• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Focal Dystonia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was having a meal last night with a very well respected trombone player and teacher and he mentioned to me an illness known as Focal Dystonia. In case you have not heard of this (I hadn’t until last night), here is a brief description I have found:
“Focal dystonia ("musician's cramp") means loss of voluntary motor control over individual limbs. Slight instability of fingers, involuntary flexion or even cramping of the whole hand are among the many symptoms which are in most cases highly disabling for the performing artist and often end his professional career.”

In other words, one day you may wake up and just not be able to play, every player’s worse nightmare. He already knows about a number of trombonists and a couple of tuba players who have been affected by this and asked whether I had heard of any trumpet players with this. I had not, but I told him I would enquire as to whether anyone here on TH has.
I am not talking about “off days,” we all have those, I am asking about a physical condition that means you are often unable to play at all.
So, has anyone experienced this or heard of anyone that has?
I know this is asking for trouble with this forum, but is there any chance of avoiding the alleged “funny” answers?
The guy I was speaking to yesterday is hoping to find enough brass players with the condition to form some sort of support group that may be able to help in finding a cure. I am sure that if this were ever to happen to us we would like to think that other players are doing all they can to help.
Many thanks in advance
TrumpetMike
Lucian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of this condition, but do not know any trumpet players with it. I do, however, know a tuba player who has had the condition for quite sometime now. He can play again, but it's a struggle sometimes.
-Luc
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, they say that for all professional players, especially well established and well known players, it happens to them AT least once during their career.

sometimes, you wno't even notice, because its for only a short period of time, but for the unfortunate, sometimes this syndrome as you might call it can last weeks, and in severe cases, the professional is soo fed up with trying to regain the skillz he once had, that he gives up and it can end a career.

this is not as common in trumpeters, because the trumpet is mostly based on the muscles in the lip/face and the fingerings aren't necessarily "hardcore" in terms of skill, however, it is VERY VERY VERY common among violinist, cellists, and pianists.

there was a movie a couple of years back, about 2 sisters, who played the cello. one of whom became world famous, however, she received this syndrom in a severe form and couldn't walk or talk or eat or do anything. and was forced to end her career...

some say that OVER practicing is the cause of this, your brain is soo tuned into playing that instrument day in and day out that one day it simply snaps. however, i am pretty sure that nobody on this forum is close to getting to that stage. although, it does help if you know about and be consciously aware of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PhattyRoses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that are interested in reading a little more about this, there is currently a thread about it going on at http://www.samburtis.com/forum. Here's the dirrect link: http://www.samburtis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2353#2353
majhanso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My good friend, a flute player (don't shoot me over that one=]), was studying for an Education degree in music and just recently was forced to quit due to this condidtion. At this time she could still play, but the shaking (which settled in her arms and hands) made it difficult. The doctor advised her to find another major before it was too late. She can still play, but not for long periods of time and certainly not as much time as a major is required. It's really a sad story becuase she was so talented.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a comment on this in a similar thread started in the Lounge.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article about dystonia appeats in the March 2002 issue, pages 45-46. It was written by Joe Phelps, the gentleman Pat mentioned in his post in the lounge. His website is: http://roth-music.com/JoePhelps/

Best wishes,

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: