• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High Note/Air experiment

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So, blowing harder until your eyes bulge won't help you play higher."

Well, you do have to blow harder in a way. The air will move faster through your lips but the smaller apature will mean that less of that air can escape. In order to get the air moving fast enough you need to push harder and create greater preassure inside your body. Not until your eyes bulge though. Remember: higher notes are easier to hear so when you play at the same volume an octave up, it sounds more clearly (loudly if you like). If you push too hard you will just blow your lips out and will not be able to play very high at all.

Apart from that you were pretty much spot on.

-The Simpsons
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-15 05:45, John Mohan wrote:
Lip Compression? Lip Compression!?!?!

Have you forgotten everything I thought I taught you?!

It's the arching of the tongue that both speeds up the air and diminishes its volume (quantity).

Analogy:

First off note that in the following, volume refers to quantity, not sound-volume.

LOW NOTE: A garden hose. With no nozzle, it produces lots of volume with no power. It'll fill a bucket quickly, but if you hold it up it'll only go a few feet. This is a low note on a trumpet. Tongue flat (no nozzle), lots of air coming out the leadpipe, or tuning slide or bell if the horn is all in one piece (bucket fills fast).

HIGH NOTE: A garden hose with a nozzle. It produces little volume but lots of power. It takes much longer to fill the bucket, but'll shoot all the way across the yard.

Extreme high note: A Professional Water Pic that a dentist uses to clean your teeth. Almost no quantity but tons of power. Takes forever to fill a bucket, but that thin stream will rip you gums if you're dentist isn't careful.

Another way to note how little air (though lots of air POWER) is used on high notes is to realize that you can only hold a loud Low C for a fraction of the time you can hold a High C before running out of air.

Read "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" (again). In my absence, you've been tempted by the Dark Side of theories and all. Don't let this happen again George.

Cheers,

John Mohan

I haven't forgotten what Claude Gordon teaches. But it's sort of hard to tell him someone that studied Claude's method and that's blowing constant double C's in my face that what he is telling me about lip compression and what he learned is false...

I'm just listening to my private instructor. He seems to know what he's talking about and he's one of the best teachers and players in the country.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the "Should I take one big breath or just enough to play the passage."

Personally, I always take a big breath, its just been a habit of mine. Cause every since i started playing, I was told to sit up, take a deep breath and fill my lungs and body with air and support the sound. It helps me get a rich full tone. But in some pieces, its best that you take a breath earlier than when you run out because the next passage is too long for one breath.

So basically, I take a deep breath always, and when i haave to take another breath, i kinda full a half empty lung. I haven't found any difficulties with this method yet.

But if someone could provide a point about taking a small breath, I'd be willing to try it out.
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with taking a deep breath. It's overfilling on the breath that will cause tension. I used to over fill all the time and you could hear it in my sound. I've gotten into the habbit of taking in a big breath now, but not to the point of tension.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino writes:

"I doubt anyone has put this much effort into an experiment to work out which method is correct."

There IS no right or wrong.....

JUST what works best for you PHYSIOLOGICALLY, and for your use as a VISUALISATION!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: