• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Grip...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that this is completely subjective; everyone likes to hold their horn in their own way. However, I've recently been feeling that it's not entirely comfortable how I hold my horn with my left hand. Till now, I've used a rather unconventional method with my index finger over the bell and operating the third valve slide with my pinky. I was worrying that my grip might be affecting my embouchure so I'm trying a more conventional grip, but I just can't seem to find it all that comfortable. (Conventional being ring finger in the third valve slide ring, index and middle between valves and ring, pinky underneath) How do you guys hold your horn? Is there a "proper" way?

Thanks for your input.

Oliver
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is odd but works great, because of my hand size and is very comfortable, I suggest you try it - my borther showed it to me years ago, i forgot who he learned it from...

1. Left thumb on frist valve thumb hook vavle

2. Left index finger wrapped around third valve (just above the third valve slide)

3. Left middle finger in third vavle ring!

4. left wedding ring fing rest eiter on third vavle slde - or in my case it rests under the thrid vavle slide and wraps around the bottom of the third vavle (below the third valve slide)

5. left pinky wraps around the bottom of the third vavle side (below thrid slide and wedding finger) - pinkey will barly be able to grip it, it may fig but with big hand s it may only be on 1/2 to 3/4 on the vavle it self.

I have showed this grip to many that really liked it and feel that their hands are not longer smashed when holding the horn - and yes you can pull out the third and first vavle at the same time, no problem.....

will try to post a pic later, in case you could not follow the the post very well. That is if my buddy Patrick acutally brings over his camera tonight...

-marc

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-08-25 17:57 ]
TrumpetAdam
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is how I hold mine....

Left Hand-
-thumb in thumb saddle on the first valve slide
-pointer around 3rd valve
-middle also around 3rd valve
-ring finger in the 3rd valve ring (go figure?)
-pinky sits as it pleases either on slide or on top and in front of ring

Right Hand-
-thumb under leadpipe in between 1st and 2nd valves
-point 1st valve
-middle 2nd valve
-ring 3rd valve
-pinky on top of leadpipe a little in front of and down the right side of the pipe from the hook, it lands there naturally, on top of hook locks up my ring finger

whole right hand looks like I am holding a ball.
Schilke 14
my trumpet
=============================
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are pics of how i hold my trumpet with my left hand due to my big hands - if a pic does not show up then right click on it and click on "show picture"

keep in mind to take a pic of the back of my hand i had to twist my wrist to see that side of the horn with the camera so my hand may look a little streached between the thumb and index finger - but it is not like ths when it hold it while playing it...

if you want to see how i hold the horn with my right hand then let me know - i have the camera untill tomorow morning... but basicall i put my right thumb begween the first and second valve below the lead pipe...

if you cannot see the pictures then go to:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/drunkiq@sbcglobal.net

and then click on the folder labled HOLD.

-Marc

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-08-27 10:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-08-27 10:40 ]
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the suggestions! drunkiq, I'm actually using your suggestion now! What I was finding previously is that the weight of the horn was resting on my left middle finger and it just became too much of a strain after a long play session. Now, the majority of the weight is taken by my thumb and index finger, with some also on my middle finger (in the ring). It is very comfortable. I was concerned that I'd have a problem throwing the third slide, but seeing as how I use it rather rarely (I only use it for half notes and up... rarely on quarters) it doesn't seem to be a problem. However, my new horn will be arriving soon and it has a first valve trigger, so we'll see how that comes into play...

Oliver
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver -

I am sorry and did not tell you every detail and can fix your third valve ring problem

you cannot tell by the photo but my middle finger in the thrid rind does not go in very far - only up to the first nuckle -

try this, they moving the third slide will be no problem!! - you will notice that you actually push it with the skin just right behing your nail - this is totally different then what you are use to so make sure you third slide is well gressed up untill you build that tendon up...

here is a pic of how far my left index finger actually goes in (remember to right click - then clck on "show picture" if you see an empty box):

also to make everything work correctly (to move both the first and third slides at once) - you have to rest your first knuckle of your thumb on the thumb hook.. just like the third ring you have to use the area right behind the thunb nail to do the pushing for you....

here is a pic:

I seriously think they way we are taught to hold the trumpet is wrong... only beginners with small hands can do it the old fashion way with out there being some pressure on the left hand....

if you cannot see the pictures then go to:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/drunkiq@sbcglobal.net

and then click on the folder labled HOLD.

try this out and reply her to let me know if that helped some more - I am rather curious!

all the best,

-marc melton

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-08-27 10:40 ]
Dauminator3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold mine like a few of the above(middle finger in 3rd slide ring)

After playing there is an imprint all the way down my pinki of the little ridges of the bottom valve caps of my strad.

I also have a fat callus on the big joint of my ring finger from where the third valve rests on it.

Great fun----Jared
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is similar to a few others, but it is how my hand falls round the valves, i tend togrip it tight when i get tired which interupts my playing as there is no fluidity in the movement, try relaxing when you play.

anywho, my thumb goes in the first slide ring, index and middle finger around the third valve, ring finger in the third slide ring and pinky under the third slide but still gripping the third valve. a slight deformity that has been caused buy this is that my pinky on my left hand spreads farther out so i have a big gap between it and the next finger!

i have tried other grips but i have always gone back to the same one, i find that all i need to do is relax!

have fun, sam

[ This Message was edited by: samlg on 2003-08-27 04:45 ]
Zaphod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lightweight horn, and it seems to be less responsive when I touch it too much. So I use the following ("pistol grip"):

thumb in 1st valve hook
index finger in 3rd valve ring
middle finger below 3rd slide

(I don't really "grip" the trumpet, it just lies/balances on the middle finger)

It may not be comfortable for you, as the middle finger carries all the weight, but to me it works well (expecially the 3rd slide is very fast, and I don't have to move the whole left hand, so the horn is shaking less)
One cannot expect to attain the highest point of exellence without hard work and perseverance.[...] Try to improve to some extent each day and to experience that satisfying pleasure in having conquered what at first seemed to be an impossibility! - Clarke
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually read an article about this once in referece to Bill Chase and the trumpet players in his band. The article talked about holding the horn low on the valves, thus taking pressure off of your top lip. Believe it or not, this actually makes a difference.

I hold my horn (left hand) with my ring finger and little finger under the the third valve slide (sometimes I have my middle finger under the third valve slide too) with either my index or middle finger through the ring, depending on which variation of the grip I use. You can kind of see it in these photos.

and

For what it's worth.
(wow! It looks like I've got a death grip on it in the top photo! )

email me at: trickg1@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2003-08-27 09:45 ]
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Patrick, I hold it like that when I play lead. Everyone can say "less pressure" as much as they want, but I use pressure when Im playin lead, so I kinda have that "death grip" thing goin on sometimes too... but , the pressure I use doesnt interfere with my playing at least.
-J
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with the pressure thing too. I might look like I've got quite a grip going on in the photo, but if you look at my chops, it doesn't look like I'm using too much pressure. I would like to say thought that when I concentrate on working on using less pressure, playing lead type stuff is a little easier.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,

I know there is a problem with some of the pic popping up for some people -

I summurized it and even added a couple of pics to show just how far you can push out the first and third slides using this method..

pretty sure band with on this is going to run out quick - which means if you get the bandwidth message you willl need to re-try this link in about another hour or so....

I would not mind of a few of you that hold your horn differently try this method and give me some feeback on it....

here is the web site:

http://geocities.com/drunkiq/hold.htm

thanks!

-marc melton
drunkiq@hotmail.com
http://geocities.com/drunkiq

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-08-28 12:38 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: