• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

In search of Master Classes in Toronto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TP_Dad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read so much about Instrument Dealer shows and Master classes in the USA. I am looking for Master Classes for my daughter in Toronto, Canada.
Do any of you Torontonians know where I can get info on these classes. I was thinking of trying to get a hold of the University of Toronto to see if they could hook me up.
Does Barton Woomert or Chase Sanborn give master classes?

P.S. Has any of you out there have or have had Barton Woomert or Chase Sanborn as a teacher?
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Mr. Sanborn, but i know that Bart Woomert does give lessons. Friends of mine have studied with him, though I myself have not. Try getting in touch with him through the University of Toronto or the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.
TP_Dad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Softcase.

I know both Barton Woomert (according to his TSO profile) and Chase Sanborn (acc. to his web site) give lessons. I just wanted to get some feed back on how they are as teachers (a highly personal opinion based thing).

My Daughter is attending the Interprovincial Music Camp next week and will get to do master classes with Ray Tizzard and Barton Woomert. There is also the chance that the students may be able to get a private lesson with them as well. I'll have her ask Barton Woomert about getting her into master classes. I really would like to find some current or former students of these 2 teachers (or any other name they would like to throw into the mix)

[ This Message was edited by: TP_Dad on 2003-08-21 11:40 ]
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP_Dad --

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking, so if I'm off-base with my answer, please clarify and I'll try to re-focus my reply.

If you're asking about dealer- or manufacturer-sponsored masterclasses, there aren't a tremendous number of them. Occasionally Long & McQuade will bring in artists (check their website) but many of the clinics they sponsor are equipment-related (e.g. GR, Stork). Both U of T and the Conservatory will occasionally have guest artist masterclasses which are open to the public. (For information about stuff at the Con, check their website, although there are no listings for the upcoming year at this time.)

I believe that the trumpet studios at U of T and the Con also have regular masterclasses with their trumpet faculty. Most schools are happy to have people come in and observe those masterclasses; you should contact the respective trumpet faculty for information. If such masterclasses do exist, I would be surprised if the faculty objected to her attending some of them. (The university may have less permissive rules, however...)

As for Chase and Bart as teachers, both are highly-regarded. Chase has a primarily jazz/commercial focus and I believe studied with Donald Reinhardt. I'm personally not a fan of Reinhardt's pedagogy, but everything I have heard indicates that Chase does a good job of conveying it. You can probably find his books at libraries and music stores in TO if you want to get an idea of his teaching. I know less about Bart's actual teaching approach, but I do know a number of people who have studied with him and all speak highly of him. He is certainly a fantastic player and a great guy. Your daughter will almost certainly have enough contact with him (and with Ray Tizzard, also a fine player and a real gentleman -- and I'm not just saying that because he's on my tenure committee...) at IMC to make an informed decision.

Richard Sandals
TP_Dad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post Richard.

I mentioned the Instrument dealer stuff as part of a comment on not my hearing much about what was going on in T.O.. Master Classes are my real focus.

I tried the Con listings and, like you, came up dry. I'll take your advice and get in contact with the Con's trumpet faculty in September. Hopefully my Daughter will impress Mr. Woomert with the seriousness of her trumpet studies and find her way to one of his master classes. I have heard from the IMC administrator that both Mr. Tizzard and Mr. Woomert are very approachable.

Again, Thanks for the post Richard.

[ This Message was edited by: TP_Dad on 2003-08-22 10:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TP_Dad on 2003-08-22 10:37 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP_Dad,

Richard is to modest to mention it, but he is also a fine professional trumpet player in your area and one heckuva teacher!
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-21 11:37, TP_Dad wrote:
My Daughter is attending the Interprovincial Music Camp next week

hey, i am too! should be a good week =)
TP_Dad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Sunday (up at IMC) I had the fortune to meet Ray Tizzard. He was every bit the gentleman Richard Sandals said he was. My Daughter barely had the opportunity to talk to Bart (save a discussion around why she chose a Xeno over a Strad - sound). She did however get to spend over an hour each day with Ray (just her and one other player). It was a great experience for her and one she hopes to repeat next year.

Ray suggested that we have my daughter audition for the Hannaford Street Youth Band. We are looking into that prospect (possible conflicts with her Toronto Youth Concert Winds may cause us some logistical problems). They apparently run some clinics for their band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: