• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It's over - thanks guys

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lubonv
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Dave, thank you for the great contribution!

Somebody not really interested only in range may also choose a slide trumpet!!!

Lb

It's slide times.... check myspace!

Custom Made Slide Trumpet & Slide Flugelhorn
SC3

Myspace
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
the measure of the trumpet as a desirable instrument to so many peopleis how far above high C a player's range extends.

Not to any listeners, that I know! (Players only) I find audiences greatly prefer tasteful, controlled playing with great sound that never even reaches a high C; even over incredibly masterful technique that focuses on high notes. Of course if that tasteful, controlled playing with great sound also makes tasteful controlled use of high notes, it can be the icing on the cake ... but DHC ain't necessary for the effect.
mgronda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
I think that playing the trumpet is a lifelong endeavor. You work at it forever. You have good days and not so good. True for everyone, even the pros.

Well said, I also have learned never put a time limit on my goals. By doing so one get very frustrated if it is not reached within that time limit. It seems to me after putting that away, I have been playing more relaxed and experience more productive practice sessions.
Lastly, one who truly loves the trumpet never gives up.

mg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trombateer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 0f 5
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played trumpet for over 20 years, now. I've never played a DHC in my life. I'd be cool, but honestly, I've got other trumpet things to work on. I've never needed range like that in any of the gigs I've done. Granted, I'm not a jazz or lead player. There's nothing wrong with range like that, of course.

If you're judging your success or skill as a trumpet player only on your range - you're using the wrong criteria. I know I'm a much better musician than some people who can play in that range. There are others many who can't play in that range that are also better musicians than me. And, of course, there are many who can play up there and are better than me as well. That's fine. I play the best I can, when I can. I try to enjoy what I play, and when I play. If it's not fun, why do it?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studied trumpet/cornet and other horns in both public schools and college and none of the methods here were mentioned. Thus, haven't studied them so I've no comment about them. I bought my first Arban's book on my own just as I bought or acquired sheet music that I perceived as being more challenging, and that said my first Arban's book began falling apart so bad that I bought another to use.

Going back to public schools when in retrospect I believe I had a great teacher and band director, in general he told us not to be concerned about DHX ... let the pic trumpets do it, as we then had two rotaries. Thus, in my retrospect we pretty steadily played from the C below staff to the G# immediately above the staff about 95+% of the time as IMO the best tonal sound for trumpet/cornet is (especially student quality instrument) and again IMO where 95+% of the music for trumpert/cornet is written.

I first laid down my instruments to pursue life priorities and set aside debt, even working part-time while in USAF at various jobs inclusive of many photo ops. The boom fell when now ex pawned / sold my instruments and many other possessions, but I then rented another instrument for college but that added more debt as required two jobs to lay aside allowing no time or instrument to play beyond college

Joining up with an old USAF buddy we launched a going photo studio and photo product supply partnership until his untimely accidental death and I got hung high and dry with most of the business debt owing to fact that neither of us had considered key employee insurance or incorporated. On the street hustling as many jobs as I could do ... including night watchman ... until that debt was laid aside. I then was hired for training as recruit in law enforcement as within I went to night school and achieved second BS in police science and criminolgy and applied to the Feds and was accepted, not to again pick up the horns again until disabled about 30 years later.

Other threads pick up my story from here to the present when due to currrent health and dental issues my horns just lay in their cases or around me and taunt me. At sometime in the future I'll comeback or be dead before I can. You'd say it might be much worse for me to now listen to my own recordings but it isn't ... such is more the incentive for me to return because I now know what my ability in music truly is (and what it is not).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
John, If you get into your typical Callet bashing I’ll have to delete it. But perhaps we can keep you on target a little while for some actual, honest discussion. Surely, you aren’t saying that after 4 years of studying with Mr. G that every player was at a consistent, pro level.

Certainly not Kyle. In fact that was the implicit meaning of my writing the following in my reply to the original poster:

John Mohan wrote:
One more thing I want to mention: If you look at the stuff under my name, you'll see that I studied with Claude Gordon for 14 years. 14 years. Think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: