• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

256 C Trumpet Bell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently obtained a Bach C Trumpet with a 256 bell. I have been curious about this model for a while. Nice warm sound. Anyone with any comments/opinions...your input is welcome.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

To me the 256 bell looks like a 37 Bb bell. It has a huge sound. Yours probably plays really well, but the ones I've tried were difficult to control in terms of intonation, clean articulation, and high register. I believe this is the newest C trumpet bell Bach makes, introduced about 10 years ago.

JU
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything John just said.

I used to own one of these (with H pipe) but could only sound good on it for 30 minutes - too big for me. Also, I found the sound was too rich - the horn didn't cut thru enough at louder dynamics in the orchestra.

These caused quite a stir when they first came out. Lloyd Filio (sp?) who used to work for Bach went around to all the big orchestras and a lot of the big name players liked them - initially.

romey

[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-08-31 08:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-08-31 08:55 ]
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

What leadpipe are you using on this bad boy. I remember trying one of those 256 monsters back in 94 / 95 maybe. When did they first come out? That was the first and last time I tried one. I remember thinking it sounded good but that was only for a few minutes. Good luck with the horn. If you don't like it throw a 229 on there. You could also experiment with a 229 Gold "G" or God Heavy "GH" I believe.

In Peace,

TM

Quote:

On 2003-08-31 08:36, romey1 wrote:
I agree with everything John just said.

I used to own one of these but could only sound good on it for 30 minutes - too big for me. Also, I found the sound was too rich - the horn didn't cut thru enough at louder dynamics in the orchestra.

These caused quite a stir when they first came out. Lloyd Filio (sp?) who used to work for Bach went around to all the big orchestras and a lot of the big name players liked them - initially.

romey

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-08-31 08:39 ]</font>
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This horn has the standard 25 leadpipe but it is the reverse configuration. Funny that some refered to it as "this big boy" because while the flair is a little wider than the 229 bell it is no where near as large as my 238 (Vindabona) bell. My frame of reference is that the 256 is closer to the 229 than the larger flaired 238. I was actually surprised when I saw it in that many had told me how big it was.

My 238 is in heavy gold brass with a 25S leadpipe and feels "larger" than the 256. I see the 256 as having some chamber music/soloistic applications due to its nice warm tone.

Some posts mentioned being happy with it "initially" and since I haven't played it that much yet (only about a week) and only in individual practice and a couple of ensemble rehearsal situations I suppose I need to hold off on making a clear judgement until I live with it more.

Getting the horn was an experiment as I am very happy with the 238 (best C I have ever played or owned) and I still consider it my main horn (even over my Vindabona Bb - 65 Gold Brass Bell and my Rotary C - 255 Gold Brass Bell).

Thanks for the input on the 256...

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does having a Bb 37 bell on a L bore C simulate that bigness you all mention about the 256?
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

You're right, the 238 bell is also huge. I've only ever played a couple of 238s, but they were both great horns. A friend owns a Mt Vernon 238 large bore that plays really well with good intonation and a beautiful sound. Someday I'm going to get him to sell it to me!

For me, somehow the 238 is easier to play than the 256. I wonder why the 238 never really caught on in a big way?

JU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: