• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's After a 7C?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a "teen" trumpet player, and I've been using my Generic 7C mouthpiece for a while now, at least 3 years I believe. I can get a nice solid "single" C on it and G's aren't a problem.

But I want to develop my embouchure and achieve a richer tone. I've heard a lot about a 3C and a 3B and I was wondering if it would be the next step after a 7C? I feel that I've reached a wall in terms of tonal quality.

After getting my next tone polishing mouthpiece, I might consider getting a lead mouthpiece because this high school jazz stuff is getting harder! *I hate those 8va signs*
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Bach 3C today and now I can see why so many here rave about this mpc, it is very very nice. I thought my Schilke 14B was good but I really like the cup side and rim feel of the 3C.

I may be sending it off to have the rim gold platted along with my 14B. Give the 3c a try, its a nice mpc.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bootleg, what grade are you in? And I would highly suggest you go to the 3C. Not until you're probably in your junior or senior year or are truely developed on the 3C would I recommend the lead piece. The 8va signs are only optional, I know it's tempting and makes the piece sound fuller with that octave up, but unless you're extremely comfortable up there on the 3C, don't get a lead piece. Lead pieces may only help your range by a whole step or two (at the very most) but sometimes it can just be the same as on your regular piece. A lead piece is only for higher endurance and a brighter sound. Hope this helps!
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I going into grade 10...but I have a 50% chance of playing lead....a huge task for a 10th grader!!! If I do play lead, i'll probably be one of the first...if not the only grade 10 to play lead. In grade 9, my freshman year at high school, when the lead wasn't there, I sometimes filled in for him, and kinda played 1st at practices, but damn, the stuff is too hard to for me. I mean, i can get the notes, but i have to work soo hard, and my lips just flop dead on me.

I think ima get a 3C and concentrate on it for about a year, and see if i see some improvement.

Vincent Bach 3C is it!
klorenz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly follow Aaron G's advice about not going to the lead or shallower mothpiece. I went from a 7C to a schilke 14a4a! What a mistake that was. I am now currently playing a Bach 1 1/4C, but the change to that mouthpiece was extremely difficult and took about 6 months of hard practice to build endurance and range on it. I still use the 14A4a, but only for lead playing and i dont find it too difficult to switch back and forth between the two.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd normally say go to a 3C, BUT you've still got range issues. Going to a larger piece "may" make it even harder for you. If you weigh under 150 lbs and don't have unusually large lips, then the 7C may still be the piece for you. You're at an awkward point where your muscles are developing somewhat but your face and lips may still be relatively small. I was 6", 170lbs before I went to a 1 1/2C (it took me decades to find out that a 3C is a better piece for me--now looking like Gumby and weighing a svelt 220).

Adding to your issues, you may be playing lead in a stage band. A 3C will be counterproductive in that situation UNLESS your lips are too large for your 7C (which I doubt, but I can't see you to judge better). Don't take any crap from those that would criticize your 7C. It's a great piece that suits many people.

Obviously, this is something you should discuss with your private instructor before you do anything on your own. Hopefully, he or she knows how to develop your range and help you swing.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd recommend sticking with the 7C for a while longer. It is a mid-sized mouthpiece that sounds pretty good for a huge part of the trumpet playing world. It fits a LOT of faces and will allow you to get stronger and more developed without straining even more on a bigger mouthpiece.

As "Doc" once said, "If you can't do it on a 7C, you can't do it!"

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Tom's opinion. Nothing wrong with a 7C. If it is comfortable, then stick with it. A larger mouthpiece with only change the timbre of your sound. It won't make it easier to play. Herseth among others, used a 7C when he first started playing in the Chicago Symphony. Stick with your 7C, and just forget about mouthpieces!
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought.......why not go to your local music shop and try out a 5C. It's middle ground and might give you a bit more of what you're looking for while not dramatically hindering your range. Might be worth a try.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the 7C diameter may be right for you, it could just be that the Bach rim doesn't work well with you. My diameter of choice is a Bach 3C-ish, but I can't stand their rims. Perhaps you should give some thought to staying within the 7C diameter but going with a different brand that has a different rim contour.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3c...and then monette B6...

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began on the 7c at age 10, and when I was in 10th grade I made a successful transition to a Bach 2 1/2 c. 3c ought to be no problem if you are already comfortable in the upper register. The larger sound you get in the middle and lower register on your 3c may tell you you've made the right choice. And it isn't so much bigger than the 7c that you'd lose any significant range. I actually gained range when I switched to the 2 1/2 c.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: