• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR 67MS? help needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaphod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching for a new toy...

Currently, I play a GR 67L for legit, and a Marc. E14.1 for lead, and I'm very content with this setup. Nevertheless, I'm looking for s.th. in between these two extremes.

Problems are:
- on picc., the 67L sounds and plays just fine, but too demanding in high register
- playing marching music, same as above
- when I change mpcs during a concert, or play two different concerts on one day (e.g. wind orchestra and BigBand), switching between such different mpcs is NOT EASY!

=> As I like my GR very much, I would like to have the same mpc with a shallower cup - the only problem is: with a different cup, it becomes a different mpc... hmmm.

So what about a GR 67MS? Can anyone compare its rim with a 67L? Or the throt/backbore? (how much air "gets through it")?

Does it make sense to try a slightly smaller diameter, e.g. the Almeida sig. model 66.5 MS?

I'll defenitely talk to Brian Scriver or Bruce Lee about that, too, but before I would like to hear your opinions/experiences!!

Any comments?
One cannot expect to attain the highest point of exellence without hard work and perseverance.[...] Try to improve to some extent each day and to experience that satisfying pleasure in having conquered what at first seemed to be an impossibility! - Clarke
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a GR 65MX for legit and my C trumpet. It is great on a C by the way. And a GR 65MS for jazz and lead. I have no problems switching back and forth between the two.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a 66MS for rock, funk, soul, etc. and a 66LX for a more legit sound and it's easy as pie to switch back and forth. OTOH, I've got a 66S that seems too tight for me (it seems to back up when I try to play loud). I understand that the S has a different backbore AND and shallower cup. Anyway, I'd bet you'll be happy with the MS, which takes me up to G over high-C.

FYI, I also double on flugel and it's no problem switching between the 66MS and the 66FL, even in the same song. (Don't change your embouchure when you play flugel. Let the mouthpiece do the work of changing the sound.)

Ciao,

Dave
Zaphod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to hear...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: