• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How come their are no hero's int he trumpet designing world?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHAMP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah blah blah...this thread was fun until morris started up...
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow now everything is converging for some real fireworks this week!
Curry JMZ14
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please end this thread and ban the drama queens
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:

If you read his post, you'll realize that this is the second time that he has posted that list of reading material. It is available in another of the Cap'n's threads, too.
I did read his post, but I didn't know it was posted somewhere else.
But yeah, the flammage in this thread is getting a little outa hand. I guess we can pretty safely assume all the good of this thread has been done.

I still like the picture. Especially the fact that the cat is apparently browsing TH.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn6B wrote:

If you were indeed a Godly person, then you would know that only God can open doors and only God can close doors.

I think about 250 million Buddhists would rephrase that question as:

"you were truly enlightened, you would realize there is no door, and it is only our misconceptions that create barriers."
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings us full circle:

2 more trumpet design heros - Jerome Callet and Jason Harrelson.

Wayne Tannabe, also, too.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware the "interior monologue"......... and of course the self-possessed.

Perhaps a little poetry to "lighten" the mood....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3vDMtzS7KI&feature=related

The challenge is of course to listen all the way through and then bring something positive to the table and not sink to the depths.

Walter
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1B wrote:
"How come their are no hero's int he trumpet designing world?"

Hey Captain,

I too neglected your rant as I usually do. However, let's work on some basic English skills: "their" as written means to belong to. I think you were intending to use "there" instead. In any case, I'm happy you are able to relieve your daily stresses with your useless rants.

Good luck,
Jaimie Hall

please check the proper use of the apostrophe as well
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy! I give up. Sorry about my bad manners and for being critical. It's obvious I don't know which end of the thingie to put to my mouth and which end to...oh yeah, sorry.

My heros: F.E. Olds (my recording), Roy Lawler (my LawlerBb), Bobby DeNicola (my Puje), Zig Kanstul (my 1525), Felix Vayser & Gary Stoner (my Stage 1 Cal C), Nick Drozdoff - de-mystifier of trumpet physics, Dave Monette, Gary Radke, Mark Curry, Denis Wick,...

veery
Don Miles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa

Last edited by Don Miles on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno Don ... there are a few trumpet makers and a goodly number of teachers I swear are super heros cape and tights or not. There are a few teachers I'd like to see in tights and a mask maybe ... but that is different.
I've not yet played one of your horns Don, but I look forward to an opportunity.

Zig Kanstul, Dick Akright, Terry Warburton, Josh Landress, Chuck Alexander, Fred Powell, Dave Monette are all names that ring out in my world. Ours is a pretty small community and there are folks we recognize that the average person would not.

IRT Capt irk ... he is a special case and I think as a community we have the choice of validating his ramblings with comment OR ignore him. It's like looking at a train wreck or barnyard pal videos. You know you shouldn't look but cannot turn away. There have been a good number of threads he's started that have generated lively conversation. There is a greater number of threads that turn into a flamming, bashing mashup. We've choices, we are not trombone players.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
Sneklof

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've played some Don Miles trumpets, you'll have a higher bar for your superheros. Don is a saint who builds trumpets with the highest perfection and integrity. I believe he makes all the parts from scratch except the corks and springs. He even made custom tools to make the parts. Don't be deceived by the lack of show in his shop, the depth of his talent is staggering. Because he does it all himself, you won't find high serial numbers... more like #015, #016, etc. These instruments will be in high demand once players experience the difference. You'd be wise to get one while you can.
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the original question, "cold hard facts" do not necessarily agree with the human condition. Like anything relating to individual people, there is no formula that ensures consistent results. Why are there hundreds of models of cars, thousands of models of shoes and a gazillion mouthpiece sizes? Because everyone is different. There will never be a person that publishes the "answers" to trumpet players' questions as each answer is subjective to the individual.

Now if you're looking for a specific solution for a specific player in a range of genres, then you have a few dozen talented individuals with whom you may consult and likely receive excellent results. But that will cost you money, time, energy and possibly travel expenses. Consulting with individual players on equipment, technique, acoustics, style, or whatever is very time-consuming and thus expensive. Or at least seemingly expensive, depending on how you quantify your time, money and results.

However, if you do the math, purchasing a Bravura for $3695 (this is my biased example, but substitute any handmade custom horn), adding several hours consultation and personal research time and travel expenses and you're close to $4000. Compare this with purchasing a new Bach, Yamaha or Schilke from a local music store for $2000 where you invest 1-2 hours time working with a knowledgeable professional sales rep. The range of options available in the mass market horns is very minimal, maybe around 10-15 possibilities between everything offered and much confusion in the process. You will spend roughly twice as much for the custom horn and depending on the model as much as 5 or 6 times as much!

So what do you get for double your money?

In most cases:
- professional, reliable advice from the designer and builder of the instrument
- a narrowed personalized choice of suitable options from the thousands of possible component combinations
- a personal guarantee
- advice and perspective on your specific goals as a musician in your particular genre(s)
- long list of custom options not available in mass manufacturing
- wait time because Americans are taking there time to carefully build your trumpet as specified
- greatly improved efficiency by design which by itself is worth the added cost in saved time, energy and missed notes over a standard manufactured design based on century-old physics principles that have been proven to be considerably less effective
- and you get to test your patience as (at least in my shop) we usually have around 50 orders on our shop list and only 5 employees to perform all the necessary manufacturing, assembly, phone calls and emails. Yes, it takes a lot of time and we will not always have time to chat on the phone every few days....patience

I believe it is important to make the process of choosing equipment straight forward and simple. However, the variables are complex and infinite. Why did Bach produce 4 basic models (25, 37, 43, 72) for so many years? Mass manufacturing requires limited and finite variables to be effective and profitable. Are there really only 4 types of players/genres? Obviously not. Support your smaller shops and manufacturers and you will see a proliferation of service, expertise and quality competition take the place of the status quo over time.

It will be the consumers (you trumpet players) who determine the available products, options, quality and overall effectiveness in a musical setting as you vote with your wallet. Buy mass manufactured China trumpets and your list of "heroes" will surely diminish in the coming years.

Jason Harrelson
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want your trumpet/cornet or other horn to do that it doesn't now do? I'm not seeking one that plays all by itself, that is for sure. The same rule applys to many other objects also. Yeah, the hammer that drives a nail with the push of a button is very nice for a carpenter but there are extreme limits to what music such a hammer would make on a marimba ... vis the marimba would be destroyed and its music gone forever.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any trumpeter (or other horn player) ready for a 7 valve horn? In musical theory it sounds feasible and in mechanics it seems possible IMHO. How about a variable dimension leadpipe, mechanically more difficult, but not impossible ... even adjustable to reverse. The one element I like most is a free floating bell (such as is not hampered by solid braces but actually is supported by another method). Multiple bells ??? The one I think has already been done but has disappeared is a double screw main tuning adjustment ... a cam is another possibility. The crux or conundrum of innovation in this context is added weight.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain,

But there are many, real, hidden and self-proclaimed ones included.
leadchops10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is though. lol His name is David Monette.
MisterE
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that new Schagerl horn that James Morrison had was pretty innovative for sure. I think Bob Malone is definitely top notch as well- his low rider Eb coversions especially. Do you think a Flumpet or a Raja Samadhi are just pedestrian variations on the same, tired theme? They all have some proprietary "secrets" (for lack of a better term) that makes them unique. Perhaps they just don't feel like sharing. Might hurt business, who knows? Just my opinion. But remember the old saying about opinions..... strong ones even more so.

Last edited by MisterE on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MisterE
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Conn6B wrote:

If you were indeed a Godly person, then you would know that only God can open doors and only God can close doors.

I think about 250 million Buddhists would rephrase that question as:

"you were truly enlightened, you would realize there is no door, and it is only our misconceptions that create barriers."

Awesome....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: