• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Special Method of playing high notes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmpt_plyr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Special Method of playing high notes Reply with quote

Is there a special method for playing high notes? I have a teacher who says that there is, and he wants me to stop playing all music and exercises and do nothing but slurs all day long. I feel like it's kind of necessary... what does everyone else think?
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone should second guess what your teacher might be trying to accomplish, but here is the best method I have found for improving range:

http://www.r-o-d-d-y-t-r-u-m-p-e-t.cc/catindex.html
Usnbratt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got caught up in the high note thing, and I'm still paying for it in my senior year of college. Don't get wound up in playing high notes, it can slow you down in developing the skills and habits that will make you a much better player in the long run.
Austin Custom Brass 3C
University of Rhode Island 11'
Assistant Band Director, East Providence High School
-Ed
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the horn down and visualize in your mind playing high notes. That's all you really need.

Kent
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, I assume that the teacher you refer to is your band teacher and not an experienced trumpet teacher. While opinions vary, most would agree that the only good way to a better upper register is through careful practice with an experienced trumpet teacher. Without a good instructor and daily routine odds are good that you will flail, develop bad habits and wind up totally frustrated.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Special Method of playing high notes Reply with quote

trmpt_plyr wrote:
Is there a special method for playing high notes? I have a teacher who says that there is, and he wants me to stop playing all music and exercises and do nothing but slurs all day long. I feel like it's kind of necessary... what does everyone else think?

I think you either misunderstood your teacher's instructions, or you need another teacher.
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenoValet wrote:
I don't think anyone should second guess what your teacher might be trying to accomplish, but here is the best method I have found for improving range:

http://www.r-o-d-d-y-t-r-u-m-p-e-t.cc/catindex.html

There's nothing wrong with focusing on improving your high range, if that's your favorite part of playing the trumpet. But to neglect everything else is unwise. A great high register is a function of being in great shape on the horn.

Last edited by holeypants on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, Charles. It's like watching a movie and fast forwarding to the explosions. There is so much more to playing than this ridiculous focus on the high register. I can't tell you how much time I wasted, both in school and now as a middle aged comebacker with three years under my belt fooling around upstairs in the "attic." It's ok to clean out the cobwebs a bit, but don't try to make it a living room.

Ed
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Special Method of playing high notes Reply with quote

trmpt_plyr wrote:

Are you sure this is what your teacher said? I think you had better ask just to make sure.
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

You can get the answer to your first question here http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
Bach Strad/Harrelson Conv.
Getzen Severinsen
Conn 8B (4-sale)
Martin Committee/Imperial (4-sale)
Olds Studio/(4-sale)
Flugelhorn:
Yamaha 231S Flugel
lucky_taino13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Helping you out on your upper register Reply with quote

I also got cought up on my upper register and thought all I needed was a new mouthpiece every few days and so I found out that wasnt the case. A good way to get up there is to really work on core breathing and being able to go from lower pedal tones to your highest note possible. This doesnt work for everyone but I did it as a warm up and after awhile I saw an improvement in my intonation and how solid my notes where coming out.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Special Method of playing high notes Reply with quote

trmpt_plyr wrote:
Is there a special method for playing high notes?

I guess that depends on what you consider a "high" note. Anything from low C (c below the staff) to high C (C above the staff) does not require "special" methods. There are many that would argue that you don't even need anything special to double C and beyond...

trmpt_plyr wrote:
I have a teacher who says that there is, and he wants me to stop playing all music and exercises and do nothing but slurs all day long.

You either heard him wrong or you need to find another teacher...
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip slurs won't give you high notes.

Great embouchure technique will give you high notes (and everything else, too).
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewwilkie86 wrote:
Lip slurs won't give you high notes.

Great embouchure technique will give you high notes (and everything else, too).

i agree. lips slurs will definitely improve your flexibility but won't necessarily give you high notes.
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip slurs can help the high regester develop because you can't slur if too tense and tight, so this will help your high range as far as EASE of playing, and getting a good full sound up there. It gets you to relax in the upper regester. Anybody with a decent set of chops can "ska-weee" all day long, but to sound musical up high, ( Like Severensen) flexies will help.
To get expanded range?.. Not sure if flexibilities do that for ya. I couldn't say for sure. But lip slurs in the extreme upper limits makes it sound better.

Bobby List
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, another misinformed teacher misleading a student....

As Claude Gordon said: "High notes are inevitable. They'll develop right along with the rest of the machine with proper practice and development."

Any method that seeks to do nothing but improve the upper register does so (if it does so, which it probably doesn't) at a cost of the lack of development in all the other neccessary and perhaps more important aspects of playing.

Find a new teacher, preferably one who studied with Claude Gordon.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Pete Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Special Method of playing high notes Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:
There are many that would argue that you don't even need anything special to double C and beyond...

You definitely don't need anything special to play a double C. If everything else in your embouchure is working, the high notes will be there. It's just a question of practicing properly and practicing enough (and, perhaps just as important, resting enough...). If your embouchure is not efficient, all the lip slurs in the world won't save you.

But I don't think we should be second guessing his teacher, who actually sees and hears him play.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the high note systems I know of are flawed. Most seriously flawed. As well as most/all methods discussing embouchure and air movement.

None of them have much of a clue as to the physics of the game. thus they are similar to witchcraft. Would you go to a doctor who prescribed leeches and prayer as a major course of his treatment? Well then you understand my thoughts on pretty much all the publications I've seen.

The good news is that most trumpet players don't have even a solid usable high C. Thus if the original poster were to practice his sight reading and develop that range he'd be well ahead of the game compared to most.

Even the Double C is well over emphasized. In the past forty years I've seen precisely one written for a public performance for profit. And the lead singer requested that we didn't play it. Didn't want us over shining his star.

A lead player with a reliable High F who plays in tune and in time? All he needs to do is act professionally and hope the local market needs trumpet players.
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've used Leeches in the past to help my trumpet playing. Most of you guys on here just call them "Booking Agents".

Bob
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobList wrote:
Actually, I've used Leeches in the past to help my trumpet playing. Most of you guys on here just call them "Booking Agents".

Bob

In addition to booking agents please include nightclub owners bandleaders, live in girlfriends and current and ex-wives.

We'll give a free pass to 'chair fillers'* for now but maybe not for long.

* "Chair filler" being a brass player who fills a seat but makes only a minimal, limited contribution to the ensemble. Less common outside of community bands (where nearly half the band may contain this species). In professional circles it is generally some kind of connected good ol boy whom the locals can't really get rid of lest he cause trouble.

The kind of cat who may own the rehearsal studio or P/A system but can't play for beans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: