• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I feel like starting an argument

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Encourage, my furry butt.

Too much information. WAY too much!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
VetPsychWars wrote:
Encourage, my furry butt.

Too much information. WAY too much!

Gee, I only took at as a colorful adjective that added emphasis. Now, I've got a mental picture instead. Yikes! Thanks Don!

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasu* Uh, nevermind!
rivnut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... that was an interesting argument for a while. I learned to play back in the mid 60's. The Bach "scourge" (like the rabbits, I suppose, in numbers anyway.) hadn't worked it's way into the band programs at that point. Only one Player had a bach at that time, in a trumpet section of at least 10. He had first chair wrapped. A combination of private lessons and a good quality horn. The rest were a hodge podge of Getzens, Elkharts, Conn etc. Quite a variety, and I can only imagine how the various tones must have blended. I remember the band leader stopping the whole group cold and staring accusingly into the brass lineup and asking who was responsible for the excessively corny tone. It was usually me with my mangled instrument. A full $15 horn decorated with the marks from a blowtorch and a pair of vicegrips. The previous owner had obviously pulled a stuck mouthpiece the "hard way".

Anyway, it's possible that as years went by, the band departments felt that they might as well cash in on the increasing popularity of the bachs and have some continuity in their brass sections at the same time.

These days you look at typical small town music store offerings and it's a rack of Yamahas and Bachs. Do these numbers represent overwhelming use of these instruments? Could it mean that after going through the school band programs, Bach in hand, nobody wants them any more?

I don't know.

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: