
FOR YOUNG BRASS PLAYERS
[BOOK 2] -- By Ian McKenzie

TREBLE CLEF for Trumpet & Brass Band Instruments £5.50

Melodies have Piano /Keyboard Accompaniments, which are also recorded on CD
at an extra cost of: £7.50 for the Bb /CD/piano accompaniment book.
Available from http://www.mostynmusic.com [enquiries@mostynmusic.com]

Telephone:
+44 (0)23 9255 0566
Fax:
+44 (0)23 9255 0566

8 Milvil Court
Milvil Road
Lee-on-the-Solent
Hampshire
PO13 9LY, UK
===============

THE ABOVE HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP TO MY EMAIL/LIVE PUPILS....

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: