• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue Arch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave_pepin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came to a realization that my range problem could be because I have never had a teacher explain, or even introduce the tongue arch to me. I hear some other people talking about it and I get the idea, but could somebody tell me if they think that I could be correct? I have always just used my chops for lip slurs, and have never been able to go above a second leger line "C" with much consistency. If I work on this should my range improve? What excersizes do you guys recommend? Thanks.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In about 1976 or '77 I was in the same position you are now in (learning for the first time about the true role of the tongue in trumpet playing).

You've always used your tongue in "lip slurring", you just didn't realize it, and you haven't been using it enough. You can't move very far in range without a movement of the arching tongue.

But, when you do consciously realize, and facilitate the movement of your arching tongue you will arrive at the point where slurring, flexibility and the upper register become much easier to do. It won't happen overnight, but with time and development (and the knowledge that you're learning) it'll definitely happen.

I'd advise you to order and read Claude Gordon's "Brass Playing is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" (a text-only book) and also order "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet". Get these NOW. Both are published by Carl Fischer and both can be ordered from the Claude Gordon Website maintained by his widow Patricia Gordon:

http://www.claudegordonmusic.com

When these books arrive, read "Brass Playing..." cover to cover, and read the first 10 pages (the text pages) of "Systematic Approach..." thoroughly.

If you don't already own "27 Groups of Exercises" by Earl D. Irons (published by Southern Music Corp), order it too - you're going to be needing it next week when you start playing again. Same goes for Herbert L. Clarke's "Technical Studies for the Cornet".

And send me an e-mail with your e-mail address and phone number. At 5 cents a minute, I can afford to give you a phone call and help you out a little over the phone. Or (better yet), I can e-mail you back with the phone number of the hotel I'm in this week in Amsterdam and you can foot the phone bill. (I really don't care which way we do it) I will set you up with a simple and effective Practice Routine that will send you down the shortest and surest road to success as a Trumpet Player.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
dave_pepin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mohan, I hope you recieved my other email. If you did not, you can reach me at dave_pepin@hotmail.com. Thank you again.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: